Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recycling

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Despite me thinking that all this recycling ends up in a landfill in China I go to the trouble each week of having the three bins , one for food , one for dry recyclables and one for other stuff.

A couple of weeks ago I got home on bin day to find a red tag on the food waste saying it hadn't been emptied as it had the wrong type of waste in (it hadn't)

Then last week I get back to find the same again , this time I had a look inside and apart from the food wate there was a tissue which was probably put in there by someone passing. The Missus rang up Greenwich council and the fella apologised and promised someone would empty it by the end of the day . This wasn't done and today I've come home to find the same all over again. Not a problem now as I've emptied it all over the grass verge outside to be picked up with the black bags later on

From now on I will be putting everything in black bags

Comments

• Compost it, then you can get etraordinarily good veg of your own in future rather than the tasteless crap in supermarkets, not the tissues that 'someone else' put in, obviously as probably full of bleach. Must find the grow your own thread. As for cuttings, plastic, asbestos etc. Burn them all as they don't like them in landfill, just make sure the windows to your babys room are shut and the wind takes it off to france, that's what I do, so pc me.
  • can't do any of that I'm afraid , no garden.

Thing is along the series of roads I live in there must be at least 50% of the bins with these tags on. It aint the binmen doing it , some jumped up little hitler does it in the morning
  • I have had the same row with them I think they take it in turns which bins to leave, both times with me nothing wrong with my waste, although they did return and empty them late in the evening. Maybe done to let you know someone checks inside the bins?
  • Sounds like a good use of your council tax money. Just remember that when they start bleating about govt cuts meaning reductions in critical frontline services. The bin snoopers, or environmental management resource utilisation executives as they are probably known should be the first to go.
  • Sevenoaks district council have changed the recycling 'bins'. Currently we have black bags for landfill waste and clear bags for recycling stuff (except bottles - you have to go to the bottle back with those). They chuck 2 rolls of each type of bag over your fence once in a blue moon and if you run out you have to buy more. The change is   - instead of the clear bags we will be receiving a largish 'bag for life'. You fill it up with washed and dried tins and paper etc and they empty it once a week. 

So it replaces the clear bags that we can put in the kitchen and easily fill and take out one by one with a much larger one that we will have to stick somewhere and lug it out every week. Let's be honest, I dont have the time or inclination to wash and dry my tins. Similarly i wont be rinsing bags that have had other food in, so it wont be long before the bag stinks and has to be kept outside. I'm not going to bother going outside every time I want to put a paper/plastic etc item in the bin so they will end up in the black bag.
    And here's the good bit - they aren't issuing any more clear or black bags now so you have to buy your own and wait for the bag for life to be delivered some time before Xmas. So what are we meant to do with recycling waste in the mean time? Put it to one side and visit the bloody tip every week? Even if i wanted to go to the tip I have to apply for permits (one trip a month) as I have a van.

Just like other people I have spoken to I will be putting all my rubbish in black bags. Awful.
  • edited October 2
    Sevenoaks district council have changed the recycling 'bins'. Currently we have black bags for landfill waste and clear bags for recycling stuff (except bottles - you have to go to the bottle back with those). They chuck 2 rolls of each type of bag over your fence once in a blue moon and if you run out you have to buy more. The change is   - instead of the clear bags we will be receiving a largish 'bag for life'. You fill it up with washed and dried tins and paper etc and they empty it once a week. 

So it replaces the clear bags that we can put in the kitchen and easily fill and take out one by one with a much larger one that we will have to stick somewhere and lug it out every week. Let's be honest, I dont have the time or inclination to wash and dry my tins. Similarly i wont be rinsing bags that have had other food in, so it wont be long before the bag stinks and has to be kept outside. I'm not going to bother going outside every time I want to put a paper/plastic etc item in the bin so they will end up in the black bag.
    And here's the good bit - they aren't issuing any more clear or black bags now so you have to buy your own and wait for the bag for life to be delivered some time before Xmas. So what are we meant to do with recycling waste in the mean time? Put it to one side and visit the bloody tip every week? Even if i wanted to go to the tip I have to apply for permits (one trip a month) as I have a van.

Just like other people I have spoken to I will be putting all my rubbish in black bags. Awful.
    why cant you rinse your tins and mucky bags/plastic out?  they must either have to clean them or discard them at recycling. Its something that we do as a matter of course, its not asking a lot surely?!
  • Hal1x said:
    Sevenoaks district council have changed the recycling 'bins'. Currently we have black bags for landfill waste and clear bags for recycling stuff (except bottles - you have to go to the bottle back with those). They chuck 2 rolls of each type of bag over your fence once in a blue moon and if you run out you have to buy more. The change is   - instead of the clear bags we will be receiving a largish 'bag for life'. You fill it up with washed and dried tins and paper etc and they empty it once a week. 

why cant you rinse your tins and mucky bags/plastic out?  they must either have to clean them or discard them at recycling. Its something that we do as a matter of course, its not asking a lot surely?!
    It's a time thing. I work 12 hours a day at least, 7 days a week, mostly on my feet in all weathers. If I have spare time I want to sit down

• Hal1x said:

why cant you rinse your tins and mucky bags/plastic out?  they must either have to clean them or discard them at recycling. It’s something that we do as a matter of course, its not asking a lot surely?!
    Agree. Recycling in line with the council requirements does become a workable habit quickly however impractical it first seems. 

I guess because it’s a ‘stick’ approach it forces you to change behaviour and soon you don’t even think about it. 
  • edited October 2
    Hal1x said:

It's a time thing. I work 12 hours a day at least, 7 days a week, mostly on my feet in all weathers. If I have spare time I want to sit down

you have time if you wanted to, you just don't consider it a worthwhile exercise. Until you do think it has value, (which most probably do) you will continue to object and justify not doing it.

Saying that we were also supposed to get the large recycling bags (we put out a couple of the old bags a week at the moment), but have now been told this plan has been scrapped here, and to stick with the clear bags - and I am quite pleased. I think they also gave us an option of a wheely bin, but I dread to think what that would be like after a few weeks, when our pristine bin has been swapped with some dirty individual who won't wash out their recycling🤪.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    The time thing isn't really an argument, you've answered it yourself and I justify why I wash all the tins and anything else that goes in the recycling. 

1) its only clean stuff that gets recycled and if recycling is truly a worthwhile endeavour it might as well be given every chance possible of re-enrering the logistics chain 
    2) I also don't want a stinking mass of tins, takeaway trays, milk containers etc 
    3) it takes seconds. You don't have to dry them, nature will do that just rinse under the hot tap most of the time. The greasier takeaway trays get treated to a cycle in the dishwasher 

I'd love to see stats for how much of our recycling actually gets recycled, I know councils have found the garden and food waste bins to be a good revenue source from the compost they create from that waste, its more the plastic and glass recycling. 
    There was a feature the other day on some supermarket collection of soft plastics for recycling ending up being incinerated. 

The best thing we can do as individuals is shop with recycling in mind. By that I mean trying to minimize the problem and avoid plastics wherever possible.

It's at the point of purchase that it becomes time consuming for me in considering: that; where my it's come from to minimize carbon emissions; and as I'm reducing my meat and fish consumption, looking for only organic/wild when I do, or vegetarian alternatives.

That's what's time consuming, and expensive too, not the washing/rinsing.
  • So fire up the boiler, to wash out the tins to enable you to put them in the recycling 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So fire up the boiler, to wash out the tins to enable you to put them in the recycling 
    If you rinse tins under the cold tap straight after emptying the contents, it doesn't stick, so hot water not needed.
  • From first mile the national recycling company

How should you clean your recycling?

Because all the recycling waste gets rinsed at the recycling facility before being processed, there's no need to scrub items until they're sparkling clean.

In fact, when you consider that running a tap for just one minute uses six litres of water it's best to avoid using water for your recyclable materials as much as possible.

All you actually need to do is scrape out any excess food residue with a dirty utensil or used cloth. This way there's no need to use any water. Any leftover food can be emptied into your food-recycling bin.

• MrOneLung said:
    So fire up the boiler, to wash out the tins to enable you to put them in the recycling 
    Or do them last after the dishes in the same water as I do. No harm in that.
  • swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Got a dishwasher 
  • edited October 3
    MrOneLung said:
    From first mile the national recycling company

How should you clean your recycling?

Because all the recycling waste gets rinsed at the recycling facility before being processed, there's no need to scrub items until they're sparkling clean.

In fact, when you consider that running a tap for just one minute uses six litres of water it's best to avoid using water for your recyclable materials as much as possible.

All you actually need to do is scrape out any excess food residue with a dirty utensil or used cloth. This way there's no need to use any water. Any leftover food can be emptied into your food-recycling bin.

it takes a minute to rinse a can? and you don't need the tap going at fill pelt, a gentle tinsey little trickle will suffice to rinse out your Kanga Chunks. And if you clean your teeth with the tap going, stopping that would compensate.
  • MrOneLung said:
    swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Got a dishwasher 
    Yes. It's me
  • MrOneLung said:
    swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Got a dishwasher 
    My in-house recycling and dishwashing expert says it is not recommended to put tins into dishwashers unless the label has been removed.
  • I am just down the road in Tonbridge and Malling and it’s completely different. We have a black bin for non recyclable waste ie bin liners.

We have a green bin for plastic, glass, foil etc.

And we have a brown bin for garden waste.

We have a double bin in the kitchen, one with a bin liner in it for non recyclable waste and the other side is for glass, plastic and foil which we wash before putting it in 

Easy 👍🏻

• Sponsored links:

• Ok I’ll wash my tins but as we’ve got to wait for this wonderful bag for life to arrive ‘before Xmas’ what do I do with them now we have no plastic recycling bags? They’re going to have to go in the black bags. 
  • HexHex
    edited October 3
    I am just down the road in Tonbridge and Malling and it’s completely different. We have a black bin for non recyclable waste ie bin liners.

We have a double bin in the kitchen, one with a bin liner in it for non recyclable waste and the other side is for glass, plastic and foil which we wash before putting it in 

Easy 👍🏻

Much like here in Gravesend although we have a weekly food waste collection as well.
    Also, weeeeeeve got a quadruple bin cupboard in the kitchen; recycling, non-recycling, compostable food and non-compostable (cooked) food.

• Hex said:
    I am just down the road in Tonbridge and Malling and it’s completely different. We have a black bin for non recyclable waste ie bin liners.

Easy 👍🏻

Much like here in Gravesend although we have a weekly food waste collection as well.
    Also, weeeeeeve got a quadruple bin cupboard in the kitchen; recycling, non-recycling, compostable food and non-compostable (cooked) food.

Yeah we have weekly food waste collection but we don’t use it 
  • Ok I’ll wash my tins but as we’ve got to wait for this wonderful bag for life to arrive ‘before Xmas’ what do I do with them now we have no plastic recycling bags? They’re going to have to go in the black bags. 
    I guess your time is taken up backwards and forwards to the bottle bank with the amount of wine you drink 😁😁
  • edited October 3
    Ok I’ll wash my tins but as we’ve got to wait for this wonderful bag for life to arrive ‘before Xmas’ what do I do with them now we have no plastic recycling bags? They’re going to have to go in the black bags. 
    I guess your time is taken up backwards and forwards to the bottle bank with the amount of wine you drink 😁😁
    We’ve got a bloody ton of bottles in old animal feed sacks. Every now and then I fill the van and take them to the bottle bank. Last time a lady asked me if I was doing it for the pub. I said ‘no just the two of us’!
    EDIT the bottles are mainly Mr Tatter’s beer bottles,
  • I don't understand why some councils are still using plastic sacks for rubbish and recycling, the bags are often ripped open by animals, spreading litter everywhere.

I'm glad that Maidstone Borough Council use wheelie bins. We have one for non-recyclable rubbish, one for mixed recycling and a smaller food bin. We have a food caddy in the kitchen, the contents of which we transfer to the bigger food bin. I keep a box in a cupboard for soft plastic that can only be recycled at supermarkets