Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would Love To See This Formation Given A Go

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
[align=center]Elliot

Doherty Fortune Dailly

Reid Semedo Racon Jackson

Martin

Abbott Benson[/align]

plenty of alternative systems with players on the bench

Francis
Llera
Youga (when fit)
Mac
Wagstaff
Akpo
Anyinsah
Solly

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Like it, however I would go with Wagstaff on the right as think he is better defensively than Reid and would act more as a wing back. With Reid there, we would struggle in the full back areas greatly.

Jackson and Waggy as wing backs could work in theory.
  • You've made a mistake - you've left Racon in there and he's poo :-)

Mac over Rac any day for me
  • I still keep thinking he's gonna do something brilliant, maybe thats what Parky thinks too.

Still think this team on paper should batter most teams at home in this league
  • if you played that formation you would need to put somedo defensive mid otherwise it would be to attacking
  • That's the way I believe we should line up gives ultimate flexibility with reads to subs and should enforce forward play
  • On paper that formation looks good but there are reasons teams don't play 5-3-2/3-5-2 any more aren't there? Would be a lot of work for our wide players.

Would be exciting to watch just not convinced it would work as well as it looks.

Not likely to happen since Parky has never started a game with 3 at the back and wouldn't have signed both full backs and wingers.
  • We are not going to play five at the back, it would be a complete re-organisation for the team and we don't need that.

Parky has put together a squad for 4-4-2, that's why he brought in Reid to play wide-left - there is no way that Reid could play as a wing-back.

I am still very worried about the left-back slot, I would bloody love to get Borrowdale back in and then release Jackson into midfield.
  • Reid's wasted on the right imo. He also gets knackered after 60 mins without having to track back at wing back too.

He won't play three at the back.
  • I am not a tactical genius, but I believe 3-5-2 requires pacey centre-backs, which we don't have. Otherwise, it gets exposed too easily. I've seen a team get tonked by far inferior opposition purely because they were playing 3-5-2. They changed it around to 4-4-2 and started beating all comers.

Also, you're expecting a lot of Reid and Jackson. I'd be confident of that workrate from Wagstaff, but not everyone's as fit as he is.
  • I liked the formation we played against Bristol City - while we lost 1-0 due to Nicky Bailey making a rare error, up to that point we looked unplayable.

We played with 2 wingbacks, two wingers (one was Luke Varney) I think Ambrose was in the hole with one striker. bailey and Semedo were in defensive midfield roles. A 4-5-1 but a very attacking one.
  • Sponsored links:

• No one plays wing-backs any more - the players who play wide left/right have too much ground to cover on the flanks.

I can see us going 4-1-3-2
    Elliot
    Francis-Doherty-Dailly-Jackson
    Semedo
    Waggy-Martin-Reid
    --Benson-Abbott--
  • Three at the back went out of fashion because so many teams play one up front and you end up wasting a player by having three centre backs looking after one striker.
  • Modern fullbacks need to cover too much ground to get away with having just one wide player on each side - particularly if you're proposing to have essentially midfielders in those position. As soon as Jacko or Reid were over half way you've got a huge space on either side for the opposition to pop clearances into.
  • No way, centre backs too slow to get away with the lack of cover. We would get annilated by any half-decent winger.
  • Managers don't play it because it's gone out of fashion (not least because of the bad press England got for playing it under McClaren/Venables in Croatia(?))

For it; 1) a creative midfielder with limited defensive responsibilities can still be accommodated behind TWO strikers. 2) Two centre-halves can man-mark the (likely) two centre-forwards and still have a man spare. 3) In theory, you have five in midfield so shouldn't get outnumbered by an opposing 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

Against it; 1) if the opposition have intelligent, ambitious full-backs, then overlaps become a big threat, which means your back three get pulled out of shape. 2) There's a fear of playing it and players (I have sometimes found) like to blame the system rather than give it a chance to develop.

It could work well against a direct team. The extra height at the back would help and in theory there wouldn't be too much threat from the opposition full-backs, because they would be busy humping the ball forward rather than carrying it or running off it. But you have to have the players for it...especially a creative midfielder and intelligent wing-backs with drive and stamina. Sounds obvious, but you do also need another two decent midfielders to make up your midfield 5. To use the current Charlton squad as an example it could be something like;

Goalie

Fortune Dailly Llera

Wagstaff Racon Martin/Jackson Semedo Youga

Forward Forward

But if you thought that Kyle Reid was one of your main threats, you wouldn't leave him out (on the basis that he hasn't got the stamina to play wing back for a whole game) just so you could play 3-5-2. There were times in the Premier League, when we didn't really have a left-winger, so I though we could have played it, using say Konchesky and Luke Young as wing backs and maybe a Di Canio or Jensen behind the front two. We normally had three good centre-halves on the books too. I'd be really interested to see someone try it again, either for us or against us.
  • Would prefer 4-3-3, but a real 4-3-3 as opposed to the 4-5-1 stuff we seem to get:

Elliot

Solly Dailly Doc/Forts Jackson

Racs Semedo Mac

Waggy Abbot/Benson Reid

Could also work as a christmas tree, with Waggy and Reid just slightly behind the front runner, but with their play mostly devoted to attacking.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I am still very worried about the left-back slot, I would bloody love to get Borrowdale back in and then release Jackson into midfield.
    Matt Fry?
  • Our Squad looks to be there for numbers now , I presume it would be Parky's policy of one in one out again in terms of loanees .I think Fry sees himself as more of a left footed CB who plays LB rather than an outright LB. Although Fortune has signed we are talking about loaning him out.

While Jon is away on loan and Youga is still unfit then I would love Borrowdale back , if Robbie is injured I think we need a Keeper also.
  • Wouldn't mind seeing Martin in central midfield with Mac-Martin looks like he can play a bit, so a good balance with a tough tackler.

Don't quite see why Semedo is as highly rated as he is and Racon is our creative midfielder who never creates anything!
  • We'd concede some many goal with that formation it'd be untrue. Myabe in Football Manager, Choice, but not in real life.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]I'd be really interested to see someone try it again, either for us or against us.

Exeter regularly played 3-5-2 last season, as their manager's preferred system..... at least at home.

Was it successful overall? They just managed to escape relegation on the final day by a single point.

But on the other hand, they'd just had 2 successive promotions from the Conference to League One - so the system evidently worked for them, with the combination of players they had.

Without it, they may well have been relegated anyway.
  • Have you ever watched jose play stevietwells?

I am quite shocked at that comment to be honest
  • I suggest reading Inverting the Pyramid, which describes in detail why 3-5-2 is rarely used nowadays.
  • The team looks a bit Championship manager to me. Remember we aren't a "level above" this league so it will be a naive playing our left winger as a right wing back.
  • Also shocked at the Jose comment. Lost out by 1% of votes for player of the year award. Is a fans favourite. It's his attitude, character etc that makes him a fans favourite. Also the fact he is everywhere doing the dirty work breaking down play getting stuck in. Highly rated my arris