Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Website Help

SE9SE9
edited August 2010 in Not Sports Related
Does anyone know/recommend anyone that are good at getting websites as high up on google as possible? Just need to get a couple of websites optimised as I think they could be doing better than what they are currently doing..
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• depends on your budget mate.

I know a few agencies but they arent cheap!

Might be better off looking at doing a certain amount of it yourself or looking at PPC adverts on Google or facebook.
  • All down to money I'm afraid (aint that life?)

Recently after years of promising I built an online shop for Mrs Soapy's ailing craft business.

The Google route for me was frustrating. Got a GoogleAds a/c and then played around a bit trying to get my campaigns right. However if you do not have a budget and/or are strapped for cash you can soon rack up fees to Google that you can ill afford. I therefore suspended my efforts there. I then looked into Google Basic (Merchant Centre) which is free. If you have a shop site then you will have the ability to produce a flat .txt file of products and you can upload this file into Merchant Centre. You have to authenticate your site first to Google which I found the most frustrating (old dog and new tricks etc....meta tags???? wtf are they?). It basically enables you to put your product range out there into Google land and any potential searchers who hit the right combination of words will be directed directly to that page of your website. Early days yet but as we do not have the money to employ a professional outfit, we have no choice. Good luck.
  • The cost of SEO is outrageous. Best of luck to you - I wouldn't recommend any of the agencies I've worked with because they are hideously expensive
  • I work for a high profile company running one of their websites, and over the last couple of years have spent a lot of time with an agency (Intelligent Positioning) on this.

There's a hundred and one things you can do to boost SEO. Some are simple (making sure you have the right phrases in your body text), some not so. But as the other guys have said, it depends on your budget. If you are on shoestring, chances are you won't be able to do a great deal to affect your Google rank.

If you would like to send me a PM with your email, I can send you one of our 'suggestion documents', so you have an idea of what kind of advice we get from IP... Although, that said, our Google referrals are still not what they should be. Sometimes it's not as simple as being the top ranking site...
  • I know just the man - I will whisper his details to you.
  • edited August 2010
    Have you got a blog, updated regularly, and with interesting content? ......if not get that started, put up some interesting and benficial topics/content or newsworthy items that will appeal to your own particular niche market - and of course links back to your website.

Get everybody you know to follow your blog to start with, and once you get a bit of traffic, the Google spiders will start picking it up.

But I must stress the blog site must contain useful news, tips, solutions and interest to your customer market (maybe also selective links to other useful and hopefully non-competitive sites) - and be updated regularly.

It'll cost you nothing except the time you take to research and write a few paragraphs to appeal to your niche market.
    But it must contain information that readers will find useful or interesting.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Have you got a blog, updated regularly, and with interesting content? ......if not get that started, put up some interesting and benficial topics/content or newsworthy items that will appeal to your own particular niche market - and of course links back to your website.

Get everybody you know to follow your blog to start with, and once you get a bit of traffic, the Google spiders will start picking it up.

But I must stress the blog site must contain useful news, tips, solutions and interest to your customer market (maybe also selective links to other useful and hopefully non-competitive sites) - and be updated regularly.

It'll cost you nothing except the time you take to research and write a few paragraphs to appeal to your niche market.
    But it must contain information that readers will find useful or interesting.

Top advice there. Also comment on relevant forums with links back to the websites (if allowed).

the structure of the website, links to the site, the content are all very important, but regular updated content is key.

Edit - key to keeping it up the top of the rankings.
  • if you look for cpa, ppc or ppv companies make sure you don't get screwed about. At one time I used to be a business dev manager at one of them and boy the best chance you have is to go to the major players ie google for example
  • Thanks to every one for there help, as the norm it seems money talks!!!