Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent and Chris Powell

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
When Benty scored last night my joy was greater than I expected.
It occurred to me that he's unusual because I really root for him whenever he plays despite the fact that he hasn't played for Charlton for years.
I feel the same way about Chris Powell and I think a lot of people on here have a similar attitude to these two players.

The question is, do/did people hold such affection for any other former Charlton players while they were playing for other clubs?
I don't think there can be many.

Comments

• Options
    Hate to say it it but i still like Scott Parker to do well, think he is a great player
  • Options
    Any player that always gave 100% and didn't ask to leave. Certainly not Scott Parker

Yeah, you're right lordromford, not that many!
  • Options
    robert lee
  • Options
    Bent behaved perfectly for us. On the pitch his goals kept us up. Without him I think we would have been relegated much sooner. And when it was time for him to go he sat quietly in the background waiting patiently for the move, no prima donna antics.

I think when any ex-cafc player does well I take it as a sign that at one stage cafc did something right. I sent a text to my mate last night when Bent replaced Defoe - cafc replacing cafc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]And when it was time for him to go he sat quietly in the background waiting patiently for the move, no prima donna antics.
    Compare that to Defoe who after West Ham got relegated Defoe put in a transfer request.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer,Paul Walsh,Paul Elliot ,Robert Lee ,Shelvey,Chrissy Powell and Darren Bent.
  • Options
    Another is John Robinson except that he didn't really do much on the playing front when he left us, but if he had.......

and of course Derek Hales

and a guy called Marvin Hinton who went to Chelsea and was one of their H squad.
  • Options
    Dean Kiely and...

Ralph Milne to United - go on Ralphy-boy!
  • Options
    Bent and Powell come across as nice guys - both are remembered fondly by the fans of more than one club - we don't have exclusive rights.
  • Options
    Rob Lee I follow with interest but not with the affection i have for Bent and Powell, primarily because he seems to have tried to wipe us out of his history. I have also followed Parker and Bowyers careers and (in Bowyers case) from a foot balling perspective am disappointed that neither of them made it for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Kiely

Bent

Powell

Bowyer

the only 4 players that i ever check how they are doing.

Bent was a Gent and he never ever let us down with better mgmt he was the player we were lacking for so many seasons a real out and out goal machine

i was so mad when that div erikson picked walcott over him and then the troll headed cappello done the same by not taking him to the last world cup
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm always happy to see Luke Young doing well. He too was a great player for us, never threw his toys out of the pram and as far as I know seems a proper person. Has gone on to have a very successful career and I like to think we had a great deal to do with that. I'd add Scott Minto as well to those already mentioned.

I do admit though that I am always well pleased when Benty scores. I can't wait until we get to see him play at The Valley again as I am sure the reception he gets will be second to none.
  • Options
    The firesale of Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot saved Charlton from Bankcruptcy.
    Robert Lee's transfer paved the way for the return to the Valley.
    Bowyer's record transfer fee helped the eventual team building towards challenging and attaining Premiership status.
    Parker's rashness ,and in my opinion misguided decision to leave,led to Scott losing out on England and Charlton starting on a downward spiral .
  • Options
    I told Darren on sunday night on Twitter that his favourite restaurant whilst here (othellos) had had a fire.... he replied straightaway too. said he loved the place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I told Darren on sunday night on Twitter that his favourite restaurant whilst here (othellos) had had a fire.... he replied straightaway too. said he loved the place.

God, havn't been to Othello's for years. Didn't even realise it was still there (maybe isn't now!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I told Darren on sunday night on Twitter that his favourite restaurant whilst here (othellos) had had a fire.... he replied straightaway too. said he loved the place.

was that on the lower road into greenwich B???
  • Options
    Not a former player, but someone who we owe a debt of Gratitude to.....Lennie Lawrence
  • Options
    Lennie The Magnificent.
  • Options
    Know he was only here on loan and not for long, but I like to see Scotty Carson do well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

was that on the lower road into greenwich B???

Yes othellos is on the lower road. The only one i know of. Darren was in there most friday nights if not Friday certainly one night a week, at least.... whereas his current teammate Reid was in the irish establishment opposite.. most nights of the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great Grub in Othellos is it burnt bad B

i took the missus there loads aint been for ages but was going to do Othellos and a movie with her next month
  • Options
    dont know

It was just the roof above the top that was damaged, so dont even know if the place is open or shut but assume shut for the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Othellos used to advertise in the CAFC programme in the 70's, I remember thinking the name was a bit unusual. It was only later I realised Shakespeare must have got his dinner in there one night and stole it for one of his plays.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Know he was only here on loan and not for long, but I like to see Scotty Carson do well[/quote]

Yep me too.

Have to say I did follow Robert Lee's career with interest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Arry Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Know he was only here on loan and not for long, but I like to see Scotty Carson do well

Yep me too.

Have to say I did follow Robert Lee's career with interest.

Me too, it was good to see him get a few England caps and fulfill his potential, although IIRC Keegan took the credit for turning him into an England player!

Another two Charlton alumni I never minded seeing play for other teams were Johnny H and Morts.
  • Options
    Benty, Powell, Shelvey, Parker and Young for me.
  • Options
    Suprised Kinsella hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Strangely I always looked out for Charlie macDonald and glad to see him doing well - and would love to have him back - so long as he doesnt score against us next month
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Benty, Powell, Shelvey, Parker and Young for me.

Great professionals there.
  • Options
    Surprised by how many names are coming up, but in most cases I'm reacting with the words "oh yeah, I'd forgotten about him, I like/liked him too!"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Suprised Kinsella hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Strangely I always looked out for Charlie macDonald and glad to see him doing well - and would love to have him back - so long as he doesnt score against us next month

Kinsella didn't really leave to go to a better club though (strange to think that we were possibly better than Aston Villa when we sold him!!!). And now he's on the touchline we don't miss him as much as Benty and Powell.