Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Support and attitude to young and home grown players

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
My position is to not slag these guys off, either at matches, or elsewhere. Yeah I know you pays yer money and everything, but they're young, inconsistent often, but they are OURS. Michael Turner developed late, and there are others too, what on earth point is there in highlighting flaws in our young players while they still have time to improve?
As long as they try what more can we ask? if results are poor, and their performances are poor too, then it is up to the management to not pick them, or protect them....if we are down to the bare bones sometimes then we should support them even more...certainly not destroy their fragile confidence. I know Solly is a little bloke, that Mambo is raw, that Robbie is playing in a really significant position and Tuna seems lightweight and so on.....but, Solly is tenacious, Mambo powerful, Robbie has that ace throw, and Tuna is slippery....I want to see the young players as a glass half full as it were.
We are a picky lot, but FFS please lets get behing our young guys....save the vituperation for others.

Comments

• Options
    Agree with all this except the last line.

Why are we so compelled to slag off anyone?
  • Options
    Despite the spats on here regarding the merits or otherwise of individual players in the main you are probably speaking to the converted on this forum.

I wish I knew how we could shut up some of the tw*** who abuse our youngsters.

hopefully they will be the ones not to renew but somehow I doubt it...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Agree with all this except the last line.

Agree.
  • Options
    I actually think that the club has a good crop of young players coming through, as the older players begin to move on. The likes of Tuna, Mambo, Jenkinson, Solly, Stavrinou, Davisson, Popo, Gough, Cousins, Warren, etc to name but a few. They are raw at the monent but they will develop into decent players in the very near future. The bottom line is, that they all need support and not to be slated whenever they make a mistake - and I am quite sure that will not happen!
  • Options
    Agree with this, 100 percent....
    Although I did criticise Tamer at the Welling game in that I thought he had his worst game in a Charlton shirt, I am glad to say he has banged two goals in two successive games.
    Because I have known the lad, since he was a 5 year old I expect him to score, or at least be in a position to score, that night well it was a pre season and he was off the pace of the game, and playing center forward!.

I make no secret of the fact that i think the lad is a talented footballer, I am sure I will get slagged off on here for supporting the lad, as I did on the OS for being to 'lightweight'.
    I also think we have some talented youngsters, and all things being equal hope that they are given a chance, and not just 10 minutes..... We shall see.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Agree with all this except the last line.

Well, maybe we should channel the 'slag off' imperative towards deserving opponents.
  • Options
    Agree we should get behind them and not write them off after a bad game or two.

Don't see a problem with a proper discussion on here about both their strengths and weaknesses though. That can be interesting.

Although maybe you're talking about at the games. There was even abuse aimed at Shelvey last year, ridiculous really, especially as most of the time they were things missing a decent chance, which our senior players did just as often.