Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Importnat Questions Iphone 4's

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hello All, I am aware of the current faults with the new Iphone.

Now a question for you all that are in the know. I am very interested in this new iphone and its applications that you can load, music downloands etc. However a friend of mind (who is on holiday at the mo) has texted me to say dont rush into to itl. Iphone is very hyped up and expenseive. You can get other phones that do exavtly the same thing at a lower cost with the same or cheaper tariffs?

Is this correct? Only I have looked at itunes on apple website and this indicates a choice of well over 100,000 apps you can dowload.. is this correct ?

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Click on the 'search' text above, type 'iphone' in the search input box, click the 'search' button and you will be able to read a million different CL opinions about Apple, it's iPhone products and how they compare with other smart phones on the market.
  • most apps are just waste of money anyway. depends what you want. If you want to blow bubbles on your screen and pop them then get one. But the more usefull apps like stat navs, price scanner checker, speed camera tracker, dab radio, facepoop, shazam etc...etc... Can all be done on my nokia without spending 450 nuggets and 15 a week insurance. But if you can afford the extra buns then get an ifone.
  • thanks guys i will od as suggested
  • If it's anything like my iphone 3 it's a good toy but a rubbish phone. Terrible mic and speaker, poor signal reception and takes ages to find a signal when you, for example, emerge from a tunnel. Nokias are generally far better.
  • Had an IPhone 3 for 2 years contract has just run out so I got a HTC Desire it is better than the IPhone internet is so fast
  • Apple are evil.
  • hello fatrob..... I have been looking at apples in store website and there seems to be thousands and thousnads of apps available.. radio stations.. concert valuts music (even police radio) and some that interest me (not the police radio but sky mobile??) Can you download these same apps for the HTC Desire or are they only exclusive to Iphones??

The impression I am getting with the Iphone from people is excellent for Apps and functions except if you want to make a call you can forget it A god friend of mine who is on holiday at the mo hinted about the HTC desire and said "watch that price go down).
  • Go for an Android phone. I was going to buy an iPhone 4 but did a comparison in terms of features etc and ended up buying an HTC Desire instead - it's just awesome, seriously. Can't think of anything the iPhone does that the HTC doesn't and it costs a lot less. There are 30,000 apps for Android already and it's growing. Not all apps available for the iPhone are yet available for Android but the mainstream ones will be soon enough. iPhone's are very decent phones but essentially proprietary, and you're spending a lot of money to be limited by Apple's CEO as to how you're to use it.
  • The Iphone is just too damn sexy. Get the Iphone.
  • BrentfordAddick, they are much improved on the iPhone 4. The speaker is about 30% louder (I think) and there is a secondary mic which cancels out background noise, (so that for example I rang sum1 from a crowded train but all they could hear was me not every1 else on the train.)

Antenna issues are IMO overblown but the last Nokia I owned was a 3310 so might be better, can't say that that is anything I have noticed though.

As for 15 notes a week insurance, personally I don't bother. If it gets nicked, house insurance covers it, if it breaks down, I have never had an issue with Apple on warranties etc (they even fixed my MacBook out of warranty).
  • Sponsored links:

• Does it have a spellcheck ?
  • Always better to wait for the 2nd Generation of anything new so they have a chance to iron out all the Bugs.
  • People can pick holes in the IPhone all day long but there is no phone on the market that even comes close to it. Having said that I wouldn't get an iPhone 4 just yet until they have ironed out the connection problem. Get a 3GS 16gig I've had mine 9 months and I still love it.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Does it have a spellcheck ?

Yus
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]People can pick holes in the IPhone all day long but there is no phone on the market that even comes close to it. Having said that I wouldn't get an iPhone 4 just yet until they have ironed out the connection problem. Get a 3GS 16gig I've had mine 9 months and I still love it.

I loved my 3gs right up until last week

that fateful day.

the day I walked out at lunch and saw a sign in the O2 store that said "We've got some"

I am now the proud owner of an iphone 4 and it is indeed a thing of beauty
  • lol paula your response to me losing my phone on facebook was whether you want a ipod phone you make me laugh boyo!
  • sorry mate was just browisng and was distracted by the apps.. I was writing the ones I would be interested and have a list of 32 so far. (and one them includes Sky sports 1, 2 3 and 4 and ESPN which is free if you are sky subscriber alreader until the end of the year and then its £5 per month next year
  • I got problems with the bluetooth connection on mine.
    Bit awkward when you drive for a living
  • I got an iPhone 4 on release date. I have not had one problem and the phone is amazing. The battery life is so much better than the 3GS and I have not had one connection problem.

Granted if you hold the phone with both hands clamped round the bottom left hand corner if drops in signal, but why would you hold it like that? If you put a rubber case on then it wont even happen.

Its so much better than the 3gs. The screen is so clear. There are four other guys in my office with them and they too have not had any problems.

There were far more 3GS's returned than the 4.
  • [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite] Granted if you hold the phone with both hands clamped round the bottom left hand corner if drops in signal, but why would you hold it like that? If you put a rubber case on then it wont even happen.

Very true, no one really holds their phone like that anyway. However i think the main connection/signalling issues are a USA thing with their provider AT&T. I don't think there's any major problem over here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you know if you need a certain type of bluetooth headset (for Driving ) coz I've tried three different ones and the person on the other end can hardly hear me?
    If I use the plug in earspeaker thingys it's ok but then I've got wires all over the place, anyone help on this one?
  • hello robyroy what network are you on mate?
  • Wow, can't say about iPhone 4 but I just got this new Samsung Android and it blows my old iphone 3GS out the water, £329 PAYG.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s-319-10-top-up-inst/722353
  • Hi Rudders, I am on O2 as is another guy in my office no problems at all. The other two guys in my office are on Orange and Vodaphone again no problems.
  • My son got the iphone 4 for a 'nominal amount' on Thursday, due to the upgrade and by a miracle Eltham had them in stock, even got a partner reduced rate, and a nice bit of kit it looked, quicker, better battery life,and so on, and the re-assuring thing that the screen was 30 times stronger than the 3g! so bingo........ a result..... but then after returning from clubbing early on a Sunday morning, getting out of the girl friends car, whoops!..... the phone slips out of his side pocket , drops on the floor and 'cracks' from 2feet ish.... So a call to Apple Bluewater, eh can you help, yes we can sir we can help you to the sum of £134..... for a cracked screen, BUT I thought they could sustain a drop of three foot ( i.e desk) well we do not guarantee that sir, and not on concrete!.... Oh ! so you talk about it being 30 times stronger and mention this is your marketing demo but it is not 'guaranteed'. yes sir you have got it......

So a trip to Bluwater, speak nicely to 'Ricardo' the manager, flash, my business apple card, flash my apple silver gift card, and a partner discount later and £90 quid lighter I flash my wallet. Easy as, simple as....... In the real world of Apple no one 'acually drops a phone'........ except for marketing purposes!

In fairness they replaced the phone and were very pleasant ( as people are when helping themselves to your cash) And yes he could have walked around like a wally with a new phone and a smashed screen, and a face like a slapped arse! What is more I have to update my mac software on the apple computer to download the updates for the i phone 4....... As I have said before Apple are very well designed, sexy looking products, but not without there faults, and as we say need to come with a warning, No Oafs!, Do not use in the Rain, Do not drop down the toilet!, Do not drop, trip or, fall on them....... essentially they are a thing of wonderous beauty, and best left at home when 'going out' as like young children they cannot cope with life!. or life outside the marketing department of Apple!........I think my other son may well be buying an Android.......
  • I dropped my 3GS from upstairs onto to hard flooring in the hallway and it was fine - no mark at all.

Just to update I've encountered the gri of death a few times now and calls have dropped off. Tbf it's an appalling piece of design if my hand can render my phone inoperable but I know how to avoid it now

Will just have to see how it goes
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]My son got the iphone 4 for a 'nominal amount' on Thursday, due to the upgrade and by a miracle Eltham had them in stock, even got a partner reduced rate, and a nice bit of kit it looked, quicker, better battery life,and so on, and the re-assuring thing that the screen was 30 times stronger than the 3g! so bingo........ a result..... but then after returning from clubbing early on a Sunday morning, getting out of the girl friends car, whoops!..... the phone slips out of his side pocket , drops on the floor and 'cracks' from 2feet ish.... So a call to Apple Bluewater, eh can you help, yes we can sir we can help you to the sum of £134..... for a cracked screen, BUT I thought they could sustain a drop of three foot ( i.e desk) well we do not guarantee that sir, and not on concrete!.... Oh ! so you talk about it being 30 times stronger and mention this is your marketing demo but it is not 'guaranteed'. yes sir you have got it......

So a trip to Bluwater, speak nicely to 'Ricardo' the manager, flash, my business apple card, flash my apple silver gift card, and a partner discount later and £90 quid lighter I flash my wallet. Easy as, simple as....... In the real world of Apple no one 'acually drops a phone'........ except for marketing purposes!

In fairness they replaced the phone and were very pleasant ( as people are when helping themselves to your cash) And yes he could have walked around like a wally with a new phone and a smashed screen, and a face like a slapped arse! What is more I have to update my mac software on the apple computer to download the updates for the i phone 4....... As I have said before Apple are very well designed, sexy looking products, but not without there faults, and as we say need to come with a warning, No Oafs!, Do not use in the Rain, Do not drop down the toilet!, Do not drop, trip or, fall on them....... essentially they are a thing of wonderous beauty, and best left at home when 'going out' as like young children they cannot cope with life!. or life outside the marketing department of Apple!........I think my other son may well be buying an Android.......

I bashed my car into a concrete bollard.
    Took it back to the garage that sold it to me, and they wanted ME to pay for the damage I had caused.
    Who would of thought it eh !!!
  • Hello Ken and Robroy,

Ken you said you got yours for a nominal fee in Eltham? Which company is that? I live in Eltham myself and I am on the 3 network but on their £15 a month for my LG phone. That was for 90 mins talk time and 600 texts... I have been advised by a girl at work today to dump 3 and go with O2, you can get ANY phone including the IPhone as long as you have a contract with them. I have emailed 3 last night and Tescos mobile so see fi there is anything they can offer, partiuclarily 3 as an "existing and loyal" customer. One can only try
  • Hello Ken and Robroy,

Ken you said you got yours for a nominal fee in Eltham? Which company is that? I live in Eltham myself and I am on the 3 network but on their £15 a month for my LG phone. That was for 90 mins talk time and 600 texts... I have been advised by a girl at work today to dump 3 and go with O2, you can get ANY phone including the IPhone as long as you have a contract with them. I have emailed 3 last night and Tescos mobile so see fi there is anything they can offer, partiuclarily 3 as an "existing and loyal" customer. One can only try.

Sorry for the delay Rudders been updating my system software, to Mac leopard, which is what you will need to sink the i tunes and get updates!/buy apps etc.
    £30 and my son is selling his 3g for £130 so result there.

Funny Mr One lung...... I thought I had called my son an oaf for dropping it! . BUT the little marketing point is that this is a selling feature of the new phone it is suppossed to be 30 times stronger than the previous glass, and be able to sustain a drop from 3 feet as on the apple demo that I saw!. ( check out the web a whole series of pages on i phone replacement glass) The iphone 4 is a truimph of style over content..... or in this case doing what it should be able to primarily do make a phone call, just in case we forget, I am about to read about the issues in mac world on the cover it says 'iphone 4 apples latest iphone and the facts about the flaws'. It is on the cover it calls itself the worlds best selling apple magazine they should know what they are talking about!
  • I bashed my car into a concrete bollard.
    Took it back to the garage that sold it to me, and they wanted ME to pay for the damage I had caused.
    Who would of thought it eh !!!

It's an inevitability that handheld devices will be dropped from time to time. They don't need to be able to survive being run over by a truck, but if they can't stand a 2 foot fall out of a pocket then that's just poor design.

Rudders I recommend a HTC Desire. I got this contract, which after cashback only works out at 17 quid a month:

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/orange-htc-desire.html