Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lucky Grounds...

Fratton Park.

First time I went there was 90/91 and must have been about 8/9 times in all and the only time I remember losing was about 96 in that horrible white/green/purple away kit.

I didnt go to the 4-2 defeat a couple of years back.

I love the place, cracking midweek win 91/92 when Leaburn and Whyte scored and we took 1500 down there on a Wednesday, the 3-0 spanking in 99 when we filled the away end, last years comeback and Saturday, all great days.

Anyone else got a favourite lucky fixture?

Comments

• Options
    Carrow Road - Norwich.

Been there three times, we have won 2-1, 4-0 and 3-0.

The last time I was there had £10 on us to win 3-0 at 33/1 - You Beauty !!!
  • Options
    i can't think of anywhere that has been particularly lucky. In fact i think my win ratio per away game ni the last five years is probably as dire as you're likely to find !!
  • Options
    Actually Southend has been a reasonable ground for me, barring one game where Ricky Otto ripped Balmer apart.

Also 2 out of 2 for WBA.

Seen us win 2 or 3 with a couple of draws at Sunderland.
  • Options
    I've watched Charlton more than once at 42 grounds.

The only grounds I've seen us win more than once are The Valley, Selhurst Park, Upton Park, Brisbane Road, Stamford Bridge, St Andrews (if the play off game counts) and Brunton Park. (Though I've seen us win at Roker and SoL if that counts)

Bloody missed Fratton Park this year and last year - fecking typical.

100% record at Brunton - so as I've only been there twice, that must be the one for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I've watched Charlton more than once at 42 grounds.

The only grounds I've seen us win more than once are The Valley, Selhurst Park, Upton Park, Brisbane Road, Stamford Bridge, St Andrews (if the play off game counts) and Brunton Park. (Though I've seen us win at Roker and SoL if that counts)

Bloody missed Fratton Park this year and last year - fecking typical.

100% record at Brunton - so as I've only been there twice, that must be the one for me.

Over the years, I've seen Charlton play on 82 League grounds (and Wembley twice!) but, of course, many of these grounds no longer exist: The Den, Goldstone Ground, Eastville, The Old Show Ground, Baseball Ground, Fellowes Park, Somerton Park, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Plough Lane, Highbury, Burnden Park, Maine Road, The Dell, Victoria Ground, Vetch Field, Highfield Road, Leeds Road, Filbert Street, Sealand Road, Recreation Ground, and Twerton Park (which probably still exists) all come to mind. This list includes grounds only where I've actually seen Charlton play.

Who can remember all of the League clubs who used to play at those grounds?

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Top of my head,Millwall,brighton,derby,wallsall,boro,sunderland,wimbledon,arsenal,bolton,man city,huddersfield,southhampton,stoke city,swansea,coventry city,leicester city,wrexham,have been to others but would take more time 2 list.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Top of my head,Millwall,brighton,derby,wallsall,boro,sunderland,wimbledon,arsenal,bolton,man city,southhampton,stoke city,swansea,coventry city,leicester city,wrexham,have been to others but would take more time 2 list.

Good start, badger......but, sorry, Wrexham's wrong. As far as I can remember, Wrexham are still where they've always been, at least where I saw us lose to them.

But 15 right is a good start!

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Wrexham We lost 1-0 they scored from a pen, was it in the 80's alan mullery time.
  • Options
    Wembley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Wrexham We lost 1-0 they scored from a pen, was it in the 80's alan mullery time.

Your memory's better than mine, then, badger.

Wait a minute. The trip I'm thinking of was about 1973, old Division 3. It was Grand National Day and Red Rum was running.
    We did a sweepstake on the Lewis's coach on the way to the match - and I picked Red Rum, which later won......
    Which was more than Charlton did..... memory is a bit blurry, did we lose as much as 4-0?

Your trip, if it was early 80's and Alan Mullery was Manager must have been 1981/82 - and I don't think I did that one.
    Just found out I was wrong about the Recreation Ground being no more - Charlton Reserves just beat Chesea there tonight!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2007
    The shots! You're right oggy was the 80's mullers didn't last long we did'nt have a big enough squad, also got beat at the O's in the fa cup 1-0.
  • Options
    Saw us lose 6-1 to Wrexham in the cup - compared to that any ground is lucky !!! Most enjoyable away wins have been the London derbies over the years + Villa - though we still went down the following week.
  • Options
    Stamford Bridge for me. The 1-1 Draw that kept us up & relegated them. The 0-1 win when 'SuperKev' scored in the last minute. The Carling Cup victory on Pens when Jose said they did not lose.
  • Options
    Ketman, you only posted that message so you could use the word "SuperKev"!! LOL
  • Options
    many of these grounds no longer exist: The Den, Goldstone Ground, Eastville, The Old Show Ground, Baseball Ground, Fellowes Park, Somerton Park, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Plough Lane, Highbury, Burnden Park, Maine Road, The Dell, Victoria Ground, Vetch Field, Highfield Road, Leeds Road, Filbert Street, Sealand Road, Recreation Ground, and Twerton Park

Millwall, Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe, Derby, Walsall, Newport County, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Wimbledon, Arsenal, Bolton, Man City, Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, Coventry, Huddersfield, Leicester, Chester, Aldershot, Bristol Rovers again (actually Bath City's ground).
  • Options
    I wondered if you noticed that, I was even laughing whilst I was typing it out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]many of these grounds no longer exist: The Den, Goldstone Ground, Eastville, The Old Show Ground, Baseball Ground, Fellowes Park, Somerton Park, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Plough Lane, Highbury, Burnden Park, Maine Road, The Dell, Victoria Ground, Vetch Field, Highfield Road, Leeds Road, Filbert Street, Sealand Road, Recreation Ground, and Twerton Park

Millwall, Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe, Derby, Walsall, Newport County, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Wimbledon, Arsenal, Bolton, Man City, Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, Coventry, Huddersfield, Leicester, Chester, Aldershot, Bristol Rovers again (actually Bath City's ground).

The winner is......Lenny Glover, on the wing.
    All correct - phenominal memory, Len. Have you done all of those, too?
    Your 1st Prize is: The chance to kick lumps out of me at The Valley CL Charity Match.....

Badger gets 2nd Prize.........
    As he was the only other contestant.

Brave effort, badger. :-)

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]Saw us lose 6-1 to Wrexham in the cup - compared to that any ground is lucky

It was 6-0 actually.

We played them two weeks later in the league and went 2-0 after twenty minutes. Johnny Ostergaard scored the Welsh goal of the season in that match, but we still lost 3-2.

I also went to the Racecourse ground to see England beaten 4-1 by Wales.

I fecking hate the place now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]many of these grounds no longer exist: The Den, Goldstone Ground, Eastville, The Old Show Ground, Baseball Ground, Fellowes Park, Somerton Park, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Plough Lane, Highbury, Burnden Park, Maine Road, The Dell, Victoria Ground, Vetch Field, Highfield Road, Leeds Road, Filbert Street, Sealand Road, Recreation Ground, and Twerton Park

The winner is......Lenny Glover, on the wing.
    All correct - phenominal memory, Len. Have you done all of those, too?
    Your1st Prizeis: The chance to kick lumps out of me at The Valley CL Charity Match.....

Badger gets2nd Prize.........
    As he was the only other contestant.

Brave effort, badger. :-)

No, I've not done all those grounds or anything like it. I just have a reasonable memory for trivia and an awful one for anything important!
  • Options
    Ha! Such modesty....you are a worthy Champion!

Are you the real Lenny Glover, Lenny....?
    Sold to Leicester for £80,000 in 1967 and replaced for the the next match at home to promotion chasing Blackpool by ageing full back, 32 year old Brian Kinsey on the left wing?

Brian Kinsey is my Dad's neighbour these days.
    How's that for trivia, Len?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    And i don't even get a prize, booooo,not fair.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]And i don't even get a prize, booooo,not fair.

Aw, Badger, I'm so sorry.......you can kick lumps out of me too, if you are playing in our Valley charity match.
    If you can't play, I'll buy you a drink.
    Otherwise you get to be first to visit Selhurst Park when it becomes a housing estate......

• Options
    I'll take the sherbert.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]I'll take the sherbert.

Cheers, mate!.......you've only got to wait until May 22nd....... :-)

• Options
    That's okay i'll be at the bar....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Ha! Such modesty....you are a worthy Champion!

Sold to Leicester for £80,000 in 1967 and replaced for the the next match at home to promotion chasing Blackpool by ageing full back, 32 year old Brian Kinsey on the left wing?
    I thought the real one was still inside, but apparently not. My mum will be pleased. From looking at his blog he seems to refer to Leicester as "we", so I doubt he's our Len though.
  • Options
    Len, Ali's right, you've defected to be a 'Leicester Legend' .
    Not only is Ali right, but you say it yourself on your own blog.

In the circumstances, I've no option but to strip you of 1st prize and award to..... Badger!

'Leicester Legend''......pfffff. Hang your head in shame. :-)

• Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Ha! Such modesty....you are a worthy Champion!

Brian Kinsey is my Dad's neighbour these days.
    How's that for trivia, Len?

Great stuff Oggy! You, Badger, LTGR et al are bringing back some memories. I sometimes think I'm the only old codger around!

No I'm not the real Len. Len though was a major factor in a little boy being desperate to watch a struggling second division football team though as he could be devastating on his day.

I might be wearing rose tinted glasses but if I was to say, for the benefit of the youngsters, Len had the pace of Rommedahl combined with the trickery of Thomas and the crossing ability of Hughes I don't think I'd be too far wrong. Oggy might give a more objective viewpoint!
  • Options
    he must of had a bit of Kish in him somewhere Len ??? :-)