Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fortune on brink of Valley deal

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think Oggy's assesment is totally right. Fortune has the ability to be both but isn't.

He clearly is a reactive person, and thus when he had to man mark someone and it became a physical battle he was excellent. Unfortunately when he didn't have that he was rubbish with Bougher off, HH, El Kak and to some degree Hudson. Fortunately both Dailly and Doc are agressive and correct positionally. If Fortune has to organise we're all screwed.
  • Options
    Guess Fortune may get a chance against the Daggers in the JP, will be good to see him back in a cafc shirt and a good chance to see whether Fortune is going to be good enough for League 1 football.
  • Options
    Why's he not "fit"

I assume he's been training hard every day for the last 2 months and has had a few games as well. It's his job to be "fit"
  • Options
    Why's he not "fit"

I assume he's been training hard every day for the last 2 months and has had a few games as well. It's his job to be "fit"
  • Options
    They're talking about him getting match fit and staying injury free I'd imagine.
  • Options
    He's barely played for a coupe of years and we would need to be 100% sure he is up to it.

If he's fit he'd be a great acquisition BUT he needs to be fit
  • Options
    As long as he is fit enough, he'll be a real asset at this level. We know he has done it at Premiership and Championship level and that experience, like Doherty and Dailly's will prove invaluable at this level. What's more, he has plenty of year's ahead of him.

JPT and the bench to start with if he signs, but Dailly's recent ban was a real shower in terms of our lack of squad strength. Llera is OK, but would start with a fit Fortune every time.

Just wish he'd have a Shearer to mark every week, because boy did he know how to give that handful a good game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Why's he not "fit"

I doubt if it is just a simple case of the player not putting in the effort to be a 100% fit after a full pre-season.

He should be a decent player at Championship level, with several seasons of Prem experience where he did well against top names - yet Sheff Utd didn't seem to hesitate in letting him go.

There's not been much interest in other clubs wanting to sign an experienced established player who should be in his prime right now. So why not?

I read between the lines on the OS that there's perhaps a question mark regarding his recovery from that serious ruptured achilles injury he suffered in that Palace game 18 months ago.

Maybe he hasn't quite recovered the mobility and pace that was always a trademark part of his game?

Is this why Parky said last week that Fortune was unlikely to be signed - yet this week with the window soon closing and unlikely to get maybe a first choice CB target in on time, they've turned to Forch as a known quantity and character......but with the proviso that he goes out on loan to get matches under his belt and to prove his fitness?

Forch won't have earned any football wages since 30 June, so he'll be anxious to get a deal, any deal, bearing in mind no other club seems to have offered him anything?

Maybe it's that or the scrap heap. But he's well liked at Charlton, knows the club inside out after many years service - and this way both parties can see if they can come up with a win-win situation?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oggy you're quite right as usual - I've added some Wiki stuff re his recent injuries :-

Also, if you look at his appearances at the bottom,he's hardly played since he left us

Fortune joined Sheffield United on trial, and featured in a 3–0 friendly win at Bury in July 2009.[9] After overcoming a knee injury he signed a short term for the Blades in September of that year.[10] Signed as first team cover, Fortune had to wait until early November to make his début in Blades colours in an away match at Barnsley.[11] Despite being dogged by further injuries Fortune signed an extension on his contract with Sheffield United during the January transfer window, keeping him at Bramall Lane until the end of the 2009–10 season.[12] He rewarded the Blades' faith in him by scoring his first goal for the club in the very next league game, a 3-0 home win against Reading.

1998–2009 Charlton Athletic 166 (6)
    2000 → Mansfield Town (loan) 4 (0)
    2000 → Mansfield Town (loan) 14 (0)
    2007 → Stoke City (loan) 4 (0)
    2007 → Stoke City (loan) 10 (1)
    2009–2010 Sheffield United 5 (1)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Oggy, about 3k of us have seen Fry play...

... For gills v us.

He was brilliant or at least our strikers had no chances in that game. That could be cos our strikers were crap though : - )
    Must have been a CB, because they had the hilariously named Nutter at left back who kindly scored an OG, which was the only way we were troubling the net that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Fortune would be immense for us in league one. What an excellent defence. Who to drop out of the three though...
  • Options
    After it was made public Pardew will probably offer him 20,000 a week, to stop us signing him