Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

is akpo the new leaburn?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]I'm 99% sure that when people pass comment on here saying they don't rate player X or manager Y they don't booooo them at the games and they get behind whoever is representing charlton
    So what is the problem with passing a view that isn't flattering about a player on a website
    Touchy and precious , springs to mind !

So you think the thread title is comparing how they play not if Akpo is crap ?
    Nieve springs to mind.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    I remember it happening with John Robinson

Don't think so. Surely not?

If anyone did ever dare boo him then they should have been banned from the Valley

There was a small minority who got on his back in his last season but they were soon put in their place . To be fair I think they were the glory hunters who just came when were in the top flight.
  • Options
    nowhere in my post did I use the words shite or crap about either player.
    the reason I started the discussion, if i'm honest was because, i was sitting twiddling my thumbs on a sunday afternoon wondering how i could turn the forum into the " itchy and scratchy show " from the simpsons. leaburn who I loved as a player but was prone to the odd 1 or 2 glaring misses in his time as has akpo in his short career with us and so of course have other players but it just goes to show how short a fuse some people are on or who can start putting things into other peoples mouths that weren't their.

this is a discussion group right?;->
  • Options
    I thought Akpo played very well against Bournemouth. Thought it was a bit unfair, that along with Solly, he was dropped for the Orient game.

The decision was correct, in light of the result, but it's a bit unfair of people to get on his back, when considering the limited game time he has had this season, he has done very well. Had some good moments last year too! He's not perfect, but he can be a threat, has popped up with some timely goals, & he does work hard.

He has my full support for as long as he wears our shirt, as did Leaburn, during his tenure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]In regards to the Akpo cant jump comment, it seems like he honestly had trouble judging timing when he first joined.

Then suddenly, Norwich at home he started to win headers. Strange one really.

I blame that on the coaching.

;o)
  • Options
    Akpo was a vital part of creating Solly's goal at Orient, as we all clearly saw.

The stats won't give him any credit, but we should!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I guess that now waggy, solly and macca are suddenly good players we needed a new scapegoat - )
    Dear god man your smiley has no eyes!

Leaburn did something Akpo can't and Akpo does something Leaburn couldnt. There is little or no similarity in play style!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]nowhere in my post did I use the words shite or crap about either player.

No , you didnt have to .
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]nowhere in my post did I use the words shite or crap about either player.

No , you didnt have to .

IMPLYING WHAT, SIR! You have dishonoured my good name

I throw my imaginary gauntlet at your feet and challenge you to a duel, sabres at dawn, my seconds will be in touch. ?;-{>

i remind you, i used the phrase "legend leaburn" that doesn't translate as crap or shite in my book and i do not think the same of akpo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]

No , you didnt have to .

IMPLYING WHAT, SIR! You have dishonoured my good name

I throw my imaginary gauntlet at your feet and challenge you to a duel, sabres at dawn, my seconds will be in touch. ?;-{>

i remind you, i used the phrase "legend leaburn" that doesn't translate as crap or shite in my book and i do not think the same of akpo!

Very Good! Point taken
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "I'm 99% sure that when people pass comment on here saying they don't rate player X or manager Y they don't booooo them at the games and they get behind whoever is representing charlton
    So what is the problem with passing a view that isn't flattering about a player on a website
    Touchy and precious , springs to mind !"

Totally agree with this comment.

What happens at a game and comments that are made on here are 2 different things as far as I'm concerned. Isn't that what websites like this are for?

I don't understand why people seem to have such a hard time understanding that!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Back to the subject eh?

This is why i dont post on here that much, everyones so eager to play one upmanship and criticize on every post....

Sillav's orginal post mentioned Leaburn as being a legend, and maybe he was, well perhaps not in the same way as killer but he played a massive part in our history. Undoubtedly skillfull but he was bambi on ice epitomised. I've been lucky enough to been going to the valley since i was 3 and have seen the tail end of killer and flash - and was a teenager loving gthe skillfull flicks and chest downs Leaburn provided - great player and very frustrating in his own right.

Akpo...Legend???? never....

And thats the great thing about football and Charlton...we can voice our opinions and each have our own...hopefully without it turning into a pi$$ing contest about spelling, grammer and whos a real supporter or not...

/rant off...
  • Options
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Making playing comparisons is stupid anyway...

Today's game is much faster than in Leaburn's day...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Making playing comparisons is stupid anyway...

ANOTHER SCOUNDREL BLACKENING MY GOOD NAME!

I throw my imaginary gauntlet at your feet sir and challenge you to a duel. conkers at dawn, my seconds will call on you, you bounder. ?;-{>
  • Options
    Akpo is in the three worst strikers I have seen at Charlton. He offers nothing. Has no pace and for a big lump no physical presence. And his inability to head the ball is something else.
  • Options
    Wait until Akpo has played a few more games when he is fit and had a proper pre-season and he might change a few minds.

Remember Solly was lightweight and Waggy was just not good enough about 10 days ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Akpo is in the three worst strikers I have seen at Charlton. He offers nothing. Has no pace and for a big lump no physical presence. And his inability to head the ball is something else.
    What about his goals?
  • Options
    Alex Dyer...with more goals
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Akpo is in the three worst strikers I have seen at Charlton. He offers nothing. Has no pace and for a big lump no physical presence. And his inability to head the ball is something else.

How long have you been watching Charlton to think Akpo is one of the top three worst Charlton Strikers ever? l

He's already made liabilities like Marcus Bent and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink look far worse than him with his 7 goals in 11 starts and to say he offers nothing is ridiculous. He scores goals - End of story.

If by the end of the season hes scored 1 league goal and 1 cup goal like fat arsed Jimmy then maybe i will agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm prepared to give Akpo some time and fitness is a big factor for any player but not been impressed so far. Leaburn was far from a donkey but was also very limited unless he had his back to goal. Abbot, on what i could make out from the Leyton orient game (i've been out the country for a bit) looks like he has the all round package at this level. Akpo doesn't look like he'll be anything more than a bit part player for us. hope i'm wrong.
  • Options

but he scores goals
  • Options

BTW, you're not by any chance the same Large Addick who was calling McCormack a waste of space and money, a couple of weeks ago, are you?

Hope not. Because that particular LargeAddick has often proved he's not always the best judge of a player.

;o)
  • Options

Lawrie Abrahams, George Hopeless, Izale Mcleod, Chris Dickson - that's 4 worse strikers without even thinking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Lawrie Abrahams

A bit harsh, Lawrie.

Your namesake was a bit lightweight, I remember ........ but he had some decent ball skills,
    Good link up play and scored a few goals without being prolific.

Bit of a Dave Mooney, I suppose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]

Lawrie Abrahams, George Hopeless, Izale Mcleod, Chris Dickson - that's 4 worse strikers without even thinking

Billy Lansdowne, Barry Enden, Mike F******** Small.
  • Options
    Barry Endean ...... what a tub of lard in slow motion he turned out to be.

Not your finest signing Theo ..... but then you did sign King Arthur, Killer, Flash and, erm, Dickie, Dickie, Dickie Plumb.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

BTW, you're not by any chance the same Large Addick who was calling McCormack a waste of space and money, a couple of weeks ago, are you?

Hope not. Because that particular LargeAddick has often proved he's not always the best judge of a player.

;o)

I said that based on one appearance against Welling and said so at the time. I have since given him fulsome praise for his two league performances.

And this is the same LargeAddick who was singing Waggy's and Solly's abilities BEFORE the season started not after a couple of good performances by them unlike some on here. BTW, Solly must start at RB against Oldham otherwise it's a travesty.
  • Options
    Just tongue in cheek, Large ...... but you be nice to Akpo.
    He has his limitations - but he's good at what he's good at. Parky thinks so too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parky thinks so too.

whoopee ;0)