Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perhaps one of our elder members may fancy this !

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
From the Daily Record:

A FOOTBALL-MAD grandad celebrated his 60th birthday by becoming a mascot for his beloved team.
Hamilton Academical fan Andy Waring's son Davy arranged it as a surprise treat for his dad.
And after proudly leading his team out on to the pitch, Andy said it was the best present he had ever had. He added: "I've followed Hamilton all my life. This is something that will stay with me forever."

Andy had no idea what was in store when he went along to New Douglas Park on Saturday to see his team play Partick Thistle. He said: "My family told me to get to the match early as they were planning a little surprise for my grandson Gavin's first birthday. "But when I got there, they told me that I was the one getting the surprise and I was going to be mascot."

Andy led Accies captain Alex Neil and the rest of the players on to the pitch to the cheers of the home support. The icing on the cake came when he joined delighted fans to watch Hamilton win 2-1.

Andy, who lives in the Lanarkshire town, added: "The players couldn't have been nicer to me. "I chatted with the captain and we shook hands as we walked on to the pitch. "I was even asked if I wanted to take some penalties, but I was too nervous. It was such a big surprise. I was just blown away.

"I was born about 200 yards from the old Douglas Park stadium." Factory supervisor Davy, 30, said Accies bosses pulled out all the stops to make his dad's day perfect.

He said: "I decided to make enquiries because a 60th birthday is such a special occasion and my dad is a big Accies fan. He travels everywhere to see them. "I wanted to get my dad an official shirt with his name and age on the back. "But Hamilton don't sell official shirts, only replica ones.
"So I asked the club if I could get permission to go to their shirt suppliers and get them to make up a special strip just for my dad.

"They made him a real strip with all the official logos and his name on the back."

Davy, also from Hamilton, realised all the behind-the-scenes efforts were worthwhile when he saw his dad's face as he walked on to the pitch. He added: "My dad had a brilliant day as club mascot.
"My mum has never been to a game in her life as she hates football, but even she came along."

Arthur Lynch, associate director at Hamilton Academical FC, said the club had been happy to help Davy organise the surprise treat.
He said: "This guy got in touch with me at the beginning of last summer and asked if we could help his dad become a mascot. "It was certainly an unusual request. Normally, we have kids as mascots but this gentleman is 60. He is definitely the oldest mascot I have ever heard of at the club.

"But we were very happy to help this gentleman enjoy a special birthday."

Comments

• Options
    Hope i make it to 60! sounds fantastic.
  • Options
    I'm not sure whether I'd rather hold Luke's hand or Matty's hand when we walk onto the pitch:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    how about if they made kish captain that day though!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LOL!!
  • Options
    I was expecting jokes about how only certain adults of restricted height could get away with this but obviously this is just not done on CL ;-)
  • Options
    He must be a dwarf
  • Options
    For my 60th my wife arranged an "Executive Package" for the Man U game a couple of years ago. The hassle of booking it was unbelievable but the day was great - except we lost, but then I half expected that .... perhaps I can be the mascot when I'm 70!