Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Humble Pie Thread

Well done Scott Wagstaff put some egg on my face tonight, as well as those of a few other doubters. Took his goal well, but we kind of knew he could do that once in a while - it was the wing play and measured cross to set up the third that impressed me, that's what I want to see more of from him. Great stuff.

Comments

• Options
    It takes a man to come on here an own up to the fact he usually talks a complete load of shite...

Respect...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I agree re waggy , that was a good second half and long may it continue .....
    I thought he was pony but hopefully he can push on from that second half performance ....
    Looks like he's put some muscle on and his fitness looks great
    Well gone the wagstaff !
  • Options
    Until last season I couldn't work out what he was all about. Just looked quick but that was it. Then he started scoring goals and showed just how fit he was. Even more impressive that he did that after Pardew ruined his confidence and played him too early.

Friday was still similar to when he was playing well off the bench, tired defenders and space to attack, but it's great to see him set up and score a goal while playing the full 90 minutes. I'm sure he'll get keep getting better as he has done.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agree with the above, was excellent Friday and seemed to cope well with the fact he was targetted by their defenders. Stood up well to the physical side and his goal was excellently taken on his "weaker" foot.

Dare I ask whether his goal raised the question of whether he would be worth a run out through the middle. For me, in the JPT or for the last 15-25 mins of a game, Waggy through the middle could be a real threat, not saying he is not an asset on the right, but up top imho he would certainly give most defenders the run about.
  • Options
    dan , we were talking about the same thing driving home.

Waggy has pace and can finish. He has also noticably beefed up. He's not afraid of being tackled either.

Don't know how he would cope with holding up the play or in the air but could be worth a try.
  • Options
    Especially against tired defenders in the last quarter. Reading in the Doherty thread about how his lack of pace should not be a problem, for me if Waggy was an opponent then he has the ability to expose someone like Doherty (and other L1 defenders who are not the quickest and there are plenty of them).

Would obviously not play him up top on his own but alongside Abbott who can hold the ball up and link the play well, Wagstaff would cause most defences problems.
  • Options
    Good job Waggy took his shot at the moment he did.

If he'd held on to the ball for a split second more, that Orient defender's wreckless late challenge would have gone right through him.

I can see what you mean about playing Waggy in the hole. We had a discussion on CL last season about just that.
    But Martin is playing that role very effectively at the moment.

I'd leave Waggy on the wing, and let him consolidate his natural position for a while.
  • Options
    The boy's a natural finisher. We saw that on many occasions last season as well. He got that shot away on Friday at precisely the right moment and with very little back lift, but it still went in like a bullet.
    He'd be a real handful playing in the middle and would see much more of the ball and be more involved in the game. At some stage I'd love to see him tried there.
  • Options
    Waggy often played as a striker in the youth teams .
  • Options
    doh! thought this woz about peter framptons old band, humble pie. anybody remember the single they released?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently he's by far the fittest player in the squad by the bleeps etc, by some way. In the modern game that counts for a lot. It certainly showed late in the game on Friday.

Did he only sign a one year deal in the end? If he has a few more games like that the vultures will be circling
  • Options
    Two year deal. Yeah OS said Wagstaff was the only player to get a better score than Dailly on the fitness tests.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Friday was still similar to when he was playing well off the bench, tired defenders and space to attack, but it's great to see him set up and score a goal while playing the full 90 minutes.

This is a thought that crossed my mind too and it was Spring who he did, not a proper full back but I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Like I say, we knew he had goals in him and we knew he was athletic and a hard worker, but he has often looked rather lost in games in the past - too easily dominated physically and lacking in invention and creativity. There were still a couple of spells like that on Friday, but I agree with those who say he's bulked up a bit, he definitely wasn't being pushed around as much and I was delighted to see him get an assist (was that his first direct assist in league football?).

I'm not going to get too carried away, but I think he's finally proven he's got more than just workrate and a goal or two in his locker. Hopefully he'll continue to improve and become more influential in games more often.
  • Options
    He was rubbish in the first half. But won us the game in the second. Well done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Two year deal. Yeah OS said Wagstaff was the only player to get a better score than Dailly on the fitness tests.
    Good stuff, that year might be worth a few quid to us...
  • Options
    Must admit i couldnt understand why Reid came off and not Wagstaff,glad im only a supporter as Wagstaff won us the game.
  • Options
    Remember last seasons start - breaking all kinds of records, then Millwall at home, Christmas came, Millwall away.
    At least we wont be losing points to that lot.
    Could we have a better chance this year?
    At least we have more players this season that feel they need to earn their crust.
    All depends on how long this mentality will last.
    I am not quite on the humble pie yet chaps!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: killer kish[/cite]Must admit i couldnt understand why Reid came off and not Wagstaff,glad im only a supporter as Wagstaff won us the game.

More or less the entire crowd at orient was thinking the same, why take reid off and put martin left. Should have been waggy off and martin on the right. But full credit to parky, he knew what he was doing, waggy won the game for us, he just didnt stop running. And having listened to his reasons after the match for leaving waggy on its clear for all to see parky got it spot on.
  • Options
    Well done Waggy. I have to admit that I would definitely have dropped him for The Orient game, playing Martin on the right & Sodje up front with Abbott.

2 great pieces of match winning skill that I didn't know he was capable of.

Now let's see if he can do it again :-)
  • Options
    Waggy showed last year what a powerful shot he posesses.As was commented last year and acknowledged by Queensland Addick he can shoot with no back lift.He looks physically
    stronger this year.With more experience he could play in the hole but I reckon firstly he should establish himself on the right flank.He can still be a treath by positioning himself outside the box from our freekicks and corner kicks and getting the loose balls.He needs to improve his close control and learn to exploit better his pace.Also he is a bit of a slow starter when starting the game and being young and inexperienced that might adversley effect his confidence.
    Orient away has built his reputation.I hope he's on a good contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]dan , we were talking about the same thing driving home.

Waggy has pace and can finish. He has also noticably beefed up. He's not afraid of being tackled either.

Don't know how he would cope with holding up the play or in the air but could be worth a try.

It might work, but at the moment I'd say there's no need.
    With Martin and Abbott working openings there may be lots of opportunities to get himself in the box from playing wide right.
    Rather like Bailey used to do coming in from the left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]doh! thought this woz about peter framptons old band, humble pie. anybody remember the single they released?

Natural Born Boogie.
    I'm not sure it is actually worth remembering though tbh
  • Options
    Natural Born Boogie
  • Options
    Natural Born Boogie was a rubbish song the first time I heard it down the Black Prince circa 1969, and having just listened to it again on Spotify, it sounds even more rubbish 40 years on!

Going back to young Waggy, I'm sure I recall one or two dissident voices on here last season who suggested that ultimately he would turn out to be a better player than Shelvey?

Not saying they were necessarily right. But the claim certainly now looks less improbable than it did at the time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Going back to young Waggy, I'm sure I recall one or two dissident voices on here last season who suggested that ultimately he would turn out to be a better player than Shelvey?

That is a step too far. Not taking anything away from the lad, but I'm not sure I can see him ending up in the premiership....unless we go on a charge up the football league.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Natural Born Boogie was a rubbish song the first time I heard it down the Black Prince circa 1969, and having just listened to it again on Spotify, it sounds even more rubbish 40 years on!
    I quite liked 'i don't need no doctor' from the rockin the filmore album.
  • Options
    when Henry jnr went to the induction for his new school he was told about about one of this illustrious predecessors Peter Frampton.

Can't imagine many 11 year olds would have been impressed.
  • Options
    I am critical of Waggy as when he starts he usually isn't seen, as he was 1st half vs Orient. But 2nd half he won us the game and I hope he pushes on now and produces more and more when he starts.