Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Helmets everywhere!

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
Had the misfortune of going into London today on the train. I say misfortune because,

1. It's a sunday and clearly leaving the family indoors and going into work isn't exaclty my ideal way of spending the weekend; and

2. Boris was having his "Skyride" day today, so the train in both directions was packed with people trying to shove their bikes onto trains designed for carrying passengers, not other modes of transport (wonder what they would say if I tried to wheel a motorbike on?). Added to that, the Eltham line was shut so my line (New Eltham/Sidcup) was even busier and they were only running four carriage trains!

Never seen so many bikes all piled onto one train, and none of their riders with the intelligence to maybe push their bike off the train at a station to allow others on/off - not one of them. Instead they stand their with their flourescent bibs on looking all pleased with themselves as women with kids have to do the equivalent of the Krypton Factor assault course just to get off a train at their stop.

The irony of getting a train and travelling somewhere just to get there and ride around in a circle was clearly lost on them. You've got a bike ffs - why don't you ride to wherever you're going and allow others to board a train without scraping our legs and getting covered in grease.

As I said, there were quite literally helmets everywhere.

(PS. I'm obviously not a happy chappy today)

Comments

• Options
    There is another one in a couple of weeks, do you fancy going on it? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]There is another one in a couple of weeks, do you fancy going on it? ;-)

Yes Unc, am thinking of hiring a quad bike specially for it - one that just about fits in the doors of the train so no other fecker can get on.

You in?
  • Options
    Yep count me in
  • Options
    Good man. That's one carriage sorted then. Just need six other volunteers and we've got our own private train.
  • Options
    Biggest waste of an incredible amount of money I could imagine. And like you say, trains are for people not people attached to modes of transport
  • Options
    We went up yesterday to support our womenfolk in a charity 5k run /walk in Hyde Park.

Going home it was quality to see some 'cyclists' unload the bikes from the train, directly into the back of their car in the station car park. Could understand if they had children, safety and all that, but no.
  • Options
    Commuting can be a trying experience at the best of times let alone were some tossers are taking bikes with them. No doubt they all did that awkward smile thing as people were trying to get on and off of the train, as if the situation was some how amusing. I take it the reason for the event was to encourage people to cycle, seems like a massive failure.
  • Options
    How much is the Daily Mail these days?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]How much is the Daily Mail these days?[/quote]
    good one!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Off it and Carter you are absolutely spot on and correct- Kudos to you- wonderfully put in both posts.
    Never understood why bike riding antheads feel the need to clog up the trains, the fact that twatface Johnson is behind this nonsense comes as no shock to me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I love bikes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swerve[/cite]We went up yesterday to support our womenfolk in a charity 5k run /walk in Hyde Park.

Going home it was quality to see some 'cyclists' unload the bikes from the train, directly into the back of their car in the station car park. Could understand if they had children, safety and all that, but no.

That's the thing, what is it hoping to achieve? I wouldn't ride a push bike around the area where I live with cars on the road because I know how ignorant some road users are, so lulling a mass of people into a false sense of security by shutting loads of roads will not get them using cycles as a mode of transport. I'm sure it was lovely riding around roads without having to look out or be aware of other vehicles, but that's not how it is so either all those who do not usually use bikes go out into the real angry roads they will get butchered. And the rest will take the bikes out of the boot of the car and put them back in the shed to gather cobwebs not to be used again until the local authority decides to close the roads again.
  • Options
    Really irritates me. Every day I see clowns getting on the train with their bikes and doubtlessly travelling a shorter distance when they get off, than me.
  • Options
    I don't have anything against cyclists (ones that ride responsibly) but I do not see how this very expensive PR exercise will encourage anyone who does not currently use a bicycle suddenly take it up.
  • Options
    I blame the train companies. In the old days there used to be guards on all the trains. If you had a bike with you, you rode in the guards van where you wouldn't annoy anyone else. In these penny pinching days, that is no longer the situation. Perhaps it's time for the train companies to introduce dedicated bike carriages without all the seats, that would free the rest of the train for normal passengers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I blame the train companies. In the old days there used to be guards on all the trains. If you had a bike with you, you rode in the guards van where you wouldn't annoy anyone else. In these penny pinching days, that is no longer the situation. Perhaps it's time for the train companies to introduce dedicated bike carriages without all the seats, that would free the rest of the train for normal passengers.

I don't get the train much but when I do, I notice the problem seems to be that they do not have enough space for people let alone another tube for bikes. The penny pinching must be the reason behind this, the people I know who have to commute from where I live to London have to pay an obscene amount for season tickets etc to then be squashed into a stinking carriage.

Put them in the engine room ;-)
  • Options
    I also got a train into central London yesterday morning, but have a slightly different take on it.

We were going as my wife was running in the 5k at Hyde Park and there was a good mixture of runners and families and cyclists (including children).

It probably helped that I wasn't on my way to work, and that it was a decent length train that wasn't very busy, but I thought it was nice to see so many people out and about on a Sunday morning going to do something healthy and active.

As for the cycle ride being a waste of money, wouldn't a lot of the costs have been met by Sky etc in return for having their logos all over the place?
  • Options
    I'm sure they would have. Not much consolate for anyone caught in the traffic chaos that the event caused though is it.

I'm not attacking you I just had a bee in my wig about this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]There is another one in a couple of weeks, do you fancy going on it? ;-)

Yes Unc, am thinking of hiring a quad bike specially for it - one that just about fits in the doors of the train so no other fecker can get on.

You in?

like a pram?