Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Songs You Wish We Wouldn't Sing?

Comments

• Options
    think you'd be surprised just how shit some parts of England can be in comparison to a lot of south east london - and in turn just how shit some countries can be to live in in comparison to England. Anyway, fair enough but don't think the song 'oh south london' is meant to be taken too literally.
  • Options
    English by Birth
    Charlton by the grace of god

Oh South LONDON IS WONDERFULL
    OH SOUTH LONDON IS WONDERFULL
    ITS FULL OF TITTS FANNY AND CHARLTON

enough said
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]So you think London is better than everywhere else, but it's a shithole? Open up your bloody eyes and live in Liverpool or Leeds or Middlesborough mate, and stop slagging off your own fecking area. And on the note of 'not giving a shit' about a copper falling off his horse because it's before your time, is Selhurst and Upton Park before your time? If so don't bother singing VFR either, come to think of it how about you go away and support Arsenal or Chelsea?
    Hang on read what I said properly, firstly I said that South London was a shithole, not all of London as a whole and I did acknowledge that even some areas of South London are nice. I also said that I've been across the country and I wouldn't swap where I live for anywhere else. Also I said that even if a copper did fall off his horse in my time I really wouldn't give a shit because I just don't see whats so great about it. Finally you couldn't pay me to support either of those two.
  • Options
    is this heading for a sink? what qualifies for a sinking?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]is this heading for a sink? what qualifies for a sinking?
    When it becomes a boring repetitive argument that nobody is interested in other than those who are trying to show how big their internet bollocks are.
  • Options
    As someone who used to watch his football in the Covered End back in the 70s, there's almost no comparison with today's "North Stand" or whatever it's blandly called.

Okay, back then, it was terraces and crush barriers under a low tin roof - it didn't take too much to create an atmosphere.
    If we scored, it was always "Knees up Mother Brown", as we danced and jumped together in celebration, and tumbled down the terrace. It was our goalscoring ritual. What do we have today .....?

We had loads of songs and chants based around the latest chart songs, with the lyrics adapted to Charlton content.
    Same with some traditional songs too.....everybody would know the tune, and soon picked up the new "Charlton" lyrics.
    Why nothing like this today?

We always targeted the referee, ("Who's your father referee? You ain't got one, you're a .....etc) and singled out an opponent to hate if he committed a foul, "Animal!, Animal!"...... or "Chicken Curry!, Chicken Curry!", as England international Tony Currie, shaped up to take a penalty.

Any boo-ing was always aimed at the referee or opponents - never at your own team.
    But then I suppose there was the slow handclap if people thought the effort wasn't there.

We had all sorts of songs, to include the names of favourite players. We had a laugh too ..... a copper would move into the crowd to remove somebody using bad language, and they'd be a bit of a tussle - and the copper's helmet would come off, "Who's that copper with the helmet on, etc ....", and then a couple of coppers would march behind the goal to assist, and the Covered End would whistle the Laurel & Hardy theme tune.

As you'll all well know, it was all 2nd and 3rd Division stuff - and sometimes the quality of football wasn't always there or we found ourselves trailing late in the match.

Now this is the difference: ......the crowd would start to get behind the team, urging them on - and in no time the ground would be rocking, lifting the team to stage a "Grandstand" finish. Quite often we'd snatch that 88th minute equaliser or last kick of the game winner. The crowd and team became one.

Even if we didn't and opponents hung on, we'd come away knowing that we gave it our best shot.
    And just as importantly, we'd still had a good trime and a good day out.

These days, half the crowd has left 10 minutes before the end "...to beat the traffic".
    How do you raise the atmosphere for a Grandstand finish, if half the crowd have already gone home ...???
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: sailor[/cite]
    I really don't like endless journey, just too clever and never a football song.
    [cite]Posted by: windscreen[/cite]
    It wasnt written as a terrace song....but like yourself I hate it too, worst thing I ever done!
    I thought it was shite too but I never said so in case I hurt your feelings...
  • Options
    I have said it before and I will say it again.

Am I the only one that has spotted the large dose of irony surrounding those that sing the incest song.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    We had loads of songs and chants based around the latest chart songs, with the lyrics adapted to Charlton content.
    Same with some traditional songs too.....everybody would know the tune, and soon picked up the new "Charlton" lyrics.
    Why nothing like this today?
    I don't think anyone has much in the way of chart-based material any more. It seems to me that the reasons are more to do with the way music is now than how Charlton or football are. There's two specific aspects to this, first most modern music is tuneless crap (of course, that might just be my age speaking), the second is that there's so much choice in terms of musical style and listening media that not everybody listens to the same stuff anymore. Charts have diversified to the point where a single list of best sellers is going to be meaningless to most people. Here's a challenge - can anyone here list (without looking it up) this week's top ten? As a kid, me and all my mates could do this every week. Now, I know no-one that can.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: sailor[/cite]
    I really don't like endless journey, just too clever and never a football song.[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted by: windscreen[/cite]
    It wasnt written as a terrace song....but like yourself I hate it too, worst thing I ever done![/quote]
    I thought it was shite too but I never said so in case I hurt your feelings...[/quote]

LOL RedZed...I'm not afraid to say songs are shite, and neither should you be...I've earnt enough money from people who do like my stuff not to worry about who doesnt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Everyone should sit down at all times not sing at all, in fact we should all stay at home & watch football on telly instead.

The main reason I go to actual live games is the actual atmostphere, people who watch it on telly really are missing out.

Can't Smoke, Cant' Stand, can't swear, can't sing...anything else?[/quote]

Like it Ketters
  • Options
    we sent the palace down was done to death and was always going to lead to them having the last laugh
  • Options
    The problem is that the more fuss that is made over that song, the more likely fans will continue to sing it. I agree with comments about it and apart from being offensive it's so stale. Like I said, they are only singing it to wind complainers up now.
  • Options
    Exactly, muttley, exactly...
  • Options
    FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i tend to find i hate songs that go "no one likes us"

other than that get a f**king life.
  • Options
    Iv'e just come up with a great idea!

Look at it this way, the only people that sing are right at the back of the north, the rest of the north and the east stand might join in with "Red Army" or "Cafc cafc ca" ect...

So anyway, all you lot that sit away from where the atmosphere is made, why not start your own songs, singing section ect!! Im sure the J block ect would love to join in.
  • Options
    FORZA.
    Are you mental?

OH SOUTH LONDON has been sung for years and years by our fans.
    Why on earth stop singing it?
    Because it upsets you?
    Aww poor Forzeybaby.

Get a grip pal. Saying that you dont want to hear it is just stupid.
    The song will be sung long after you have stopped going to games.

* Note to self , start "OH SOUTH LONDON" at least 5 times at the next home game*
  • Options
    Alright easy, be my guest if you wanna start it 5 times hell make it 10, it doesn't bother me THAT much all I've stated is that it's not one of my favourite songs and yeah preferably maybe I wouldn't want it sung but it's nowhere near as bad as the incest song which actually does piss me off.
  • Options
    I thought it was 'CHIPS, Fanny and Charlton' oh well live n learn!!
  • Options
    I thought it was 'Ship, Shipperley and Charlton.'.........and all about our old giant centrehalf Dave Shipperley.

Then again there's only 5 Charlton supporters still alive who remember big Dave.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortuanately I'm one of the Five!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Unfortuanately I'm one of the Five!!!

lol ...and me, Len Glover, Badger and Lancashire Hotpot.
  • Options
    My young son will for instance ask -"what are they singing Daddy" and I will reply "Sheep Shearers. because they do a lot of that in teheir part of the world". I have spend a fair bit of time cleaning up some of the songs. I don't really have a problem with my son hearing swear words - I just ask him not to use them which he sticks to. If you try to hide swearing from kids it becomes more exotic to them.
  • Options
    Note to self........Start Incest song 10 times next game ;)
    Cheer up you all moan tooooo much.......If you dont like the songs or chants then move over to the East or West stands, Get out your book and read it for 90 mins like the rest.....

Beats singing MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLL for 90 mins!
  • Options
    The silly C . H. A. R. L. T. O. N. song that sounds like a 14 year old American cheerleading team. Embarrassing.
  • Options
    I thought it was 'skips, trannies and Charlton'.
  • Options
    Does it matter who sings what? I'd love to sit in the upper north every home game and sing my heart out, but I'm stuck in the West..I still sing, but it's not as much fun on your own.
  • Options
    and people wonder why the valley is passionless and quiet back in the good old days of the nth stand it used to be block e and f singing their bollox off now it is full of people who say dont sing that dont do this

i wish you would all f off somewhere else
  • Options
    The we all follow the Charlton song should be banned as its sung to the tune of Land of hope and glory and this may offended.
    Build a confire should be banned as people could get hurt in a fire
    The famous Tottenham hotspur went to Rome to see the p*pe should be banned as it offends Catholics
    We are the Charltons boys violent song ban it
    Again Get into them f**k em up promotes violence and should be banned
  • Options
    Being born under the covered end is blasphamy

as is away in a manger no crib for a bed
    the little lord jesus popped his head up and said

WE hate Palace and we hate palace

i wish that those now when we are getting the number of fans through the gate in div 3 that we could have only wished for in the old barclays 1st division madfe as much noise as us few back then the place would be a terrific atmospheric stadium

the C A F C chant makes us sound like pussies but the song is being sung in support of my team and therefore although i wont sing it i wont tell people to stop far from it

sing your effing heads off and be proud and sing it

we had a small band of gobby nthners giving it to us this wknd just gone nly about 150 or so singing but absolutley out sung 13k of home fans

that was more embarressing than anything