Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2011 Play off final

Was reading an article about Wembley hosting this years Champions league final and saw this:

"The Championship play-off will be played at Wembley on the Bank Holiday Monday, 48 hours after the Champions League final, while the FA has reached an agreement with the Football League for the League One and Two games to be played at alternative venues"

I know it's a long way off and we'll be lucky to even get there but i for one, would be gutted that should we make it, it won't be held at Wembley.

Comments

• Options
    Where will it be then? Cardiff??
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am not sure but think the last 2 or 3 league 1 play off finals have been close to selling out. If this is the case then I don't see where it will be moved to where upwards of 70k supporters can be housed.

Even in League 2 where the final gets maybe 50k, surely it would be harsh to begrudge League 2 fans a day out at Wembley.

As for alternative venues, realistically it will surely be one of: Cardiff, Old Trafford or the Emirates.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Where will it be then? Cardiff??

Either Cardiff or Old Trafford apparently.
  • Options
    OH GAWD !! Hope it's still on the Sunday. Due to fly in from Antigua at 05.30am that day. Don't mind where it is as long as they don't change the date.
  • Options
    Read today in the Daily Mail that the Div 1 & Div 2 finals will be held at either Old Trafford or The Millenium Stadium due to the fact Wembley has to have 2 clear weeks before the Champions League final, which is Wembley on the 28th May.

This was just a side bit to the main story which is that the FA Cup Final is likely to be at 5.30pm as the date coincides with a FULL Premiership programme and they are very unlikely to move all of those or play them at the same time (ie, 3pm). Seeing as in the last few years it has almost always been Prem teams in the final (Millwall & W Ham being to only 2 that werent that I can think of) then the FA Cup final is going to be a right 'mare to organise this season.

Lunitics running the asylum me-thinks
  • Options
    what date is the league one play off final ?
  • Options
    that article was in April, must have been a decision since then.
  • Options
    Bizarre, why don't they do what they did last season and have it on a different week to the championship playoff final?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Bizarre, why don't they do what they did last season and have it on a different week to the championship playoff final?

They can't. The FA Cup final is 14th May and then a UEFA ruling means there must be a 2 week gap before the CL final to 'get the stadium ready'. The CL final is 28th May.

So there isn't a spare weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    This was just a side bit to the main story which is that the FA Cup Final is likely to be at 5.30pm as the date coincides with a FULL Premiership programme and they are very unlikely to move all of those or play them at the same time (ie, 3pm). Seeing as in the last few years it has almost always been Prem teams in the final (Millwall & W Ham being to only 2 that werent that I can think of) then the FA Cup final is going to be a right 'mare to organise this season.

Hardly surprising that the FA Cup has lost its prestige. Might as well go the whole hog and play it on a Tuesday evening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what date is the league one play off final ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what date is the league one play off final ?

They haven't been confirmed yet
  • Options
    ok ta chris
  • Options
    If this is in fact what is taking place, and League One and Two teams will miss out on a day at Wembley, just to cater for the Champions League, then that is a disgrace. A 2 week gap to get the stadium ready? Are they having a laugh?!
  • Options
    Good Omen.

If they are messing about and finding new venue's then Charlton will be the team (with one other) to miss out on a trip to Wembley

This is also good news as our sequence of games at Wembley is lose/win/lose/win/lose/win so we are set to lose the next one.
  • Options
    If (and it's a big "if") we get to the playoff final I'll be happy enough and frankly well bothered that it's not at Wembley as long as we win. In any case nothing will ever compare to 98' so a new venue may create it's own legend.
  • Options
    So what you are basically saying is that we are NOT going to win the FA Cup ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good Omen.

If they are messing about and finding new venue's then Charlton will be the team (with one other) to miss out on a trip to Wembley

This is also good news as our sequence of games at Wembley is lose/win/lose/win/lose/win so we are set to lose the next one.

We should probably try to use up the loss on the Paint Pot this year then.
  • Options
    we will have nothing to worry about
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost certain to be Old Trafford, although don't rule out the Emirates according to the peeps I've spoken too today
  • Options
    Emirates would be good- have a bit of atmosphere in there for once
  • Options
    Chances are that 2 southern teams having to travel all the way up to Manchester?
  • Options
    Just as long St ANDREWS IS NOT THE GROUND could not take that a second time around.Anyway alot of football to be played before we start thinking of play-off grounds.
  • Options
    It's a disgrace that once again the 'champions' league is having such a negative effect on our domestic football.

That said, I can't stand new wembley. Represents all that is wrong with modern football to me.
  • Options
    final to be played at the toolbox apparently
  • Options
    Why not play it at Wembley a week after the Championship final?
  • Options
    This makes our JPT Campaign even more vital !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Why not play it at Wembley a week after the Championship final?

Because then there would be 3 weeks between the semi finals and the final. It's a bit of a wait. Besides Wembley probably have Monster Truck racing booked in for that weekend!
  • Options
    Hope it stays in London, if it's in Manchester or Wales can't see us taking more than 15,000. Long way off of course.