Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke city!.......

Have signed Kenwyn Jones for £8 million!
The fact that Stoke have £8 million to spend is crazy.
The fact that they've spent it on Jones is even more crazy.

Football on it's arris

Comments

• Options
    In the context of the football world (or at least the premiership) that is probably about the going rate and a pretty good signing for a side that plays the way Stoke do.

In the context of the real world it's barmy, but top flight English football lost touch with general reality years ago and the lower leagues are only just starting to live in the real world again.
  • Options
    I couldn't believe it when some pundits a couple of years ago were talking Jones up as 'the next Drogba'. It's a staggering amount of money for an average Premiership player. I guess Wolves had to pay Burnley ~ £7m for Steven Fletcher, though I think he may become a better player than Jones.
  • Options
    8m is peanuts when they get 30-40m in tv money alone.

I'd have thought Jones was the ideal signing for them. A massive lump of a target man to get on the end of all their long balls and Delap's long throws. He's one of the best headers of a ball in the league.
  • Options
    good signing for them I think, given their style of play. If he stays fit he will score them goals.
  • Options
    Stoke are one of the best run clubs in the country.

Other half/her old man are season ticket holders and they thought it was a bargain!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    WHEN Jones is on his game he is a real handful. Believe he fell out with Bruce last season which is a shame because the Jones/Bent partnership at the start was proving to be one of the best in the Premiership.

Presumably sold to fund move of Bellamy who isn't in City's European squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite] charltonStoke are one of the best run clubs in the country.

Other half/her old man are season ticket holders and they thought it was a bargain!
  • Options
    That signing certainly raised an eyebrow, not the cost of Jones who might be worth it, but the fact that Stoke have paid that much! Hopefully they're not budgeting for premiership football, if Jones fails and they get relegated they'll find it hard to get that £8m back.
  • Options
    Was gutted last night when i found out we would have had Stoke if we had just been able to hold on to a 3 goal lead.

Would have taken good numbers up there on a Tuesday eh OohAhh.....
  • Options
    lol JT ..... oi concentrate on the countdown bird stop wasting your time with this football chaff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest, I was surprised that Sunderland were willing to sell him at all. They have few enough Premier League standard players, selling an adequate srtiker makes little sense to me.
  • Options
    Stoke have done really well since they got in the Prem, they're becoming an established club now, if Pulis left though things will start going wrong.
  • Options
    If we were still there I think we would be making simular signings and between 6 and 8m for a player is not that bad. Just remember the other summer liverpool wanted him for 15m!!! Good player for stoke big tall strong forward. Funny now how new clubs go up and say they want to a stoke or wigan, where everyone always said they wanted to do a charlton....
  • Options
    thought that £8m for Jones was a good bit of business when I saw it

didn't set the world alight last season (Benty overshadowed him) but had previously been linked with Spurs in a swop for Super Darren

saw him at Newcastle airport when up there for a stag and he was a monster of a bloke - built like a rugby back-rower

he'd just done his ligaments for T&T and was on crutches - probably has taken him a while to get over that but could be a very good signing for Stoke
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    £8 million for Jones..

The Football world is officially mad.
  • Options
    TBF their other target was Carlton Cole but the price they were quoted for that useless lump of proverbial was just plain silly money so not surprised they've shelled out this. I think Jones will do very well there as others have said. Think he might prefer being the main man rather than as a support striker to Bent.
  • Options
    Put me on record as saying he will be an absolute flop!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]TBF their other target was Carlton Cole but the price they were quoted for that useless lump of proverbial was just plain silly money so not surprised they've shelled out this. I think Jones will do very well there as others have said. Think he might prefer being the main man rather than as a support striker to Bent.

Hence the Bellamy move?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]£8 million for Jones..

The Football world is officially mad.

Football went mad when City paid over 20m for Joleon Lescott.

8m for Jones really isn't that bad a deal though, i think he'll do well.
  • Options
    When Benty arrived Jones the footballer took the back seat...

No one can believe the amount Stoke paid for him...

A very good bit of business has been done here...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We would have played them if we had beaten Shrewsbury, who said Tuesdays result was a bad one?
  • Options
    Just the dangerous generational shift you come across after a few seasons in the prem. Stoke got through their first season with Sidibe an important striker up front, with Beattie adding some goals in the second half.

Going from a striker who has been very effective if low goalscoring, you then go onto spending many millions to barely move in the table. Premiership entropy? I can't figure what this will mean with the massive boon in extra parachute payments, but well run club or not the massive problems of having average under-performing players on even more massive wages remain. I suspect Kenwyne Jones will always be an asset, as pundit and manager alike seem to believe his contribution is Defoe like; hugely bigger than the reality. Hopefully Stoke have well planned for all eventualities: Any sane director would surely not have contracts longer than 3 seasons for their 'mature' stars, whilst those players placings in the squad being speculative the contract written to the advantage for the club; reductions in wages if relegated.

I like Kenwyne Jones as a player, but always thought it was madness he was 5 mill from Soton. If he stayed clear of injuries then his effect may be worth multi-millions. I suspect Bruce did well here.
  • Options
    A couple of things came to light.:

Apparently last season Jones had an almighty bust up with Steve Bruce - and the personality clashes since then have meant that Jones' Sunderland days were numbered. His manager wanted him to go - and so did he.

Secondly, Jones had a very successful loan spell at Stoke as a young player a few years ago.
    Tony Pulis remembered that - hence buying a player he rates very highly.
  • Options
    £8 from Real Madrid for 32 year old Carvallhio!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]£8 from Real Madrid for 32 year old Carvallhio!!!

I'd take Carvalho over Jones any day of the week.