Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jon Macken

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]He isnt gonna trun round and say

''"What we've got at the moment is Lee Martin, Kyel Reid, Scott Wagstaff, Pawel Abbott and they are all exciting players. Akpo Sodje is a bit shit mind you.''

lol, VG!

Maybe you're right ...... but depending on number of appearances/starts, Akpo seems good for 12-15 goals this season.
  • Options
    I think Akpo, at least when he's playing well, will be relatively interchangable with Abbott as they'll both play well in a pairing with Martin, imo. Abbott is clearly the more cultured, but Akpo is a bit more mobile and battering ram like. Abbott will start the most games and score more goals but in certain horses for courses situations Akpo will do some good for us this season imo - he's a better option as a squad player than Mcleod, Dickson and Fleetwood were last year.

It's what we have as an alternative to Martin that bothers me, be that a similar player to play off a big man, or a faster poacher to play up next to, or even in front of the Abbot/Akpo target man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]He isnt gonna trun round and say

''"What we've got at the moment is Lee Martin, Kyel Reid, Scott Wagstaff, Pawel Abbott and they are all exciting players. Akpo Sodje is a bit shit mind you.''

lol, VG!

Maybe you're right ...... but depending on number of appearances/starts, Akpo seems good for 12-15 goals this season.

I actaully agree. Techinically i think Akpo is a very poor footballer....almost clumsy at times. BUT he seems to have a knack of knicking a goal every now and again. scores shinners and deflected headers..but they all count right!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]if we are to have a serious push at promotion i believe akpo's appearances will have to be limited to covering short term injuries and appearing off the bench
    imo he isn't good enough to be a regular starter for genuine promtion contenders and looking at parkys team selection last friday he believes the same too

I tend to agree but he's here to do a certain job at certain times and that is fine. As Exiled says he is more of a battering ram and more mobile than Abbott but Pavel has a better touch.

There will be games and teams where Akpo's strengths will be needed and he could play alongside either Martin or Abbott quite effectively.

I like what I've seen of Martin but it's early days. Let's hope we can get another striker to compliment the three we have.
  • Options
    What I find preposterous, is that the people who think Akpo is awful, secretly think Parky thinks he is awful too, but won't admit it.

He may not be first choice, but Parky signed him, & I doubt there was a gun put to his head, when the 'certain amount of games played' clause was put into the loan deal. If he didn't want him, he wouldn't be here, irrespective of that clause.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]if we are to have a serious push at promotion i believe akpo's appearances will have to be limited to covering short term injuries and appearing off the bench
    imo he isn't good enough to be a regular starter for genuine promtion contenders and looking at parkys team selection last friday he believes the same too

I tend to agree but he's here to do a certain job at certain times and that is fine. As Exiled says he is more of a battering ram and more mobile than Abbott but Pavel has a better touch.

There will be games and teams where Akpo's strengths will be needed and he could play alongside either Martin or Abbott quite effectively.

I like what I've seen of Martin but it's early days. Let's hope we can get another striker to compliment the three we have.

I think mobility is is worst trait. He has no pace over ten yards and can't sprint. Perhaps over 100 yds he's okay because his legs have got pumping and by then he has a head of steam up but over short distances forget it.
  • Options
    Generally agree, Akpo is one of the players here who will play his part but won't start every game. Squad player like Llera is and Spring was. Every club needs squad players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    I think mobility is is worst trait. He has no pace over ten yards and can't sprint. Perhaps over 100 yds he's okay because his legs have got pumping and by then he has a head of steam up but over short distances forget it.

I think you are right to an extent Large, he doesn't accelerate particularly well, but Abbott looks very slow also - at top whack Akpo is the quicker of the two and if we need someone to chase long balls into the channels he'll do it better than Abbott (think how he played in the 9-man game vs Swindon). He also carrys a lot of momentum, so once he gets a head of steam up, he tends to charge through defenders.

As others have said, he ain't cultured and at times he can be down right clumsy, but that doesn't mean he has no abilities and that doesn't mean he won't do good things for us at times this season. He played well in the first game and scored the winner.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should make him first choice and rely heaviliy on him, but I donlt feel he's so poor that we need to replace him either. If Abbott gets badly injured then we might need to explore our options in the loan market, but until then he's more than adequate back-up, imo.
  • Options
    Akpo will prove valuable as the season goes on. Not good enough for us to start every game but from the bench he can be very useful and when Abbott is unavailable, Sodje will be an able deputy. Expect him to get double figures and anything above that will be a bonus.
  • Options
    still looks like he runs with ski's on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Akpo is not just back up for Abbott .....but he is horses for courses - he can play a different role when we need something different.

It's evident that Akpo's no worldbeater, but he is reasonably effective - and his stats prove it.

Even this season in just 2 games, 1 start and a 10 min sub (total about 90 mins) ...... he has scored the matchwinner and played a vital role in setting up Waggy to provide the assist for Solly's goal.

So he's certainly effective ......so why do people keep belittling Akpo ?
  • Options
    Golfie is a WUM.
  • Options
    Jon Macken?

Get a grip.
  • Options
    The fact that he has gone to Walsall says it all really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jon Macken [/cite]
    MickeyBennett?

Get a grip.

;o)
  • Options
    2 games in, 1 winner and set up another goal and already some people have eyed up Akpo as their new stuff scapegoat for this season. I suppose people need one now Sam has gone.

It really is pathetic.
  • Options
    Lol people crack me up. Has anybody who advocates signing him, seen him play? I'd doubt they even saw him when he was at PNE. He's absolute over-rated shite. I'd rather get David Johnson out of retirement, at least he scored consistently for a couple of clubs. Macken's been atrocious for only ten seasons???????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah let's go the Jordan way of over-paying for wages and transfers for atrocious players.
  • Options
    colin, I think most of us saw him play, and score twice, for Barnsley at the Valley.

You have your views with which I agree more times than not but that doesn't make any one with a different opinion a no nothing idiot.
  • Options
    Woah, sorry but Walsall are welcome to him imo.

Agree that Akpo needs to be a bit-part player, and I think he will be. Abbott and someone quick will hopefully be our pairing.

Good observation about Akpo being poor at accelerating, and it actually makes him look really old and unfit
  • Options
    UPDATE............

2 now in the league this season.........more than our strikers and the same amount for all our strikers put together !!

May not be THE answer, but better than anything showing for us atm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah but maybe they are creating chances
  • Options
    Golfie give it a rest he is pony and he is 33.

We have the Sodje and Ansiyah on 1 each

Since the Sodje scored i dont think he has started again Ansiyah has played 1 scored 1

Abbott and Benson need the ball played to them before they could score

we could have Benty, Drogba, Torres, Rooney, Villa, playing for us and none of them would score because we have no idea who or how to pass to them.

If we were missing chance after chance you could say we have missed a trick