Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Railway Stations on the Southern Edge of the Oyster Zone

I'm after a bit of local advice, if anyone can help please?

The Missus and me are holidaying in East Sussex/Kent for the next 2 weeks, staying near Hailsham. Along with seeing some if the sites the South East Counties have to offer we're hoping to use our base a spring board to visit London on half a dozen days or so. Our plan was to drive into the outer edge of the Oyster Card Zone, hopefully to a train station with street parking nearby and then get the train/tube etc into London from there.

Can anyone suggest a possible station, or am I living in cloud cukoo land expecting to find a station in greater London with car parking anywhere near it on a week day?

Comments

• Options
    Although not the greatest area Slade Green has a cheap car park and loads of street parking. Can’t guarantee the car being safe mind!
  • Options
    Similarly Abbey Wood station has a big car park which I think is easy to park at (I've parked there before and jumped on the train to Charlton). But they are probably quite far if you are coming from East Sussex, you'll prob be coming into London nearer to Croydon / Bromley.

To be honest mate I think the quickest solution would be to just jump on a train from a station near where you are staying. It'll probably only be about an hour maybe a bit more into Victoria or something from down that way - itll probably take you that long to drive to and pay to park at an outer London suburb station and then itll still be half an hour into town.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here you go...choose a station, any station...

Clicky the linky!
  • Options
    Trainspotters ;-)
  • Options
    You can buy a ticket from any station which includes a one day Travelcard for zones 1-6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]To be honest mate I think the quickest solution would be to just jump on a train from a station near where you are staying. It'll probably only be about an hour maybe a bit more into Victoria or something from down that way - itll probably take you that long to drive to and pay to park at an outer London suburb station and then itll still be half an hour into town.

Yeah we looked at doing that but tickets from the nearest station to us were shall we say, prohibitively expensive - at least they were assuming we can find cheap/free parking near a zone 6 station. That is the trouble with trains, I find, there reasonable value if you are a solo traveller but as soon as you add another person to your party the car becomes so much cheaper.

I was looking at Caterham but street parking looks a bit of a no no there although I think there is a car park nearby.

Cheers for the advice anyway peeps - I'm sure we'll sort something out.
  • Options
    You know the Hornby "00" model railway. Has anyone on here got an R186 signal box?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You know the Hornby "00" model railway. Has anyone on here got an R186 signal box?

Time you were locked up for your own good, Offy!