Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Switzerland

13»

Comments

• Options
    First half I thought we were excellent, didn't really let them play at all (although they did look poor)

Joe Hart had a couple of wobbles and does like to leave his clearances till the last second, but he's an absolute class keeper and should have that jersey nailed for years to come...

Jagelka is a quality centre half and for me should be a first choice, could understand playing Lescott with him last night (same club and all that)

Gerrard has to play in the middle, not with Lampard but I'm really not convinced by Barry - in my opinion it's a crying shame Hargreaves has has such a problem with injuries as I think he'd be the perfect holding player.

Rooney and Defoe both look sharp, Defoe looks like he could score whenever he gets the ball.

My only worry for the next game is that Milner is suspended, easy option for Capello is to bring Lampard back and push Gerrard out wide, when really all he should do is start Johnson there with Walcott on the right.
  • Options
    i thought Joe Hart got too big for his boots last night and i think this is going to be the worry

top keeper the lad i just hope he keeps himself grounded and head down and get on with the football
  • Options
    I think that is probably Hart's main weakness. Yet he seems so grounded when being interviewed.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Read something in the paper the other day about Joe Harts attitude in 2008 when he thought he should be number 1 then. Now he is a class keeper who should only get better (unless he follows Richard Wright who also had a brash attitude) but Joe Harts attitude is a minor cause for concern. Imho he needed a game like last night to wake him up and show that he is not perfect and the Number 1 spot is not to be taken for granted.

There are some English keepers who have started the season well and it only takes one or two errors from Hart and the England keeping situation will be blown open again.

As for last night, Jagielka is an excellent deputy who would have been more reliable than Upson and King at the WC, Adam Johnson is class and can only get better whilst it has been good to see England play well without Lampard and Terry.

Weaknesses, not convinced Barry is good enough especially when we play the better sides ie Germany, Spain etc whilst the England defence will never look solid enough with Glen Johnson there.

However the only thing that matters aside from the win is that Bent scored!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not convinced by Barry either. Given Johnson's start to his England career, how about we ditch Barry, put Milner in the middle and let Johnson start out wide? Simples.