Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The State of the Squad

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy walker at spurs would be ideal to have on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm yet to be convinced that this squad is good enough. It seems more balanced that last year but lacks the quality up front of Burton or the goals of Bailey. Other teams, such as P'boro, Sheff Wed and Hudds, seem to have more going forward.

Maybe you're right, Henry .....but it's early days yet. As we all know, there has been a big influx of new players to the squad - and many of them are still learning each others names let alone know each other's strengths and weaknessess. It's a team in the making.

But as you say yourself, it seems more balanced this year. There is a strong work ethic and we've seen generally so far a tougher mentality. I take your point that quality players like Richardson, Sam, Burton and Bailey have not necessarily been replaced with better or equal ...... but then often a balanced, integrated side with the right mentality will be more successful than a team of more talented individuals; the sum of the parts and all that. Curbs' own recipe for success, in fact.

But as you say, early days yet. So we'll see!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]special notes have to go to doherty, reid, jackson, fortune, martin, all of which could and should be playing at a higher level than we currently are.
    Could, maybe, should not really. Fortune struggled to break into Sheff Utd's team and now has to prove he's still as good as he was, as well as his fitness. Doherty like Dailly is not far too good for League One, though hopefully like Dailly he'll prove to be a very good player at this level. Those 3 should hopefully prove to be better than Dailly, Sodje and Llera last season.

Martin still has a lot to prove. If he was that good (maybe it's just a matter of consistency) he'd still be at Ipswich.

Jackson didn't play regularly for Notts County in League Two. Reid can still work on his crossing, decision making etc. Not saying he's not a good player for us but he's not as all round as sometimes is made out IMO.

Like I said the other day I don't think we have anyone far too good for this league this season or even last season. Plenty of good players at the other top 6/8 clubs or so that are just as good as our players and in some cases better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Jackson didn't play regularly for Notts County in League Two.

Well, he did make 24 appearances for Notts County last season.

Apart from missing a handful of games due to an early injury, he was a regular until joining Charlton in February.
    Notts County allowed him to be loaned out because he was one of their higher paid players and they were in big trouble at the bank. Sent back during the last few days of his Charlton loan due to that hamstring injury.

Being loaned out and injury recovery time cost him 10 weeks of availability for selection at Notts.
    As soon he was fit again, he played the last few games for Notts County as they romped to the League 2 title.

It's anyone's guess of course - but IMO Jacko would have been a regular 1st team starter at Notts if he hadn't been loaned out and got injured.
  • Options
    Fair enough then.
  • Options
    oggy I agree with what you say.

Just too early yet to say that this squad is good enough and that there are ''no excuses''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Just too early yet to say that this squad is good enough and that there are ''no excuses''
    Agree with that. Also hard to judge just how good other teams are at this point. Even then, some will no doubt go on a run later in the season. Swindon seemed to appear from nowhere last Christmas.
  • Options
    Job well done by Parky IMHO

What I really like is that the majority of the squad are Charlton players and not loan signings. OK we have Martin and Fry, but Martin is on a long term deal with something to prove and he's a local lad and I don't expect Fry to feature that much. Over the past few seasons, the number of loan players we've had has done nothing for team spirit - im thinking of the likes of Tom Soares, Leroy Lita, and loads I can't even remember who came here purely for their own agenda. I can see this group of players really bonding and playing for each other with a really strong team ethic - the way Abbott encouraged his teammates when coming off at Orient was fantastic to see and I think showed early encouraging signs.

I am genuinely hopeful that finally, after about 4 years, we might have a team/squad that we are going to be proud of and who are going to give everything for the cause.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Swindon seemed to appear from nowhere last Christmas.

So did Millwall, of course.

And teams that start really well can lose ground, like Leeds and Charlton last season!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brighton Addick[/cite]

and I don't expect Fry to feature that much.

Hope you're wrong - Fry looked good against the Daggers on Tuesday - I'd like to see more of him.