Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alex Higgins RIP

The best snooker player bar none imo. Rest In Peace.

Comments

• Blimey, sad, very sad. A great player, one of the legends of the game RIP
  • Cant agree with him being the best snooker player but in his prime he was a character which the game badly misses now. R.I.P Alex
  • real sad news,brought personality into a boring sport,rip legend.
  • Amazing that he reached 61 with his lifestyle and he's had cancer for about ten years. Definitely not the best of all time but certainly the player with the most stories about him, not all of which portray him in a good light. I actually played and beat him in an exhibition, only one frame mind and he was worse the wear for large vodka and oranges, but he had to borrow my cue for one shot because the tip had come off his and afterwards he told me my cue was garbage.
  • R.I.P
    Really enjoyed watching snooker back then some proper characters and the Hurricane the biggest of them all
    RIP legend.
  • RIP Alex.

Weird this for me. My Mum loved him. I remember watching snooker with my Mum she loved it.

I never really got it.

Alex, I hope you & my Mum are having a natter now.

Both of you had more in common than any of our families would have liked.

I hate snooker.
  • RIP.....
  • To become a household name for playing snooker is testament enough. RIP
  • of his generation the most entertaining player by a mile R.I.P Alex
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2010
    RIP
    I remember seeing him once in the bar at Birmingham New Street Station on my way back from a Charlton game.
  • r.i.p. alex
  • Steve Davis says that Alex "was the only true genius of snooker".

You were the greatest Alex, simply the best!!!

R.I.P
  • edited July 2010
    Higgins made snooker interesting

RIP Legend
  • Absolute legend RIP fella. Always ranks with me how Jimmy White never won the world title !!
  • Snooker's original entertainer, there'll never be another like him.

R.I.P. Hurricane
  • Met and chatted to him once in the last 10 years on a plane back from Manchester, nice bloke overall, a bit crotchedy to start with but warmed to him quickly. Surprised he has lasted this long as the cancer really had a grip of him even back then....RIP
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Steve Davis says that Alex "was the only true genius of snooker".

R.I.P

It's nice to see Steve say good things about Higgins because Higgins treated Davis with utter contempt during the eighties.
    S
  • Almost singlehandedly rejuvenated snooker when it was in danger of completely stagnating in the late sixties and early seventies even if people were watching for the possibility of a tantrum. Reardon, Davis and Hendry were more consistent and thus better players overall if ability is measured in terms of titles won. However a motivated, focused Alex Higgins in his prime (which was all too rare) could beat anybody and I suspect the 3 names I've mentioned would acknowledge that.

A flawed personality but undeniably had charisma.

RIP
  • RIP Alex - was a big fan back in the day, by far the most entertaining, charismatic and roguish player snooker has ever produced.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Steve Davis says that Alex "was the only true genius of snooker".

R.I.P

It's nice to see Steve say good things about Higgins because Higgins treated Davis with utter contempt during the eighties.
    S

Not as badly as he treated Dennis Taylor - "If you ever turn up again in Ireland I'll have you shot."
  • Reading his Obit in the paper.......

80 Marlboro a day!!

Yikes
  • Legend! RIP.
  • RIP

Not the best imo, but a legend and a great character
  • RIP Alex

Great player, great personality.

In his heyday there were a few "characters" in the game - who could forget Bill Werbeniuk, for example? But Alex was the man. A flawed genius, there's no doubt about that.
  • Character? Personality? Being a drunk and abusing people is not a sign of character or personality, or not the sort that I respect.

Having said that he was mildly entertaining and I give condolences to his near and dear ones.