Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Hansen

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hansen was once again correct with his say on the way the dutch played the game tonight.Not for the first time have the dutch kicked the other team off the park.Of the two teams Spain played the football and the dutch lost the fact this game was being beamed around the world.1974 total football,1988 sexy football 2010 kick the man forget football.
  • Options
    Due to car problems, I arrived home with 15 minutes of normal time remaining. I asked the family what it was like, having seen it was 0-0 and was told it was boring. Reading the comments here, I am not sure I will bother looking at the recording of it that my son made for me.

I've seen a lot of games this World Cup and I agree with the sentiments expressed above that it's not been great. It seemed that all the teams were too afraid of losing and this was reflected in the number of goals scored. The ball didn't help. A lot of the ref'ing was poor, but we can be proud of Mr Webb.
  • Options
    I find Hansen and Shearer I said Shearer, a real chore to watch. Thank god for Lee Dixon, who'd have thought that? Flipped over to ITV and Townsend was excellently assesing how the Dutch had started out failing to pick up Spanish players in offensive gaps. Watching Hansen with Colin Murray, bitterly avoiding and sniping at any irregular questioning just makes me regret that Nevin or Waddle are not used occasionally in the studio. They may not be brilliant but their natural wider interest in football and life at least provides some other angles, and at times differing dogmatic approach. Watching Hansen just makes me think how dogmatic, smug, bland, and boys club he's been since his '96 ageist spouting.

Yes the Dutch were cynical and Van Bommel should have been sent off by the time he got his first yellow card. But this was a World Cup Finals, the refs have been put on pressure NOT to give out yellow cards early on unless forced to. Bommel should have been sent off in multiple matches before this, but Hansen and Shearer I said Shearer jovially jostle on to repeat themselves.

Howard Webb gave out yellow cards quickly. I'd love to have seen Hansen's initial reaction to De Jong's awful solar plexus kick. Lawerenson made little of it until the repeats. Yes it was a red card but like most of the Charlton fans around me for the Swindon players karate kick, first reaction from distance was that it was clumsy and few were calling for red. De Jong's kick unlike the Swindon player, whom you could see in the replay was solely being violent, was questionable in intent if not result. Yes he should have had a red card, but seeing it in real time without the benefit of the right angle and a close up would result in most people not giving a red card. Iniesta's reaction to Van Bommel was a straight red card, but there was no reaction to this. Hansen's myopic hyperbole is frankly ludicrous.

As other people have pointed out Spain have not been enthralling to watch in this World Cup. As a team they rarely show cut and thrust, unlike the Germans who were profligate with it during the phases of superiority: shame we didn't see Muller inbetween Spain's congested midfield. Yes Villa supplied the killer instinct, but rarely did he have opportunities like Robben in the final. His excellent balance and reactive skills, enabled him to score in congested areas; which were the result of overloaded pressing play. It was clear that Xavi or Inniesta would benefit from an overloaded defense that had to drift, once a Dutch player was sent off.

The loss of Senna, for me makes this team lesser than it was in Euro 2008. Such an atypical Spanish player really transformed their play, in that he agressively broke up play and provided a counter attacking platform for the Spanish that suited Xavi, Inniesta and Torres. People also forget that Aragones was more trusting with Senna to bring on Fabregas early in the second half in Euro 2008. The Euros is traditionally a more offensive almost gamblers tournament, and the introduction of Fabregas at times when play becomes more broken/tired/desperate made Spain a much more exciting proposition: As Fabregas is willing to counter attack, centrally and directly when opposition play breaks down, a sight which is wonderful to see and not present in the rest of the Spanish team. Del Bosque rarely used this tactic early, and it only seemed to work in the final more through necessity of replacing tired players than tactical flare.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    Howard Webb gave out yellow cards quickly. I'd love to have seen Hansen's initial reaction to De Jong's awful solar plexus kick. Lawerenson made little of it until the repeats.
    Agree with a lot of your analysis Col, but I'd be surprised if anyone on planet earth (other than Lawro or Webby) would need replays to spot the intent, but here's one just in case...
    c0737c02eff66a58a7dc71a2518d05cd
  • Options
    good tackle
  • Options
    Wasn't particularly entertained by Spain at all in this World Cup. Could keep the ball well yes, but then so did a few other teams. Going forward they just didn't possess that same cutting edge as I've seen from them before and their results would back that up.

I mainly enjoyed watching Germany and Chile, generally both played quick, exciting football.
  • Options
    What was your initial reaction Mclovin? Because in the first shot shown on TV it's a wide angle and Bommel runs across the line of site. As I remember it, when it happened you couldn't even see his foot going in to him. Sure on the slow-mo replay it's a definite red card, but in real time De Jong's leg folds back in, resulting in me being not completely sure where he contacted.

Fair enough if you knew straight away McLovin, but it seems plenty of experts initial reaction wasn't that of yours. I'm not sure by showing a replay, with the perfect angle in any way proves a point other than it's easy to make decisions with a replay showing a perfect angle. De Jong should have had a red card, and football should site agressive and foul play after the match. Foul play such as that should be punished, and it is utterly ridiculous that football attempts to avoid this if the referee has already made a decision in play.
  • Options
    "So Alan, that's it what will you be doing tonight to celebrate" lineker.

"I'm off to morrisons to buy a litre bottle of bells for just 8 pound, a tub of vasaline and a 12 inch spanish chrizo sausage" Hansen

"Errr.. right... cheers Alan" lineker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I find myself agreeing with Hansen, the best team won on the night. And for that matter Spain have been the best team in the world for some time now as proved by cups won.

Two european cups and one world cup? oh you must also mean the 1992 Olympics too yeah 4 trophies in 50 years they are AMAZING.

;o)

Lol opposed to my above point I do agree. The fact that Spain are both European and World champions at this time says a hell of alot. Just a pity the last 4/5 major tournaments have been so...... Crap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    Howard Webb gave out yellow cards quickly. I'd love to have seen Hansen's initial reaction to De Jong's awful solar plexus kick. Lawerenson made little of it until the repeats.
    Agree with a lot of your analysis Col, but I'd be surprised if anyone on planet earth (other than Lawro or Webby) would need replays to spot the intent, but here's one just in case...
    c0737c02eff66a58a7dc71a2518d05cd

Had the same tackle on me years ago, still got a stud mark in my chin. However the bloke who hit me, didn't get up, because his leg bounced off me and his knee knocked himself out. When he came round the ref only booked him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very bias last night.