Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our defensive shape after the sending off..

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
very very good... we pulled in the two full backs and blocked up the penalty area... with all the racon and MAC sitting in...

very solid, could have lasted a lot longer I think as well...

Comments

• Options
    I completely agree, I was also pleased to see Llera play within himself rather than setting off in some bizarre direction only he knew about. It was a great defensive performance in the second half.
  • Options
    From another thread:

[cite]Posted By: Golfy[/cite] * golfaddick
    * CommentTimeJul 6th 2010

quote# 161
    I remember when we sold Andy Reid everybody said the same thing... "good fee for an injury prone player". I was in the minority that said it was a mistake - and I say the same thing this time.

You have been warned.

Thanks for the warning bro but I think we look rather solid in defense, don't you?
  • Options
    I don't get that comment at all.. how does the Sale of Andy Reid 4 years ago affect our performance today? Apart from anything else, Reid was central midfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I don't get that comment at all.. how does the Sale of Andy Reid 4 years ago affect our performance today? Apart from anything else, Reid was central midfield.

He was comparing the sale of Richardson to that of Andy Reid, saying that the sale of the former will prove to be as destructive to the team as that of the latter.
  • Options
    Gotta admit. They didn't look like scoring after the sending off but neither did we. Was great to see everyone put there bodys on the line. Every time it fell on the edge of our box a body was thrown in front of it. Quality spirit and character in the team. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    Frazer was a decent defender at best who lost the ball more than he won it. To suggest that the defence would collapse without him is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Charlton should never have got rid of Jock Campbell. Sort it our Parky you disgrace.
  • Options
    Great shape.
    We didnt fall to deeply and allow orient to keep attacking which was a change.

And FrazerR wasnt as great as people make out imo, he made more mistakes than people realise like losing possession and poor cross balls..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]very very good...

that's because they are getting a lot of practice at it !
  • Options
    Great defensive performance after the sending off. I was pleased for Llera who is clearly a decent bloke, after the poor performance midweek. He came on and showed he has Cojones.

With Llera, in a well organised and tight defence he is solid. In more open and quicker games, 442 without good protection from the midfield, his lack of pace leaves him vulnerable. In the right formation he is an asset. I think that Parkinson should play him more so as to rest Dailey / Doherty so they can both last the season and cut the risk of injuries; but only in a 451 / 4411 / tight formation kind of scenario, not in a 442 / taking account of the opposition / speed of topposite strikers.

Frazier Richardson did some great runs but he could be beaten for pace and is injury prone. Great runs forward. Simon Francis delivery for the first goal was first rate, he also seems to have more physical presence which is needed in league one.

After the loss of Andy Reid, we really lacked creativity and effectively finished off any chance we had of promotion that year. It was also the start of the end for Pardew. Given the financial problems, Pardew's wastefulness, Reid being prone to injury, you can understand the board accepting the money.

I don't agree that Richardson was that important to the team that it will make that much difference.

I think Simon Francis will prove to be a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I tell you what , Richardson may not have been amazing but he was a million times better than Omozusi as was proved last night
  • Options
    Mainly Orient kept lobbing balls in - bread and butter for the remaining two centre halfs, had they played a bit differently it might have been otherwise, still a great result tho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I don't get that comment at all.. how does the Sale of Andy Reid 4 years ago affect our performance today? Apart from anything else, Reid was central midfield.

He was comparing the sale of Richardson to that of Andy Reid, saying that the sale of the former will prove to be as destructive to the team as that of the latter.

You could compare it to the transfer of Danny Mills after relegation.

That didn't stop us going up the next season as champs.
  • Options
    Wagstaff sat right back on that number 13 and helped Francis out, ensuring there were no holes. Really good game plan in the end.
  • Options
    The point for me with the Andy Reid sale is at the time he was not properly replaced, Fraser has been . I thought Francis showed up well last night and we still have Solly,Jenkinson, Mambo and Cousins all ready to come in.

At the time we sold Reid I wanted us to go after Johnny Jackson who I think is wasted at Left Back but could have offered us a similar left footed creative outlet.
  • Options
    Perhaps more importantly regarding Dailey

One for the ladies..

Stubble or clean shaven?
  • Options
    I think Lllera changed the game in that when he came on and we were under the cosh, the defence starting stepping up when the ball went backwards. Only a couple of yards but it made it harder for Orient to find a man without a Charlton player near. We were able to put them under more presuure and break quicker when we won the ball. It is shame that all Dailly's (and Doc's) so called experience doesn't have them doing these simple things.
  • Options
    It was our defensive "shape" that impressed me most last night. Effectively a new back four and yet they worked very well as a unit after only a short period of playing together. I actually predicted exactly the opposite would happen and under prolonged pressure mistakes would result. Bodes very well for the future I think. I really hope that our team spirit and willingness to battle continues to grow because that can be worth a goal lead in itself. I just think we might be onto something a bit special with this lot.
  • Options
    Most positive thing was there was no hanging heads, everyone put in that bit extra to make up for Dailly's departure, no-one looked lost, no panic...

A real team effort...
  • Options
    I'd take Dailly anyway............Stubble or clean shaven lol!!!! xx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Wagstaff sat right back on that number 13 and helped Francis out, ensuring there were no holes. Really good game plan in the end.

And simarly, Martin moved over to LM to give Jacko some cover, so neither full back was exposed.
    It left Abbott isolated, ploughing a loan furrow further forward - but he held the ball up brilliantly and defended from the front.
  • Options
    I was very impressed that a newly formed side could be so organised and put out 2 rigid walls of 4 players. They dealt with everything that The Os threw at them.

Well done boys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: O-Randy-Hunt[/cite]Gotta admit. They didn't look like scoring after the sending off but neither did we

You mean apart from the two goals we did score??
  • Options
    Exaclty. Our 2 goals were against the run of play. I honestly couldn't see us scoring when the ball just kept getting lumped forward and the back into our box.
  • Options
    What length of contracts are our current back 4/5/6 on ? How many with us next year regardless of division ?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Francis 2 years,
    Doherty 2 years
    Dailly 1 year
    Jacko 2 years

Llera 1 year
    Solly 1 year
    Youga 1 year
  • Options
    Mambo
    Elliott
    Worner

???

In my book not conceding another after the Dailly sending off owes a lot to the defensive cover given by BOTH McCormack and Racon - as well as Llera's aerial presence.