Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our squad

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Good balance to it now with at least two options in every position

GK Elliot, Worner

RB Francis, Solly
CB Dailly, Doherty, Llera, Fortune?
LB Jackson (LB/CM/LM), Fry (CB/LB) (plus injured Youga)

RM Wagstaff, Anyinsah (RM/ST)
CM Semedo, McCormack, Racon (Jackson)
LM Reid (Martin, Jackson)

ST Abbott, Benson, Martin (RM/LM/ST), Sodje

Plus Mambo, Jenkinson, Cousins, Stavrinou, Tuna, Perkins

Martin obviously more attacking midfield than striker.

Compare our strikers to this time last year it should be an improvement. We had Burton, McLeod, Dickson and McKenzie. Then Dickson went on loan and McKenzie got injured so we added Mooney and Sodje.

Last year we had Bailey and later Shelvey & Wagstaff as options down the left. Luke Holden never got a chance or didn't turn out to be good enough.

Comments

• This is freaky, I was doing this just as you posted it lool.

Great minds think alike ;-)
  • Really happy and if/when Fortune signs will be even happier! Didn't have a clue about Anyinsah training with us so that is out of the blue but iv'e heard good things about him and as a freebie i'm not complaining. Gives us another option down the wing. Benson has got me excited, we haven't had a "goalscorer" down here since bent so it would be great if he scored 20+ goals this season. Yes it is a bit of a punt, but most signings are? As i said a couple of days ago i do think we need one more striker. Never been too impressed with Tuna and haven't seen Perkins play so if i was Parky i would be looking out for perhaps a Prem youngster or a unhappy/wants first team footy championship striker and get them in. That would give us four to play with up front.
  • So where should we be finishing with this squad? We should be able to make the play-offs but I'm not convinced we can seriously challenge for the top 2. We do need to start creating more chances but hopefully that will come with games and now we have more competition for places and options to change things around.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Really happy and if/when Fortune signs will be even happier! Didn't have a clue about Anyinsah training with us so that is out of the blue but iv'e heard good things about him and as a freebie i'm not complaining. Gives us another option down the wing. Benson has got me excited, we haven't had a "goalscorer" down here since bent so it would be great if he scored 20+ goals this season. Yes it is a bit of a punt, but most signings are? As i said a couple of days ago i do think we need one more striker. Never been too impressed with Tuna and haven't seen Perkins play so if i was Parky i would be looking out for perhaps a Prem youngster or a unhappy/wants first team footy championship striker and get them in. That would give us four to play with up front.

Abbott, Benson & Sodje with the possibility of playing Martin and Anyinsah up top is more than enough in my opinion. We'll see though.
  • Now Southampton have sacked Pardew, they will be Champions and Wednesday also look very strong. Not sure we can compete with these two teams over 46 games, however the Play offs should be a realistic target. Peterboro will be up there with all the goals they have in the side whilst Huddersfield imho will replicate last season and get into the top 6. Aside from the 4 teams mentioned, I think the other possible play off spots are up for grabs for a number of sides, there is usually a surprise team like Swindon last season but with the squad we have, if everyone can stay fit and the better players find some consistency, the season will be a huge disappointment if we are not up there in May.

Pleased we have 3 strikers who are all our own (not loans) and should do well in this league as well as Martin and Anyinsah who can play there, there is also Tuna who may play a role in the New Year when/if he comes back from a loan. Also happy we pretty much have 2 players per position and that the players who have started every game at last have some competition- Wagstaff has been inconsistent and now has Anyinsah to challenge him whilst Abbott needs to start scoring as Benson and Sodje will be knocking on the door.

Early Days but at last our squad is looking a bit fuller and the bench on Saturday should be fairly strong.
  • edited August 2010
    Can't say I'm not pleased with the squad now but if I am brutally honest I think we really do lack a genuine playmaker. Thought Racon could do it but I I genuinely don't think he can. I think the lack of that pivot in midfield is a real block to our creativity and ability to make enough chances.
  • I think Jackson could pull the strings if played centre mid but seems unlikely, think Semedo and Mccormack are nailed on for the foreseeable