Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone know anything about State Benefits?

Basic problem = son doing PhD. Mentor/tutor sadly died of cancer, son left stranded and has to re-do his dissertation, submits in August. Meanwhile he is not technically a student anymore, has literally no income at all, paying full council tax, rent etc. (or more accurately, we are.) Is he entitled to any State help at all? I'd be very grateful for any advice, it's an area I know nothing about at all.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, I don't know, but a couple of sources that might be of help:

Direct.gov
    Citizens Advice
  • Options
    He might be able to negotiate with his uni to get an extension of his hand in date? Surely the uni will be understanding over the issue with his proffessor? If they are some unis will extend dates, and thus you can get a full time student form at least avoiding council tax.
  • Options
    I suspect, but don't know, that unless he makes himself available for work or has a disability then he will not have any entitlement
  • Options
    I'm OK on benefits for over 60's - I think it depends on his age - He may be entitled to ESA (the benefit that replace Income Support).

Whereabouts do you live? You're local Council may have a welfare rights team that can advise you on Benefits and help him submit a claim. I say May as it's one of the service areas that easily gets chopped.
  • Options
    Best thing to do Still addicted is go to the citizens advice bureau. They are very good and the phone number is in the phone book.
    I assume that he does not have any NI contributions for the relevent years ( I think it is based on the previous 2 years).

Before you get to enrobbed with the benefit system , try and get him to finish his Phd, his UNi will be able to help,or the student union.

Of course you will have the choice of helping him out, or letting him fend for himself, which lets admit it is no choice, so you will probably get lumbered with helping him out till he gets some sort of income/benefit?

He will probably have to register on the JSA, to qualify for any benefits. I personally would do this as soon as possible unless you are financially able. Be careful not to disqualify himself for not being able available to work, because of studying, and do not let him limit himself to say a political researcher....... economic forecaster...... a job with the UN. Might have to have a short term stratergy, to get himself sorted!

Obviously a clever lad, so I am sure he will be able to get out of this fix, good luck anyway, hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    Just to agree with previous posters.
    Having had dealings with students needing all kinds of help I endorse what others have said.
    In order, your son should
    1. Speak to Student Union/University advice team
    2. Apply immediately for an extension. This will be no problem and will enable him to maintain full time student status.
    3. His local council - letter explaining situation and request for Council Tax re-calculation/refund
    4. You and he can seek help from the usually excellent CAB's in your area and where he lives. Where your son is will have more experience of similar situations if he lives in a student-rich environment! Best to visit and many need appointment booking.
    5. Job centre. They have excellent advisors and in my experience know the web of regulations and do their best to help. Housing benefit, income support etc

Best of luck - only a month till August!
  • Options
    He might be extremely clever, but seems to inhabit a different planet and is extremely un-worldly! He's in Norwich, but don't hold that against him. PhD's are different from standard degrees and funding is precarious to put it mildly. He got an extension of time, but there is no grant, thus no extensions of money. Uni not interested as he is no longer a student. Unfortunately, he is a philosopher and I think that politically philosophers are considered useless to society, thus it's an area marked out for massive cuts and jobs will be non-existent. Thanks to all, I'll get onto Citizens Advice, otherwise it's no away games at all for us this coming season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I'm OK on benefits for over 60's - I think it depends on his age - He may be entitled to ESA (the benefit that replace Income Support).

Whereabouts do you live? You're local Council may have a welfare rights team that can advise you on Benefits and help him submit a claim. I say May as it's one of the service areas that easily gets chopped.

How come you know about benefits for the elderly BDL? I work with the elderly myself, are you employed by a local authority?
  • Options
    There is an ex alumni organisation at all Universities, and part of their remit is to help former students.
    Please get him to contact them asap (as well as CAB, obviously)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I'm OK on benefits for over 60's - I think it depends on his age - He may be entitled to ESA (the benefit that replace Income Support).

How come you know about benefits for the elderly BDL? I work with the elderly myself, are you employed by a local authority?
    Nah, he's just an old git.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im just completing my thesis at the moment.

My advice would mirror much of the above.

1. Get in touch with academic registry and convert to writing up status if he hasnt already, this will make any further fees minimal.
    2. Speak to Student Union/Guild and academic services department for advice, at all Universities there will be an Access to Learning Fund which should be able to give some support. ALF is a non-repayable discretionary fund that is provided by the government in order to assist students that are experiencing financial difficulty. The minimum award from ALF is £100; the maximum is £3,500. All applicants are means-tested and not all applications will be successful.
    3. The alumni funds may also be able to provide help.
    4. If he is writing up/has had an extension he should be able to get 25% off council tax or be council tax exempt if living on his own. The university should provide a letter to enable this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]

Nah, he's just an old git.

That was going to be my second option!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about phillosphers, they tend to be pretty good on logic and are more than capable of transferring their skills to Object Oriented Programming. In that there industry, father stilladdicted is enormous ammounts of money, and bugger those clever people for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Re the no income at all bit:

If he is at Phd level has he tried to get work taking seminars etc for the bachelors lot? I realise he submits in August but if he either gets an extension or stays in the area it might be a way of getting some pin money.

One of my daughters did a Masters of Research and made a bit of money that way.

If he lives on his own he should at the very least be able to reduce his council tax by 25% and, as others have said, maybe all of it if the university write a letter confirming his status.

Is he at UEA?
  • Options
    bit of info from me - JSA = Jobseekers Allowance. If he is not seeking working JSA is not applicable. Citizens Advice will give Benefits advice
  • Options
    One other thought:

Depending on the subject of his research for his Phd could there be private or public institutions interested in sponsoring him?

To take a simplistic example: If he is looking at the philosophy of religion say from an atheistic perspective then someone like the National Secular Society might be interested. Conversely if his stance is pro-religion then contacting representatives of different religions could be useful.