Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carphone Warehouse B*tch

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]Air contains moisture.
    When air is heated, moisture will condense on the nearest colder surface (the bathroom window effect).
    The Iphone coldest surface is the inside of the screen.

Close, but not right. When air is heated, the amount of moisture it can contain is increased. When this warm air contacts a cold surface, any excess moisture will condense. But the excess moisture still has to come from somewhere. The heating of the air increases its capacity to hold moisture ... it doesn't create extra moisture to match this increased capacity.
  • Options
    I would:

a) get this womans name and make a complaint against her
    b) tell the store you're going to take this further if something isn't done
    c) speak to local/national press
    d) contact Watchdog
    e) see if the Apple store will replace it. Although if they've already said CPW have to then they probably won't
    f) email the CPW founder as the guy above said
  • Options
    Perhaps you're right.
    I did have the phone in the kitchen when some pasta was being boiled????
    Maybe the moisture got in then?

However the moisture got in, that wasn't really the point as the phone hadn't been working properly before I noticed the condensation. When I went to the store I barely mentioned that part, I was more interested in explaining the battery only lasted a few hours even on standby and it kept turning itself off with an irritating beep every few minutes that couldn't be silenced.
  • Options
    Marco - i've got an iphone and i've had it on the worktop when cooking and in the bathroom when having a shower and it's fine almost 2 years later. You've got a dud and we all know it.
  • Options
    HigHig
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]Perhaps you're right.
    I did have the phone in the kitchen when some pasta was being boiled????
    Maybe the moisture got in then?

However the moisture got in, that wasn't really the point as the phone hadn't been working properly before I noticed the condensation. When I went to the store I barely mentioned that part, I was more interested in explaining the battery only lasted a few hours even on standby and it kept turning itself off with an irritating beep every few minutes that couldn't be silenced.

No, I've got an iPhone 4, it's been in the kitchen cooking and even on the bathroom side whilst having a shower with no problems. The only time you should have this condensation problem on a normal phone is if you physically submerged it in water. Your phones definitely a lemon and I hope you can sort it.
  • Options
    yup- I know it.
    We all know it.
    She knew it.
    My present iphone has been out in the snow taking pictures without any problems etc etc
    I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I just want the phone I paid for to work and if not, a replacement ASAP.

I shall be mailing the head of CPW when I've got my head around what I want to say
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]Ok, so last week I finally upgraded my old iPhone to a new iPhone 4.
    (snip)

Phew - that saved me a long read!

:o)

Seriously - unfortunately, you don't have a leg to stand on. 'Water Damage' is indeed easy to 'prove' - each phone has a tiny bit of white paper that reacts and turns pink when water gets inside it. It's used as a get-out by all mobile phone companies when they don't want to return your phone - for months one particular model of Blackberry used to regularly end up back in our office at work with a similar fault to the one you described until 'miraculously' it never happened again. I suspect there was a faulty seal somewhere inside the device and a whole batch of them got sent out with the faulty part before quietly getting replaced in the factory (though of course I can't 'prove' this, as the old 'water damage' ploy was used each time)

Chalk it up to bad experience - the bitch in the shop probably delights in doing it as they more than likely have a chart of failed warranty returns that they successfully turn away.

Oh - and switch to an HTC Desire :o)
  • Options
    Have you tried going back to any of the stores who accepted your complaint and talking to them about what has happened?

Then ask why they didn't make a note on your account they had no stock and referred you to another store so that you didn't have to explain everything from scratch each time.
  • Options
    Go to an Apple Store, tell them obviously you got it at a CPW so you're not expecting them to replace it, but tell them the CPW warehouse are being awkward. Get one of their experts to test it for this so called water damage and tell you what they think the problem with the phone is (take notes if you have to). Then go back to the store get this womans name, then either ring the CPW head office or email the CPW owner and reel off the info that Apple gave you, and explain that if they don't give you a new phone you will be taking the matter further, contacting the papers and Watchdog etc etc.
    Any sane person at CPW will get you a replacement phone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]Ok, so last week I finally upgraded my old iPhone to a new iPhone 4.
    (snip)

Phew - that saved me a long read!

:o)

Seriously - unfortunately, you don't have a leg to stand on. 'Water Damage' is indeed easy to 'prove' - each phone has a tiny bit of white paper that reacts and turns pink when water gets inside it. It's used as a get-out by all mobile phone companies when they don't want to return your phone - for months one particular model of Blackberry used to regularly end up back in our office at work with a similar fault to the one you described until 'miraculously' it never happened again. I suspect there was a faulty seal somewhere inside the device and a whole batch of them got sent out with the faulty part before quietly getting replaced in the factory (though of course I can't 'prove' this, as the old 'water damage' ploy was used each time)

Chalk it up to bad experience - the bitch in the shop probably delights in doing it as they more than likely have a chart of failed warranty returns that they successfully turn away.

Oh - and switch to an HTC Desire :o)

I so nearly got a Desire.
    My partner has one & I've messed around on it.
    Seems quite good but I just thought it'd be easier to plug in a new iPhone and instantly have all my old contacts, music, videos, pictures etc.
    Nothing against the Desire, it's a good phone. I just thought I'd make things simpler for myself.

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Marco, why didn't Apple swap it out when you went? They usually won't give a toss where you got it from
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]yup- I know it.
    We all know it.
    She knew it.
    My present iphone has been out in the snow taking pictures without any problems etc etc
    I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I just want the phone I paid for to work and if not, a replacement ASAP.

I shall be mailing the head of CPW when I've got my head around what I want to say[/quote]

If you have a google browser there is a thing on it called side wicki, using this you can leave comments and you could put your whole sorry story on it against the Carphone warehouse and apple websites.

Whatever you do on this do not let it go for two reasons - 1, they are just plain wrong and 2. They have placed on their system that you are a liar (maybe not in so many words) and you should want to have this removed, there are some companies that share this information and therefore for all you know your repuitation is being trashed by this woman all over the country.

I don't understand her beef, consumer electrical products have a high failure rate, all retailers do is collect them up and return them to the suppliers who replace, taking this back would have been no skin off CWP's nose.
  • Options
    I am surprised Apple didn't swap it out, I had a 6 month work placement at Regents Street Apple, and even a couple of tourists who had the iphone were able to swap it out as they had some problems with it. But seriously all big companies who try to squash people get the jitters if you threaten with press or going above their head, as we all know, the customer is always right! Just keep plugging away and maybe they'll hook you up with a free itunes voucher for all your hassle too :)
  • Options
    Rothko - it's probably down to me not really pressing it.
    I didn't really imagine they'd swap it over when it had been bought elsewhere.
    REALLY wish I'd made more of an attempt to tie the kid down now as he was off dealing with someone else swiftly after telling me it was a dud.
  • Options
    Go to the apple store in regents street- it's the flagship store.
    They will replace it I reckon and then just don't go into carphone warehouse again- advise people the same.
  • Options
    The Apple Store will swap any iPhone under warranty, your manufacturers warranty is with Apple.

I took my iPhone 3g back a few weeks ago (plastic case was cracked, common fault) and she looked at it with a little torch, said "there's possible water damage I'll have to check it" knowing full well there wasn't water damage I almost laughed, she did some further 'testing' out the back and came back with a brand new iphone.

These water damage things in the iPhone are not 100% and people have only just started to take notice of them, chances are she was trying to show off she knew what one was.

You have a 14 day exchange policy http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/dm/apple-iphone/terms go in exchange it for a Samsung Galaxy S and pocket some money back...

OR book an appointment with a 'genius' at the Apple store, explain the situation and they will exchange it.
  • Options
    Just book it in Marco, you'll have a new phone by the time you'll leave
  • Options
    the apple store in regent street is really the best bet. i have broken two ipods and they have swapped both for brand new ones. like someone else said your warranty is with them and they should replace it straightaway. you could try calling the store and talking to someone there to make sure.
    sorry about your phone marco. carphone warehouse have tried shafting me before, charging twice as much for the same model of phone i then brought from the vodofone shop instead.
    hope it gets sorted.
  • Options
    Try here http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/ select you're nearest store, and book into the Genius bar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers everyone
  • Options
    I spilled water through the speaker plug on this I phone, turned it off and left it to dry and now it's fine!
  • Options
    dont get the galaxy get the desire i have put all my music on it and it peees all over the iphones in my office
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]dont get the galaxy get the desire i have put all my music on it and it peees all over the iphones in my office

What would that show on their litmus papers then?
  • Options
    bright Blue i reckon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Marco, why didn't Apple swap it out when you went? They usually won't give a toss where you got it from

They do unfortunately. Mine is an Apple 16gb bought in Australia where they come factory unlocked as standard and my Mrs version is the older 8gb Italian, again where they come from Apple factory unlocked. Unfortunatley the warranty lies in both our cases with Apple Australia and Apple Italy, Ive checked this in several Apple shops including Bluewater. They will do minor tweaks such as mine was running out of power very quickly and they hooked it up to a laptop and did some adjustments, but as far as swapping out/replacements they will only do this in the country of origin which for such a great bit of kit and an awesome supplier is pretty poor.