Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parachute payments, TV money and all that

IAIA
edited August 2010 in Other Football and Sports
Does anyone know when exactly the parachute payments came in, and how much is given to all teams? I'm sure there must be a website with this information on it, but I haven't found one yet. I think I have the right figures for the Premier League money, and the solidarity payments to the Football League, but having trouble with historical figures and the exact terms of the parachute payments. My usual source for this kind of information, David Conn, seems to contradict himself, which isn't much help.

If no one here knows, who at the club could I contact who would have the combination of knowledge about this and patience to answer my questions?

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Norwich got £10K for winning league one - laughable - Southampton got £1M for Johnson Paint - I appreciate the value in promotion is extra TV money said to be around £2-£2.5M but with additional wage expectations also.

I thought that each team now gets 4 years parachute payments of £12M per year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8671551.stm
  • £10,000 for winning this league?! I know it's the third division but that is mental!
  • [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]Norwich got £10K for winning league one - laughable - Southampton got £1M for Johnson Paint - I appreciate the value in promotion is extra TV money said to be around £2-£2.5M but with additional wage expectations also.

I thought that each team now gets 4 years parachute payments of £12M per year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8671551.stm

I thought it was £23M per year but could be wrong. As for £10K for winning this leaque, quite clearly the FA are not interested in who get's promoted. What an imbalance against what you get for coming near the bottom inthe EPL. How much is generated from the play off finals, considerably more than £10K. I think a large chunk of that revenue should go towards the three teams promoted. That could £500K for first, £250K for second and £100K for third.
  • £10,000 for winning this league?! I know it's the third division but that is mental!......

When you have prem players pissing away that on a Saturday night in a west end club, it certainly is.....
  • IAIA
    edited August 2010
    Found this

Championship Winners £50,000
    Championship Runners Up £25,000

L1 Winners £25,000
    L1 Runners Up £10,000

L2 Winners £25,000
    L2 Runners Up £10,000
    L2 Third Place £5,000

The main prize is the fact that they'll be playing in a higher division, with bigger TV revenue, bigger attendances and better sponsorship prospects etc

Important to remember that the "prize money" quoted above is, I think, the additional money from the Football League compared to the team in 3rd. I don't actually know if prize money is tiered based on finishing position or if the rest of the money is allocated equally (this is the type of question I'd like an answer for). In the Premier League, the winners get about £800k more than 2nd, who get £800k more than 3rd etc. About half of the money is divided in this way and half is shared equally among the teams.

I thought the playoff revenues were shared among the four teams who qualified for the playoffs at each level.

This is the thing, Maglor, I have it written down somewhere, but I think I have two conflicting possibilities. One is that it's £12m per year for 4 years and another is £16m, £16m, £8m, £8m. I would also like to know when the parachute payments were introduced. The best information I have so far is that they were brought in for the 2006-07 season, but that seems too late.
  • The BBC are never wrong mate :P
  • Does anyone know who the best person to ask at the club would be? There's limited and contradictory information out there online, and very little by the way of historical data. None of the titles on the website contact list stand out at me, so if anyone knows who at the club would have this information and be willing to pass it on, please do say so.

Thanks
  • It's not really anyone at the club's job to answer random questions about the history of the league - in any case, they'd be unlikely to know any more than you can find on the internet.

I reckon we got a parachute payment in 1999/2000, but couldn't swear to it.
  • I know it's not anyone's job to answer random questions, just wondered if someone might be able to. Surprised there aren't records of these things. Thanks for that info on parachute payments in 1999/2000
  • I've a feeling that parachute payments are a recent innovation - within the last decade and therefore we didn't get anything with relegation in 1999, but we did with our last relegation (£6.5m IIRC).
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not write to the Premier League?

Why does it matter though?

money-parachute.jpg