Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This time last year

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
On the 29th of August 2009 we had just beaten Tranmere 4-0 for our 5th straight win. I have just been reading the match report on the os and by all accounts absolutely trounced them. Do people think we are better equiped for an attack on the championship this year than we was last year? I have read on a few threads that some do, Last year we were still unbeaten up to this point I still recall all the negativity on lots of the threads and could never understand why. It seems there are far to many doom and gloom mongers amongst us, people just waiting for it to go wrong or a player to make a mistake so they can say "i told you so". This season aint started quite so well but thats no reason why it cant end up better. Everyone needs to get behind the team and support them, make some positive noise not the mumbling and moaning that so often gets heard at the Valley. Yes you pay your money and are entitled to moan but you also have a big part you can play in the success Of Charlton Football Club if you choose to take it. Lets start backing them even against Dagenhan in the jpt, let them know everyone is behind them. I know for a fact it makes a difference.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Well said.

Start of last season was similar in many ways. We got away with a few results and werent overly convincing. This time round we have had to visit definite promotion contenders.

Personally dont see much difference between the team this year and last. The squad isnt as strong but the starting XI is. We'll get a couple in to sort that out.

As said on the post match views thread I'd get Jackson into centre mid asap. Easily done by getting Fry in. Hopefully, we'll try it on Tuesday.

Ultimately I can see Reidy on the right qnd jackson on the left with Wagstaff dropping out.

Personally think we will be there or there abouts come May.
  • Top post, unc. I can envisage Parky playing more of the "first team" than he'd like on Tues night in an endeavour to find his best starting eleven for Exeter and beyond. Fry must surely start with Jacko in midfield as Clem said. I'd also bring Solly back instead of Francis- the latter has failed to impress me apart from a couple of excellent passes at Orient. Waggy from the bench seems to me a decent option too if need be.

Hoping to see a much improved performance than the faithful 405 at the Galpharm witnessed yesterday. Everyone involved needs to show that was just a one off/bad day at the office.
  • Good post mate, we need more like you.

I think we need to be patient, this has the makings of a good team, it just needs some finishing touches and time
  • edited August 2010
    Bloody West Ham fans coming on here telling us how to behave ;-)

Good post Unc. How's Jonjo doing? How about a post on how he is getting on up there.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]On the 29th of August 2009 we had just beaten Tranmere 4-0 for our 5th straight win. I have just been reading the match report on the os and by all accounts absolutely trounced them. Do people think we are better equiped for an attack on the championship this year than we was last year? I have read on a few threads that some do, Last year we were still unbeaten up to this point I still recall all the negativity on lots of the threads and could never understand why.
    Years of following Charlton brings you down to earth with a big bump and last season was noexception,although having seen Hartlepool,Wycombe and Brentford at first hand 3 out of the first 6 games still something was missing but six wins is six wins.
    The squad this season is weaker than last season and although we have some very good young players coming on it
    still requires players with experience and the legs to get Charlton out of this division.We all know at the moment we require a good front man who can find the net for fun.Until this happens we will have to put up with a run of the mill season.
  • I think we are much less equipped this year and have lowered my expectations accordingly. It is a new team which will take a lot of time to gel.

As i posted on another thread the way Millwall were under the radar for the first part of the season probably benefited them as there was little pressure and expectation of promotion. When we got off to a stormer in the opening 6 last year I think we then became "the team to beat" along with Leeds and we both had blips and nervy patches which saw us drop, Leeds only managing to get it together at the last minute. In fact on the last (or penultimate) game of the season we were actually automatically promoted for about 15 minutes due to the results in the other games, such was the tightrope at the top at the tail end of last seaon.

Whilst I think we are less equipped for promotion and think it is our weakest squad on paper for many years I actually feel more behind the team and manager this season than before.

I think those who are being "negative" are possibly just being " obviously realistic".

I would just like to see our players battle and give it their all in every game even if it isnt always the prettiest and doesnt always result in a win. Thats' what Millwall did last year and it turned out ok for them in may.

I think our support needs to be like away at orient at every game and realise that we are going to struggle but we need to get behind them and not boo at all this season. The manager is here for the season and the squad isnt going to look much different over the next 9 months so we need to accept what we have and get behind them.
  • edited August 2010
    i agree with you about getting behind the team,of course you do. but if you can't have a grumble and a moan on a forum,well what's the point? sometimes it's very difficult just to keep quiet when you can see that things are clearly wrong.
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]We got away with a few results and werent overly convincing.

no one really wants to dig the club out but those that did speak out were suitably chastised from those that just hadn't taken their charlton blinkers off and looking back our first 5 games were wycombe (22), Hartlepool (20), orient (17), walsall (10), tranmere (19), how many points wound you expect from the relegation candidates?

i didn't think the moaners were that bad really last year compared to those that got carried away with themselves and thought everything was all rosy,it was good to have them striking a balance.

this year will still be tough despite the league itself being a lot weaker and i fancy that everyone this season is thoroughly behind the team and management.

coyr!
  • Totally agree with that Threadkiller. I was a very big moaner last season. Although Im still not happy/confident in the board and the management I have accepted the situation we are in and have realise than complaining and being bitter about it is just futile. Ive decided that even if i am kidding myself id rather spend the next 9 months shrugging my shoulders and just getting on with it.

We are in a tough period at the club now and weaker on the pitch than i can remember for a long time and now that my expectations are lower than before as long as the team play with comittment and dont bottle it like the millwall games last season ill be happy with them.
  • Following our sixth successive league victory I suggested that the teams we beat might well be the shite teams of the league and that we weren't as good as some may think we are...

Of course the rose tinted spectacle brigade tore into me but history shows I was not far wrong with my theory..

Wycombe - Relegated
    Hartlepool - Avoided relegation on goal difference
    Orient - Avoided relegation by one point
    Walsall - finished 9th
    Tranmere - Avoided relegation by one point
    Brentford- finished 10th

Teamwise I don't think Charlton have improved much further than last season, in fact we're probably weaker and therefore we're going to see much of the same as last year and it's got nothing to do with fans 'getting behind the lads' or 'not booing', the team has found its level of ability and influence on this league and unless we get some better players we all need to at least prepare for a frustrating season...
  • well said hamster
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Bloody West Ham fans coming on here telling us how to behave ;-)

Good post Unc. How's Jonjo doing? How about a post on how he is getting on up there.

He's playing for England U19 on thursday in Crewe. I'm going up there so will let you know how it goes.
  • If anyone wants to compare where we were last season at this point and think we are doing worse then they can also compare where Norwich were at this point last season. Things worked out well enough for them, making a good start is important, having a good finish to the season is even better. So far so good, two wins (with ten men) and a draw against a form team and a loss against a side expected to challenge for automatic promotion is not a disastrous start.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Following our sixth successive league victory I suggested that the teams we beat might well be the shite teams of the league and that we weren't as good as some may think we are...

Of course the rose tinted spectacle brigade tore into me but history shows I was not far wrong with my theory..

Wycombe - Relegated
    Hartlepool - Avoided relegation on goal difference
    Orient - Avoided relegation by one point
    Walsall - finished 9th
    Tranmere - Avoided relegation by one point
    Brentford- finished 10th

Teamwise I don't think Charlton have improved much further than last season, in fact we're probably weaker and therefore we're going to see much of the same as last year and it's got nothing to do with fans 'getting behind the lads' or 'not booing', the team has found its level of ability and influence on this league and unless we get some better players we all need to at least prepare for a frustrating season...

Er, just so I'm clear - only one of those six teams got relegated - right?
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    I think we are less equipped for promotion and think it is our weakest squad on paper for many years I actually feel more behind the team and manager this season than before.

Feel the same way, RCT. There's a sense of honest toil about this team that I rather like. In fact, I'd rather this bunch of players than last year's ostensibly more talented lot. The improved spirit in this side isn't going to be enough to get us through, even when allied to honest toil. But it's a very good place to start building.
  • We appear to be better balanced this season, and I think that there is an element this season of "the sum of the parts is greater",this season we are only one point behind the same fixtures last season. We may not have the highs of last season e.g. six wins on the trot, but the better balance may give fewer lows, such as the long post christmas break.