Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Inception

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
My dad was always into films. I remember the first film I ever both saw and understood was Wages Of Fear - his favourite - which seemed to rock him from a very young age. A lorry driver, tasked with driving a truckload of explosives over a terrain that was dense with intense life-threatening difficulties. A film that jerked a response through visualisation rather than emotive response. But excellent none-the-less.

Today Christopher Nolan released Inception. The man responsible for perhaps more than one truly, once-in-a-generation sensation such as Memento; a film that completely rearranged the strict structures of storytelling that have been in place since Plato first cared to define them.

I don't want to over-sell the abilities of the man, but he has constantly pushed the boundaries of the blockbuster to prove that they can be both artistic. enjoyable and moving in a truly progressive sense. And enjoyable on all levels. Heath Ledger was an incredibly talented actor, but sometimes people forget that Nolan not only wrote those Joker lines, but both casted and directed the acting alongside shaping a film that surpassed not only the expectations of a film in the superhero genre, but perhaps even modern visual cinematic entertainment.

Nolan pushes the boundaries. He is the modern day Hitchcock, rediscovering the possibilities of the film media rather than prescribing to it.

Go and see it.

Comments

• Options
    Great recommendation. Had not been moved by the trailers and had somehow missed that it was a Nolan film, but will now carve out the time to see it. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Saw it last night. It took a little while to get into but It was truly an eceptional film. The ending left me thinking was it or wasn't it?
  • Options
    I love Nolan just for what he's done to Batman alone!.....thinking about going tonight to see this. I really rate Di Caprio in a lead role too. Gangs of New York & Shutter Island he was immense.
  • Options
    Memento is an amzing film, stumbled across it when the girl I was seeing at the time wanted to see it in the cinema as it had "Mike from neighbours in it" I thought it was astounding.

Cant wait to see Inception -
  • Options
    Chunes said 'a film that completely rearranged the strict structures of storytelling that have been in place since Plato first cared to define them'

Filmaker's have been doing this ever since moving images have been captured including salvodor dali's work in the 1920's its nothing new is it ? Inception may be a great film but it is in no sense of the word groundbreaking.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Chunes said 'a film that completely rearranged the strict structures of storytelling that have been in place since Plato first cared to define them'

Filmaker's have been doing this ever since moving images have been captured including salvodor dali's work in the 1920's its nothing new is it ? Inception may be a great film but it is in no sense of the word groundbreaking.[/quote]

I think Chunes was talking about Memento............a brilliant film that I never tire watching.
  • Options
    Yeh he was Golfie, sorry my wording wasnt great, and Memento is a great film just disagree with it being groundbreaking in terms of fragmenting a narrative.
  • Options
    Maybe you're right but Dali, Brakhage, Frampton etc... They all fragmented or destroyed narrative within the realm of the Avant Garde. I'd argue it's much harder to do so and still manage to make a film that appeals to a wide, commercial audience and keeps its artistic integrity.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the heads up on this Chunes. I don't go to the pictures that often these days but it just so happened I quite fancied a trip to the flicks but didn't really know what to go see. This one had slipped under my radar so when I read your post I had a quick look at the trailer and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Have to say I thought it was a really excellent piece of work. Possibly the best film I've seen for 4 or 5 years (although I don't watch huge numbers), maybe even longer since I've seen such a smart, well thought out action thriller - it's got some terrific effects (the zero gravity stuff in the hotel was particularly good) but at no point does it rely on the effects to make it entertaining. It really gripped me in a way films don't tend to - I tried to take a deep breath as the camera panned over for that final shot, and I realised I'd got all tight chested!
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty good. Best I've seen this year, alongside Alice In Wonderland (which was panned by people who don't 'get' Tim Burton). As for it being 'groundbreaking' and 'reinventing the medium' - it wasn't. No more than 'The Matrix' or 'Avatar' were. Memento was more deserving of this sort of accolade. Still a great film though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't trying to call Inception groundbreaking or 'reinventing the medium', I was mainly referring to Memento in that respect. But I guess also his other films in terms of showing that a blockbuster doesn't have to be vacuous tripe.
  • Options
    Just seen it, very good, the details regarding the rules of the dreams etc are outstanding, as is the realisation of these dreams, however b the ending was pretty confusing and looking online trying to see what's what, is confusing me even more.
  • Options
    If you want to take the missus out and have a laugh then Heartbreaker could be worth a go. It's subtitled, quite witty and as it's in a foreign language you can pretty much ignore the fact that it is actually a rom-com and pretend to be moderately sophisticated what with being another language innit. I recommend for a light-hearted night out.
  • Options
    loved the movie Inception. It is literally non-stop action with information overload as well. I might even see it twice to answer the questions still lingering after watching the movie, but i will definitely rent it. Recommended for the moviegoers that enjoy more then just a laugh...
  • Options
    Saw the film last night and really really enjoyed it.

Loved the Tom Hardy (from The Take most recently) character. Was not as difficult to understand or to get like Memento but very thought provoking.

Go see it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Saw the film last night and really really enjoyed it.

Loved the Tom Hardy (from The Take most recently) character. Was not as difficult to understand or to get like Memento but very thought provoking.

Go see it.

What did you make of the ending? Was it all a dream or wasn't it?
  • Options
    The end was reality. the totem was wobbling. i think the abrupt ending was just another way for the director to prove he had completed a true "mind-fuc*ing" of the audience.
  • Options
    DONT RUIT IT!!!!!
  • Options
    WSS-Totally agree about Tom Hardy.
    Reckon he'd be a good bet to be the next Bond.
    A move back towards the Roger Moore style 007, after Daniel Craig's violent (but good) portrayal.
  • Options
    I want to be Eames.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awesome movie. Nolan is becoming a movie legend. The film works on so many levels.

Hardy also played Bronson, amazingly. What an actor. I didn't recognise him.
  • Options
    What an amazing and confusing film after the film loads of us gathered outside the theater to discuss it and the main theory was that he was stuck in the matrix having taken the wrong pill.....
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Saw the film last night and really really enjoyed it.

Go see it.

What did you make of the ending? Was it all a dream or wasn't it?
    phucks sake No SPOILERS Please!
  • Options
    Thought it was great, very original and inventive have not seen Memento but must get it
    But the end.........?????
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just saw it again. Good film. Anyone with a brain can work out what's going on throughout it, so not too 'difficult', but has enough about it to keep you interested all the way through. Thought the special effects were awesome, the corridor sequence in particular was brilliantly done and the acting pretty good all-round (DiCraprio is fast becoming a very, very watchable actor, Marion Cotillard was lovely and Ken Watanabe is always brilliant in everything he does.

As good as any film I've seen for years.
  • Options
    Sorry - it's tricksy tosh. It works as a film if you prefer roller-coaster rides to character and plot, I suppose. I defy you to explain the inner logic of the plot. But perhaps you need a greater tolerance to meaningless shoot-outs between phantasms of someone's brain than I've got. The pity is that lurking somewhere in the film is a basically interesting idea about dream and reality but it is never properly explained or explored because people are only there to see another special effect or car chase or shoot-out. Inception is a Deception. And I loved Momento.
  • Options
    Eames was a badass. The serbian winter scence on skis, he was going nuts! in that one part he managed to shoot down all the men being towed by the HUM-V, then tosses a live grenade into the driver of the Hum V and he still has time to wink and smile away. Eames is a legend!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]It works as a film if you prefer roller-coaster rides to character and plot, I suppose.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly what I don't like, but I loved Inception.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]Eames was a badass. The serbian winter scence on skis, he was going nuts! in that one part he managed to shoot down all the men being towed by the HUM-V, then tosses a live grenade into the driver of the Hum V and he still has time to wink and smile away. Eames is a legend!
    agreed he surely was captain price from call of duty?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]The pity is that lurking somewhere in the film is a basically interesting idea about dream and reality but it is never properly explained or explored because people are only there to see another special effect or car chase or shoot-out. Inception is a Deception. .[/quote]

Totally agree with that comment.

I thought it was brilliant but when they started doing dreams within dreams (and then within dreams?) I kinda lost my way a little bit but got it. Although I dont think I enjoyed the last 1/2 hour than i did the first 2hrs.