Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3 signings this week - one has to be a creative midfielder

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Fortune, a striker (Benson i guess) and who else? Personally i think it should be a creative midfielder if poss but rumoured to be a winger. Think our 2 wingers are good enough.

Comments

• Options
    who said there was going to be 3 this week?
  • Options
    In line with this thread...

Pele
    Bobby Moore
    is the last one Ralf Coates?
  • Options
    Omar Poussin, lay a lorra of eggs or just get Ambrose back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Fortune, a striker (Benson i guess) and who else? Personally i think it should be a creative midfielder if poss but rumoured to be a winger. Think our 2 wingers are good enough.

But its about building a squad of 20 or so players not building a first 11. Yes our 2 wingers are good enough, but if they were to get injured who takes their place? Saturday proved it, we don't have a strong enough squad to compete over a full season.

If the money is only going to stretch another 3 players then forget fortune and bring in more options up front
  • Options
    We desperately need more than 2 wingers. One new winger and Martin gives us 4 main options out wide.

Don't see how we can afford another centre back. Dailly, Doherty, Llera with cover from Mambo and Semedo is enough.
  • Options
    Ibrahimovic, Lucio, Schweinsteiger?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We desperately need more than 2 wingers. One new winger and Martin gives us 4 main options out wide.

Jackson can cover left mid if/when Youga is fit again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We desperately need more than 2 wingers. One new winger and Martin gives us 4 main options out wide.

Jackson can cover left mid if/when Youga is fit again.
    We need an alternative to Wagstaff though and Youga is a lot way off being fit.
  • Options
    Hasn't Parky already said that Fortune looks unlikely? (unless that was just to spur him on). That creative mid could be Johnny Jackson once Youga gets fit. As for wingers, Parky clearly wants back-up, and isn't over-impressed with Smart so another looks likely unless Martin spends more time there.
  • Options
    I like Sean Thorton who is a free transfer after leaving Leyton Orient i seem to recall all the Orient fans moaning about why they didnt keep him as he was one of their best players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Reid and Waggy both seem capable of creating chances, as does Martin and Waggy will benefit from a left-footer putting him in behind if/when Jackson get a game in the middle. Both Racon and Mac are capable of in the last third if they weren’t trying to cover the whole area between the two 18 yard boxes on their own. Don’t need another slow centre-back, sorry Jon. We need a winger as cover and two forwards. I still think we missed a trick in Mulley as a cheap utility player who would benefit from full-time football.
  • Options
    Info follows the EGM - looks like Fortune, a striker and probably a winger. I don't see that we have a creative midfielder in the club and i know a good player isn't going to be cheap and accepting that we need a bit more pace at centre half and definitely another striker, my point is that a creative midfield player would seem more needed than another winger on the basis that we don't have one.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]In line with this thread...

Pele
    Bobby Moore
    is the last one Ralf Coates?[/quote]

Something wrong with this thread Bibble?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Info follows the EGM - looks like Fortune, a striker and probably a winger. I don't see that we have a creative midfielder in the club and i know a good player isn't going to be cheap and accepting that we need a bit more pace at centre half and definitely another striker, my point is that a creative midfield player would seem more needed than another winger on the basis that we don't have one.
    Fair enough, if we can get Fortune plus 2 more signings then that's great.

A winger could be that creative player. Hopefully someone who picks out crosses and passes rather than another direct pacey player like Reid and Wagstaff.

Not sure if Jackson's really creative but he might move in CM. Like last season it's the one position we have several decent options.
  • Options
    Must say i disagree. I think the lack of a proper midfield playmaker has been a deficiency since Murphy left the club and Jenson before him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Info follows the EGM - looks like Fortune, a striker and probably a winger. I don't see that we have a creative midfielder in the club and i know a good player isn't going to be cheap and accepting that we need a bit more pace at centre half and definitely another striker, my point is that a creative midfield player would seem more needed than another winger on the basis that we don't have one.

Sorry in order to be able to take part surly those not at the EGM need to be told what was actually said that sparked these thoughts?
  • Options
    id call Andy Reid a playmaker though Dan so been missing one since Jan 08.
  • Options
    Andy Reid was a winger who was too slow / unfit to play there. A good player but not a proper centre midfield playmaker in my opinion. Harvey's trainer - i wasn't there but have been told these bits by somebody who was.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Must say i disagree. I think the lack of a proper midfield playmaker has been a deficiency since Murphy left the club and Jenson before him.
    I don't disagree with that (though as I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY, Reid was a playmaker), I just don't see where we are going to find one that is affordable and doesn't have big weaknesses in their game. I don't think we can afford to accommodate anyone in the team (like we had to with Murphy) that won't work hard and play their part defensively. So where do you find a fairly hard working creative playmaker for League One? Are there even any at this level?

With the players we have I also don't think Parky is looking to buy one. We have two out and out wingers and 'solid' CMs in Semedo and McCormack.
  • Options
    Creative midfielder - Harry Arter.............oh, sorry we let him go as we had Bryan Hughes ahead of him.

ho hum !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    another one for you..........Nicky Adams. Tricky midfielder / left winger that played for Orient last season and ran rings round us in their win at the Valley

oh..........he's just joined Wasall.

ho hum.
  • Options
    I don't disagree - we have to trust Parky to know this division i suppose. If the way out of this division is solid in the middle and create down the wings then fair enough but it didn't work Saturday - that's my concern and from what i'm told, that 3rd player will be a winger so it looks like that is how he sees it. I won't be complaining if it does work because getting down the wings and slinging crosses over is something we haven't done much of in recent times but if it's not working, there doesn't appear to bea plan B, unless we saw a glimpse of it in Martin dropping back Saturday. I think also in the last half hour it was obvious we needed to put a pacey striker on to stretch their defense but didn't have one.
  • Options
    I really don't know why we are signing Fortune who has been out for a while and we have plenty of cover there in Doc, Dailly Llera and Fry.

His wage would be better used getting Benson plus another striker imo
  • Options
    Fortune,if fully fit and with his brain in gear,would be the best defender in this league by a country mile.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]

Sorry in order to be able to take part surly those not at the EGM need to be told what was actually said that sparked these thoughts?

As said on EGM thread Murray said three more, hopefully this week, and one could be fortune. Others will be a striker and a winger/striker.

Good point though Bexley Dan, you could have given your source and said some more about the EGM.

Jackson is a creative midfielder.

Golfie, give it a rest. harry arter? Cos he did so well against us didn't he?
  • Options
    He would be quicker than those 3 / 4 i guess and if he gets his act together will probably be the best (certainly given that Daily and Docherty aren't getting any younger / will they be able to play week in week out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Creative midfielder - Harry Arter.............oh, sorry we let him go as we had Bryan Hughes ahead of him.

ho hum !
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]another one for you..........Nicky Adams. Tricky midfielder / left winger that played for Orient last season and ran rings round us in their win at the Valley

oh..........he's just joined Wasall.

ho hum.
    Well then I guess our season is all over. They were the two options we had to sign as there is simply no one else out there.

We let Arter go last summer because we had Shelvey, Bailey, Semedo, Racon and Spring ahead of him.
  • Options
    Varney = Winger/Striker? Benson = Striker?
  • Options
    How old is fortune , younger or older than docherty ?
  • Options
    Both born 1980, Fortune 7/8 months younger.