Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey to train with Palace next week

Been told today Basey is going there next week, to start training, has been offered a deal at Aberdeen but hasn't accepted it.

Comments

• Options
    well he should know better than to go there

will deserve any stick he gets going to the stripey scum
  • Options
    Aye but it means we'd get some compo if he went there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Aye but it means we'd get some compo if he went there

Dont think we will as we did not offer him a contract.
  • Options
    hmm ok if you say so
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hmm ok if you say so

I dont say so that is why i said dont think
  • Options
    I thought that we couldn't match his current terms therefore he's a free agent, regardless of whether he moves in country or not.
  • Options
    I think as long as we offered him in writing a contract the same as his last one or greater then we get compo . Got a feeling we didn't match his last one though
  • Options
    How Palace are even allowed to sign players just highlights the mockery of football.

Our own fault for not offering Basey a contract if he goes there.
  • Options
    Basey will be no loss to us in my opinion we have better at the club,

going to that tinpot shithouse thats the problem
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I thought that we couldn't match his current terms therefore he's a free agent, regardless of whether he moves in country or not.

This is my understanding of the rules as well!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Basey will be no loss to us in my opinion we have better at the club,

going to that tinpot shithouse thats the problem
    FACT!!!
  • Options
    He's a Charlton fan isn't he?

Either way I reckon he'd just end up in the same position as he was here with us at Palace.
  • Options
    no charlton fan would go and play there surely , what if you score how could you celebrate with those scummy feckas
  • Options
    He's not a Charlton fan but said he supports Arsenal. I was disappointed when he went but would have only retained him as a squad player.

With Doc Dailly and Llera he would be too slow to be left back in the current set up.
  • Options
    he was gutted to be offred what he was, he would have loved to have stayed but was told he wasn't going to figure, so good luck Grant where ever you end up.I've read alot on here about him being too slow etc etc.But he has a little bit of quality about him which will see him have adecent pro-career imo.
  • Options
    As much as we'd all like to see young players come through I agree with NLA, Basey is no real loss.

That's not to say he wouldn't have been useful, or that he won't develop and become a better player.

At the moment we have better players in every position he can play. He's 22 in a few months, he needs to play regular football.
  • Options
    Even if he is training with Palarse it doesn't mean he will be signing for them. Fortune trained with us to keep fit, but that was all.
  • Options
    i didnt mean it as a slight on bassey he could easily have done a job but for me he was no better than the options we had and was infact further down the pecking order than was proberly fair to him, the amounts being talked about are not a great deal and if that is the figure then i feel had to leave for his sake
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I took this from the Scottish Press today

ABERDEEN manager Mark McGhee has not given up hope of signing former Charlton defender Grant Basey and Aston Villa attacker Jim Collins.

The moves have stalled as McGhee attempts to move some of his young squad players out on loan.

But he is confident of landing Basey and does not think the departure of Martin O’Neill from Villa has ended Aberdeen’s chances of a season-long loan deal for Collins.

McGhee said: “Basey is waiting for the button to be pressed. It is about one or two of the youngsters going out the other way.

“We are still hopeful something might happen with Collins even after Martin's departure. Again it depends on players going the other way, just in terms of the clutter of having a lot of young forwards here.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1870964?UserKey=#ixzz0wce8tnxk
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i didnt mean it as a slight on bassey he could easily have done a job but for me he was no better than the options we had and was infact further down the pecking order than was proberly fair to him, the amounts being talked about are not a great deal and if that is the figure then i feel had to leave for his sake
    I do agree, decent enough player, wouldn't have let us down. We just can't offer him the games he needs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Youga ever gets fit, then Basey would be our thrid choice left back and is probably 4/5th choice CB so it is best for both parties if he goes somewhere else, wish him all the best and there is a decent player there, could with some more experience and decent coaching turn into a good Championship player but one problem aside from the lack of pace if finding a best position. Also with finances the way they are, surely the money that would be used for his wages would be best utilised elsewhere- like the illusive striker.
  • Options
    He could injure a few, whilst he was training with them.
  • Options
    SLP Twitter says this isn't true.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    From the summer interview i did with Basey he told us he was offered deals at Inverness, Swindon and Brentford but declined as he wanted to stay at Charlton because he has been at The Valley since the age of 9, when Rufus was centre back.
    Yes he is an Arsenal fan