Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4 July 1990 - where were you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]So why bring it up in the first place?

My second post was me being polite.
    The reason why i brought it up in the first place you was mistaken about events that happened 20 years ago.
    If you saw a post that I or someone else had written and knew it to be wrong I'm sure you would comment.
  • Options
    I was only 12 so was at home with my Dad and Brother. Just gutted when we lost on penalties. I had cheered on Republic of Ireland against Romania in a shoot out and they won and we lost. Just sat there in abject silence when Waddle missed. First time I'd really felt gutted when watching England. In the last 20 years it's a feeling I've come to know quite well...
  • Options
    Was in my bar in Thailand. I remember the Belguim game more as the place nearly exploded when we scored that late. Members of Her Maj armed forces firing rockets into the Begium bar down the road !! Next day we packed his bar out and had a great ye ha with em all .

Last nights TV The Game That Changed Football-------- sad as hell seeing Bobby Robson just before he died and Gaza.

Tavern a gent with a Hat phoned me after the above TV prog. He said he was out there and potless with two Bmob faces ring any bells mate ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Watched it in the Clubhouse of my cricket club, Blackheath CC. Went straight to the Beehive afterwards.
    The Stones were playing Wembley that night and Jagger wouldn't come on till the game had finished. I saw them on either the previous or following Saturday, can't remember now.

I had a ticket for the Stones that night, Jagger did go on while England played and he never mentioned the game.

I was there that night too. Strange atmosphere, bit like the last game of the season with dodgy rumours of people scoring running through the crowd.
  • Options
    In The Royal in Eltham. Curtains came down and TV put through on final whistle. Apparently a lot of German made cars got vandalised in Eltham afterwards as well. Brainless. I thought the defeat in Euro 96 was more painful. In the Greyhound in Eltham for that - great atmosphere throughout the tournament in there and no nonsense after losing, just everybody feeling sad rather than aggressive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]In The Royal in Eltham. Curtains came down and TV put through on final whistle. Apparently a lot of German made cars got vandalised in Eltham afterwards as well. Brainless. I thought the defeat in Euro 96 was more painful. In the Greyhound in Eltham for that - great atmosphere throughout the tournament in there and no nonsense after losing, just everybody feeling sad rather than aggressive.

I was there in 96 and agree more painful. Mick Jagger was standing a yard to my right through shoot-out and left when Southgate missed so he didn't Muller's impression of him, unless somebody who wasn't there can tell me otherwise.
  • Options
    Just spoken to Mick. Chirpy's wrong and you are right too Lawrie - he remembers you standing just to the right of him
    I've asked him if he wants to buy Charlton and he's thinking on it - local lad and all that.
  • Options
    Watched it at home.

My brother was at that Stones Gig. He says they played their set during the game. Loads of people had radios to get the score.
  • Options
    Programme starting on itv in a min.
  • Options
    ITV 4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really enjoyed the programme last night, some true greats that night.

Agree with the above post, the moment Gazza found out about Sir Booby asking about him was very moving.

As for where I was, was only a year old in 1990.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]As for where I was, was only a year old in 1990.

So you're really cafcdan21, right?
  • Options
    So you're really cafcdan21, right?[/quote]

Spot on
  • Options
    Smiley winky thing!
  • Options
    Was running a 3 star hotel in Alum Chine Bournemouth.
    It was a 24/7 life, but we made sure we saw the match.
    It seems like a different lifetime
  • Options
    To be completwly honest, I actually thought the ITV documentary was pretty poor, BUT in terms of nostalgia and recapturing a few memories it did the job.

Truth is, an England team got panned by the press (what's new) for some pretty average group game performances - where a late goal against the might of Egypt saw us through I onto a game with Belgium where we got done but spawned a last minute extra time goal, then onto the mighty Cameroon - where we needed two dudious spot kicks (well done Gary!) And extra time to win. Before we actually played bloody well against the Bosch and should really have won.

That said, its the closest to winning a World Cup we've ever got in my lifetime so am happy to go with the flow!
  • Options
    I was there, directly in line to see the waddle shot that came back off the post. Had only decided to go out there after we had beaten belguim and travelled out by train with a mate and a west ham fan who used to live next door to me in belvedere. The west ham fan got very nervous at dover as he had a conviction for an offence with a flare gun so was worried he might not be allowed on the ferry. We got trains (we are addicks after all) all the way to naplesn we were way too late to get flights and watched the cameroon game, enjoyed naples more than turin as the locals were friendlier, then the two of us going to the semi went to turin, via a day on a beach near genoa, there was chaos getting tickets. But eventually they did start selling them and think we paid about 40 quid. Campsite was attacked the night before by hundreds of juve fans, after the police had seemed to melt away and england fans defended their territory well. The match was over so fast, it all went by in a daze really, that night we got straight on a train to paris, not sure anyone had a ticket but the italian police just wanted everyone out of there asap. Paris the next day was lively, but we were glad to be going home, despite still being gutted about losing. A week of sleeping on trains or floors and drinking the cheapest italian wine we could get, plus the fact we were seriously skint had taken its toll and the feeling of relief at seeing the white cliffs of dover that evening was incredible. Great experience, but hard work as well.

Anyone know when this programme is being repeated as I missed it last night.