Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP - Charlton complete triple swoop- Benson, Anyinsah....and Jon Fortune

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great deal for both parties. He's cheap and will be keen to get a longer deal. If he gets up to speed quickly, could be a real bargain.
  • Options
    Says on the OS that Fortune may go on loan for a month to get up to speed. Would think it will be a League 2 side.

Also a pity he is not registered in time for tomorrow, the JP would be a good opportunity for Fortune to get 90mins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]A very good days work in the transfer market for us.
    I know Fortune has been training with us but when did he last play a competitive match?

He made 5 appearances for Sheff U last season.

Fortune joined Sheffield United on trial, and featured in a 3–0 friendly win at Bury in July 2009.[9] After overcoming a knee injury he signed a short term for the Blades in September of that year.[10] Signed as first team cover, Fortune had to wait until early November to make his début in Blades colours in an away match at Barnsley.[11] Despite being dogged by further injuries Fortune signed an extension on his contract with Sheffield United during the January transfer window, keeping him at Bramall Lane until the end of the 2009–10 season.[12] He rewarded the Blades' faith in him by scoring his first goal for the club in the very next league game, a 3-0 home win against Reading.[13]
  • Options
    Fortune to Mansfield again - he did well there!

Good days trading tbh. Anyinsah sound a lot like Kyel Reid so our attacking options could be pretty good with Abbot and Benno up top

Martin and/or Waggy will allow us to change shape from flat 442 to a 4141 or an all out 433

Fortune - if he gets up to speed quickly- could be one of if not the best defender in this division and can also play right back If Francis loses form or gets injured
    Solly can play anywhere on the right too

Now we have a good sized squad and hopefully plenty of options
  • Options
    Francis will have to find some form before he can lose it :-)
  • Options
    A quick look around Anyinsah's previous clubs' forums are saying that he's an ok squad player at best and that it confirms us as out of the title race! I think that's a bit harsh as surely he is signed as a squad player and not a starter. To be fair, Martin and probably Waggy too are in front of him and so he would be a late on impact player and would be a good one at that. To be honest, I'd say Sodje is our weakest player and to be fair he would start for many League 1 sides surely so I think that confirms we have a good squad.

Benson's been talked about to the death but I'm pleased we got someone in. Unfortunately he's going to have to come up with the goods quickly due to his age to be a hit but hopefully he can. He certainly knows where the goal is and for everyone who's said he doesn't offer anything else, well that's fine by me.

Fortune - brilliant, glad he's come home and hope he signs for longer.
  • Options
    making 2 + 2 = 5 but fortune to Dagenham?
  • Options
    I'm a tad concerned that Fortune only has a four month contract - why is that? Injury concerns or is that all we can afford?
  • Options
    reading the article on the OS he is clearly not fully fit, hence the short deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]reading the article on the OS he is clearly not fully fit, hence the short deal.

Thanks Henners.

Benson's signing could be intriguing, his career has never hit the heights, but you should never give up on a good thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably both , if he can get fit and play as we know he can play he will be an incredible signing , if he's constantly struggling for fitness , and he's on his way out of the game then .....
  • Options
    Without regular football in over a season, and his injury with us, he's probably lost that bit of fitness, sharpness etc and maybe a bit of pace. We'll see if he can get those back and if he can he'll be a very good player at this level.
  • Options
    The short deal for Fortune is best for both club and player. We don't commit to paying wages for too long and he gets the chance to impress us or others and earn a new deal/free transfer in January. He provides cover for a number of positions (even CF in a crisis...or allows Doc to go up front while he fills in at the back). I also reckon he could cover ANY position across the back line and knows how to play in as a 3rd CH if we need to change the system. If he gets a chance and plays well, he could well find himself first choice in any number of positions. Good signing as long as we can afford him!
  • Options
    I would say Jon is most likely to be loaned to D&R, Orient or Gillingham
  • Options
    the problem being that if he does become the player we know he can be again, he'll bugger off in january to play at a higher level and we'll have lost a player of definite championship and potentially premiership quality! il be disappointed if he does turn out to be an inspired signing and then leaves in jan to miss the second half of our season (when we always fade away)... i guess we'll see
  • Options
    According to the OS site Jon's registration did not make it in time for eligability for the JPT!...... What is agreed is that after returning from a serious injury he needs games, hence the speculation that he will be loaned out, and is there for back up cover!. I hope it works out for Jon, but I am unsure due to the weeks that he has been back and the last minute scramble seems strange!. It seems to look like one of those deals that looks good on paper, but is more of a gamble than perhaps we know!, which is very little in truth!. Personally speaking unless there was more than a even chance of him regaining full fitness I would have not signed him, despite the fact that he is very well regarded!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]According to the OS site Jon's registration did not make it in time for eligability for the JPT!...... What is agreed is that after returning from a serious injury he needs games, hence the speculation that he will be loaned out, and is there for back up cover!. I hope it works out for Jon, but I am unsure due to the weeks that he has been back and the last minute scramble seems strange!. It seems to look like one of those deals that looks good on paper, but is more of a gamble than perhaps we know!, which is very little in truth!. Personally speaking unless there was more than a even chance of him regaining full fitness I would have not signed him, despite the fact that he is very well regarded!

If Edgar Davids can turn up to Palace after not playing for 2 years and play twice in a week i'm sure Fortune can get himself fit soon enough seeing that he's younger and has been around in pre-season and played some friendlies.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]According to the OS site Jon's registration did not make it in time for eligability for the JPT!...... What is agreed is that after returning from a serious injury he needs games, hence the speculation that he will be loaned out, and is there for back up cover!. I hope it works out for Jon, but I am unsure due to the weeks that he has been back and the last minute scramble seems strange!. It seems to look like one of those deals that looks good on paper, but is more of a gamble than perhaps we know!, which is very little in truth!. Personally speaking unless there was more than a even chance of him regaining full fitness I would have not signed him, despite the fact that he is very well regarded![/quote]

If Edgar Davids can turn up to Palace after not playing for 2 years and play twice in a week i'm sure Fortune can get himself fit soon enough seeing that he's younger and has been around in pre-season and played some friendlies.[/quote]

The difference being that for the first half of that period Fortune was recovering from a serious injury and it does not appear that his recovery was sufficient for hom to get a decent deal at Sheffield
  • Options
    If Edgar Davids can turn up to Palace after not playing for 2 years and play twice in a week i'm sure Fortune can get himself fit soon enough seeing that he's younger and has been around in pre-season and played some friendlies.[/quote] Chris from Sidcup......

I could retort, that why has he not been signed on a one year contract then Chris!. A fit Jon Forune would be a snatch at this level, a good solid player capable of playing not only at the level but in the Championship as well, no issues with his ability or commitment, and apparently a popular player, to fans and to the club. As Jon has been training with us for a considerable time, certainly pre Welling, I am surprissed that his registration was not in on time to play tommorow, if he 'needs games'..... I wish him 100 per cent well, and hope that he is able to regain 90 per cent of his ability, which should be more than sufficient for this leagu

Frankly I could never see the sense in releasing him, like Chris Perry, and Chris Powell, I was told they were 'surplus' to our requirements at the time!.

The Charlton rest home for injured players is great in theory, if they pay there way! ( Former resident Todorov )

The David's 'PR stunt' is more about spin and cheap headlines than a player once heralded a top player.
  • Options
    Fortune only left us last year and took the chance that he'd get games at Sheff Utd. He even played in a few friendlies last summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a division where you have to proverbialy "knock on the door". We haven't been doing that enough in the last couple of games and hopefully these signings can positively change the dynamic. A win on Saturday and we will still have had a great start so let's hope they work for Parky.
  • Options
    I think Fortune will owe us some loyalty - at lease for the rest of the season as nobody else has offered him anything.