Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

re the changes to sky sports news

been on my hols and realised ssn is no longer on freeview and the version on sky has a new format that loses most of the info down either side...apologies if this has already been discussed but i cant see any mention of it...anyway, i've tried different viewing/screen format options on my tv's and cant get the picture to adjust so that all the info can be seen...somebody i know with virgin cable has the same problem...no matter that i think taking ssn off freeview is a major own goal - i just switched to bbc's channel 301 on freeview on saturday and followed us lose on that, surely sky cant be that daft that it's broadcasting the football scores in a way that they cant be seen, can they ?...anybody know how to fix it or is it a ploy to make us all switch to HD, which i've yet to do ?

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]been on my hols and realised ssn is no longer on freeview and the version on sky has a new format that loses most of the info down either side...apologies if this has already been discussed but i cant see any mention of it...anyway, i've tried different viewing/screen format options on my tv's and cant get the picture to adjust so that all the info can be seen...somebody i know with virgin cable has the same problem...no matter that i think taking ssn off freeview is a major own goal - i just switched to bbc's channel 301 on freeview on saturday and followed us lose on that, surely sky cant be that daft that it's broadcasting the football scores in a way that they cant be seen, can they ?...anybody know how to fix it or is it a ploy to make us all switch to HD, which i've yet to do ?[/quote]

Its fine on my wiodescreen but not on the portable in the bed room. The decision on freeview is all tied up with the Offcom ruling on sky pricing cheaper to third parties. I have top say I can't see the point of SSN on HD, unless you want a more defined look at georgies freckles and cleavage. But then as an oldie her who used to watch match of the day on analogue 425 lines, I can live without HD.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]been on my hols and realised ssn is no longer on freeview and the version on sky has a new format that loses most of the info down either side...apologies if this has already been discussed but i cant see any mention of it...anyway, i've tried different viewing/screen format options on my tv's and cant get the picture to adjust so that all the info can be seen...somebody i know with virgin cable has the same problem...no matter that i think taking ssn off freeview is a major own goal - i just switched to bbc's channel 301 on freeview on saturday and followed us lose on that, surely sky cant be that daft that it's broadcasting the football scores in a way that they cant be seen, can they ?...anybody know how to fix it or is it a ploy to make us all switch to HD, which i've yet to do ?
    Gonna be a pain for you if you have a non-widescreen tv. You need to change the settings to 'letterbox' on your Sky box (go into the settings, picture menu)
  • Options
    i've got a couple of sony's and a lg and the guy with virgin cable has an lg as well (i think) and none of the options, smart, wide, 16:4, 4:3 etc seems to make a blind bit of difference, though in my case the tv's are all fed from the same box...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]been on my hols and realised ssn is no longer on freeview and the version on sky has a new format that loses most of the info down either side...apologies if this has already been discussed but i cant see any mention of it...anyway, i've tried different viewing/screen format options on my tv's and cant get the picture to adjust so that all the info can be seen...somebody i know with virgin cable has the same problem...no matter that i think taking ssn off freeview is a major own goal - i just switched to bbc's channel 301 on freeview on saturday and followed us lose on that, surely sky cant be that daft that it's broadcasting the football scores in a way that they cant be seen, can they ?...anybody know how to fix it or is it a ploy to make us all switch to HD, which i've yet to do ?[/quote]
    Gonna be a pain for you if you have a non-widescreen tv. You need to change the settings to 'letterbox' on your Sky box (go into the settings, picture menu)[/quote]

thanks leroy, they are all newish lcd wide/flatscreens but given i dont have any problem with any other channel i'm loathe to start messing about with the sky box just for ssn...i guess i'll just have to give up on ssn and try and get into the habit of watching the freeview bbc version until sky gets it act together...
  • Options
    I've had this problem on virgin cable before, I think you might find you are actually loosing the left and right on all channels, it is only SSN where this is particularly evident.

The way I think I resolved this was to change from widescreen/4:3 in the settings options of the cable box...

give it a play and see what happens, easy to change back again.