Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs in the Evening Standard

He's been having a chat with Mick Collins

“I was told I was on the [Fulham] shortlist but that there were a couple of people ahead of me, so I knew that was going nowhere,” said 52-year-old Curbishley. “I've got to wait and see if the phone rings.

“If you look at my career, my average position in the Premier League is 10th, so that's where I need to be looking. No offence to anyone else but the Premier League is where everyone wants to be.

“I'll maybe have to reposition myself. Who knows? Start over again, if I have to. It's damaged me a bit, because I've been out for a while, and it's hard to come back if you're away for too long.”

Comments

• Options
    It's crazy that in this financially unstable times Curbs is out of a job.

Great manager and I think Fulham will regret not putting him number 1 on the list.
  • Options
    He can come back if he wants, wouldnt want him to be missing the day to day life in football. Sure we could fit him into the coaching set up somehow
  • Options
    fulham may feel that chasing a cup is for them rather than 10th.
  • Options
    To be honest, if he is holding out for a top 10 Premiership job, then he is likely to be waiting forever.

Great manager, but times move on and it becomes ever more difficult for a chairman to take a risk on someone who the fan will see as 'yesterday's man'.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: StevieK[/cite]To be honest, if he is holding out for a top 10 Premiership job, then he is likely to be waiting forever.

Great manager, but times move on and it becomes ever more difficult for a chairman to take a risk on someone who the fan will see as 'yesterday's man'.[/quote]

Sadly I agree, he needs to look at a reasonable championship team that he can move forward and rehabilitate his reputation.
  • Options
    Come home Curbs.

Maybe more of our fans would appreciate you properly now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Come home Curbs.

Len's Favourite subject :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Come home Curbs.

Len's Favourite subject :-)

He's right though.
  • Options
    The grass isn't always greener either. . . . .
  • Options
    Interesting stuff. Have laid off my rather heavy Curbs for next Fulham manager after reading this, leaving a smallish green.

I think he's expecting too much if he thinks a top ten side will offer him a job.

He was magnificent here but some of his signings at West Ham was dubious and his ability to man-manage 'big name' players must be in doubt if he wasn't able to handle the likes of Danny Murphy, Paul Konchesky etc who are nothing more than 'mid-name' players at best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't him and parky take the reigns and the valley?? ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite] his ability to man-manage 'big name' players must be in doubt if he wasn't able to handle the likes of Danny Murphy, Paul Konchesky etc who are nothing more than 'mid-name' players at best.

probably why he isnt Fulhams number 1 target then
  • Options
    His achievement of keeping the Hammers up was incredible and he has never received the credit he deserved for that.
    He has accepted that he may have to step back and start again. Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, if he can remember the route to the Valley!
  • Options
    i would have thought that di canio,bellamy and tevez were higher profile players that he seemed to have no problems with and was able to get great things out of. but not sure if this suits people's warped views.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]He was magnificent here but some of his signings at West Ham was dubious and his ability to man-manage 'big name' players must be in doubt if he wasn't able to handle the likes of Danny Murphy, Paul Konchesky etc who are nothing more than 'mid-name' players at best.
    Two players in over 15 years of management. As ThreadKiller said he managed bigger names than Murphy and Konchesky just fine.
  • Options
    Fulham maybe need to take a look at what's happened to us if they think 10th in the Prem isn't good enough.

Having said that, Curbs has been out of management for a long time - he's become the "nearly man" - nearly appointed at several clubs now. He may find he has to re-build his reputation by lowering his target - however, at this stage in his life I doubt that he'll want to go down as far as a League 1 club with no money though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]His achievement of keeping the Hammers up was incredible and he has never received the credit he deserved for that.
    He has accepted that he may have to step back and start again. Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, if he can remember the route to the Valley!

going over old ground here but I'd back myself to keep a side up if I had Macherano and Tevez as well as Reo-Coker and Benayoun plus £50m to spend in the January transfer window

as it was they were dead and buried thanks to results such as 0-6 at Reading and 0-4 at the Valley until Tevez produced the goods in the final 2 months of the season and Sheff Utd somehow managed to lose at home to Wigan on the final day...

clearly Curbs then did a superb job the following season to finish in 6th place but he was lucky not to be overseeing a promotion challenge from the Championship (assuming he was still in a job)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]His achievement of keeping the Hammers up was incredible and he has never received the credit he deserved for that.

They were not in relegation zone when he took them over.
    You could say he actually got them in more trouble than the manager he replaced.
  • Options
    did mascherano actually play much if at all?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]

They were not in relegation zone when he took them over.
    You could say he actually got them in more trouble than the manager he replaced.

west ham were in the relegation zone when sir alan took over at upton park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Murphy was quoted as saying that he was having dome input with the chairman on the new manager from the players perspective so can only think that is the reason why Curbs is being overlooked.

Who the hell can Fulham attract that is a better manager?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Murphy was quoted as saying that he was having dome input with the chairman on the new manager from the players perspective so can only think that is the reason why Curbs is being overlooked.

Who the hell can Fulham attract that is a better manager?

Murphy is having some input? K-ryst - I wouldn't ask him to recommend a curry house!
  • Options
    It is said that Curbs fell out with Zamora at West Ham too so player power will kill his chances of getting the Fulham job.

I reckon that plank Al Fayed will appoint Sven.
  • Options
    Just read the interview - judging by those comments Curbs needs to repair his image too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Just read the interview - judging by those comments Curbs needs to repair his image too.
    What can he do, he's seen as a 'boring' manager that can get a club to mid table safety playing boring football with no chance of Europe or cup success. Clubs will usually go for the 'exciting' manager like Sven.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Saw Curbs at The Oval last week, Eng v Aus. Looked like he'd had as good as day as me!