Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where are Brighton getting their money from?

Already made a few signings, got a new stadium to pay for and today they sign Gordon Greer from Swindon for £250,000. Who's bankrolling all this then?

Comments

• They have a printing press in a garage and are now "self financing"
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]They have a printing press in a garage and are now "self financing"

A bit like the US of A.
  • Bit like the Government then!
  • The new stadium is being sponsored by American Express
  • I've seen the new stadium as it's being built a few times. Looks quite good.
  • [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]I've seen the new stadium as it's being built a few times.

It's being built a few times ......?

Builders must keep getting it wrong - just can't get decent builders these days.

;o)
  • Tony Bloom (The Lizard) is there owner, and is very big in the gambling world.

I know of him from the Poker world, and I believe heis also a propety investor.
  • Fat Boy Slim?
  • drove past it the other day it looks like a minature wembley
    shaping up to be a great stadium

but nothing compared to the mighty valley ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Lucky old Brighton, didn't realise they had a new sugar daddy. Why can't we find one?
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Lucky old Brighton, didn't realise they had a new sugar daddy. Why can't we find one?
    Pretty sure he's a Brighton fan, so they never had to find him.
  • They're all loans that need to be repaid by 2023. Maybe he will be willing to convert them into shares (literally give the money away) but if not then they could well find themselves in a similar position as us.

I would also be worried that the stadium is costing £93m. There is no way a team out of the Premier League can ever hope to service that kind of debt, never mind ever paying it back.

It looks rather like a huge gamble that could backfire. I notice that this Bloom has been gambling his whole life, clearly he has won a lot, but sooner or later everyone's luck runs out and building a third division team up to be big enough to repay a £93m loan could well be when it happens.
  • Agree Kings Hill .......£93 mill is a lot of money for any club outside the Prem, let alone a Third Division one!

But it's not only the new stadium Brighton are investing in - they are also paying some substantial transfer fees for this level and economic times; building a biggish squad and attracting some decent quality players, who no doubt are being offered decent quality contracts for League One.

So IMO having attracted a very promising manager in Poyet, there's huge investement all round going into the club.
  • After all the crap that the Brighton fans and the football club have been through I think they are well deserving of a bit of investment and a decent stadium. I say good luck to them (and hope we find investment of a similar size sometime in the not to distant future!)
  • Yeah, it's lovely living down here surrounding by Brighton fans telling me how well they are going to do this season. Money can't always buy you success, but I wouldn't mind us having a go though. They are limited as to who they can attract as they are still only in League 1 and still playing at the Withdean, which is enough to put most people off. Although I think Greer is a decent signing.

I have a horrible feeling that we will not be visiting the American Express Community Stadium when it opens the season after next.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]American Express Community Stadium

I know American Express in the UK are based in Brighton (they're one of my customers!) ........ but what an ugly name for a football ground.

Imagine The Valley being called the KRBS Stadium......as in telling the missus, "Be home late tonight, dear. There's a match at the KRBS."
  • Everyone would call it the Curb's Stadium ;o)
  • I'm fairly sure most Brighton fans will call it Falmer
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]Tony Bloom (The Lizard) is there owner, and is very big in the gambling world.

I know of him from the Poker world, and I believe heis also a propety investor.

Just got back from a Star Lizard 8 day cruise around the med courtesy of Tony Bloom (Suz is his PA). Believe me, the man has a lot of money, top bloke too.

He said to us he'd consider it a big failure if Brighton finish below Charlton this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• The gay maffia are spear heading brightons transformation, if you fail to make a re payment you don't wake up with a horses head next to you but a nice bowl of pot purri.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]Yeah, it's lovely living down here surrounding by Brighton fans telling me how well they are going to do this season. Money can't always buy you success, but I wouldn't mind us having a go though.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism in your team. I think the Brighton fans have good reason to be chipper and good luck to them. If Brighton go up and we join them I will be pleased.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]Yeah, it's lovely living down here surrounding by Brighton fans telling me how well they are going to do this season. Money can't always buy you success, but I wouldn't mind us having a go though.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism in your team. I think the Brighton fans have good reason to be chipper and good luck to them. If Brighton go up and we join them I will be pleased.[/quote]

Totally agree Pilchard, but I don't want it shoved in my face every time I see them. I too, would love us both to be playing in the Championship in 2011/12 and believe there is an outside chance but wouldn't want to put money on it.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]Money can't always buy you success

Yeah, so there Blackburn and Chelsea and Leeds and Man City and Southampton fans
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]Money can't always buy you success[/quote]

Yeah, so there Blackburn and Chelsea and Leeds and Man City and Southampton fans[/quote]

Leeds and Southampton, success? Man City are yet to have any, but would expect them to next season but no guarantee. Jack Hayward pumped millions into Wolves in the 90's with relatively little success. Tottenham have had big backers for years and only seen that come to fruition since Redknapp took over.
  • [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]Yeah, it's lovely living down here surrounding by Brighton fans telling me how well they are going to do this season. Money can't always buy you success, but I wouldn't mind us having a go though.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism in your team. I think the Brighton fans have good reason to be chipper and good luck to them. If Brighton go up and we join them I will be pleased.

Totally agree Pilchard, but I don't want it shoved in my face every time I see them. I too, would love us both to be playing in the Championship in 2011/12 and believe there is an outside chance but wouldn't want to put money on it.

I guess living in the West Sussex area increases the chance of running into excited Brighton fans to be fair.
  • OK fair enough, maybe not the Saints until they get rid of AP, but Leeds got to Euro semi and came close in the Premier.
    Money does have a real impact and it's about time that Brighton had a bit of luck.
    I think they could get quite a good crowd week in week out at the new stadium, any idea how many it will hold when finished?
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]I think they could get quite a good crowd week in week out at the new stadium, any idea how many it will hold when finished?
    Something like 22,500 I think.
  • edited July 2010
    If they could fill it every game, should put a few coins in the piggy bank

I know someone that has paid a £1000 as a bond to secure his seat for life at the new stadium but still has to pay for his ST on top of that
  • It's a shame because they have lost quite a bit of their fanbase over the years, with one thing and another. They have a very large catchment area and should be able to fill the new stadium quite easily. It really depends on their pricing policy as I think the cheapest adult season ticket for the Withdean is £373, which is not good in terms of the matchday experience.
    I would love to see them fill the stadium every week and be successful, those fans deserve it after watching them at the Priestfield and Withdean. Don't me wrong, I love the banter with them but it does get to you after a while. Still, I have supported Charlton long enough to be used to it by now.