Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So would you travel to Cairo tomorrow?

Cos that's what we're meant to be doing in the morning. Completely mad US Pentecostal minister plans to burn copies of the Koran on Sept 11th. Demos and more expected in Cairo - can't see us being very welcome. So genuine question for you please, would you let it put you off going? Will it invalidate holiday insurance? No advice about it yet on Foreign Office website.

Comments

• Options
    I'd still go. But speak to the couriers about any specialcare you may need to take asap. In allhonesty I think you'll be ok
  • Options
    It's a great city, so yes. No shorts, bare arms etc outside of the hotel pool though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Completely mad US Pentecostal minister plans to burn copies of the Koran

Why don't these idiot feckers have brain cells?

Thing that gets my goat: so called Christians who talk Christianity - but don't practice it.
    This moron is just one example.
  • Options
    Cairo and the Sharm regions rely on western tourism, I think you will be fine, just maybe don't get too adventurous and be respectful where necessary dress wise

Have a great holiday
  • Options
    Go take no risks . Enjoy your hotel facilities if you sense tension and try not too look like that crazy ass minister
  • Options
    Take a few cartoons of mohammed to hand out as a peace offering, though make sure they are funny ones as the islamic sense of humour is very refined and they take offence at bad comedy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for that Steve :-). My sons had a few 'useful' suggestions as well! Thanks for the comments.
    We're going, but won't do any of the 'off piste' stuff. We'd always found the Egyptians to be very friendly, so really angry with this US nut, but there you go, God has given him guidance. We're on a Saga Pharoahs tour, so hopefully, they'll be aware of the risk potential ( Saga that is, not the Pharoahs). We'll just hope that the fanatics don't decide to bomb tourist coaches and hotels again. Our situation though pales into insignificance when we think just how much extra danger this will place the Afghanistan troops in.
    Enjoy the game, we'll be listening in.
  • Options
    Oh and be culturally aware of the correct form of address of mohammed in Cairo. They refer to him as the Great Holiness Mohammed, but prefer to use the popular shorthand term, the Big HoMo, use it as it will help you to assimilate quicker.
  • Options
    Safety will be fine, but it's a shithole unfortunately.
  • Options
    I'm the kind of Graduniad reading lefty that makes Gooner's blood boil, but this all winds me up. There's always somebody in the muslim world burning US flags and celebrating the glories of 9/11 but as soon as a mentally impaired westerner starts behaving the same way it's outrage. I know two idiots don't make a sensible, but everyone should denounce all of these people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you're not using the tickets I'll have them ; - )

Thing is it is one fundamentalist nutter trying to wind up some other fundamentalist nutters.

Most Egyptians and most tourists will thinks he's stupid and just carry on trying to earn a living/having a nice time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]. I know two idiots don't make a sensible, but everyone should denounce all of these people.

Exactly but the fundamentalist Christian book burner doesn't represent me nor do I share any of his views (as far as I know). We come from the same hemisphere, that's about it. Why do I have to apologise for or denounce him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If you're not using the tickets I'll have them ; - )

You're not old enough Henry, but I will be wearing a cardigan, so you'll be there in spirit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]There's always somebody in the muslim world burning US flags and celebrating the glories of 9/11 but as soon as a mentally impaired westerner starts behaving the same way it's outrage.

Totally agree with this sentiment.

However I think most people in the western world think they are above this kind of thinking.
  • Options
    As a card carrying atheist, a plague on both their houses is more my stance, just a tad apprehensive at going to Cairo at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]As a card carrying atheist, a plague on both their houses is more my stance, just a tad apprehensive at going to Cairo at the moment.

Understand where you're coming from and cant blame you for your apprehension, however try and enjoy your visit, and dont stray off the beaten track.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I'm the kind of Graduniad reading lefty that makes Gooner's blood boil, but this all winds me up. There's always somebody in the muslim world burning US flags and celebrating the glories of 9/11 but as soon as a mentally impaired westerner starts behaving the same way it's outrage. I know two idiots don't make a sensible, but everyone should denounce all of these people.[/quote]

Spot on one man burning a few books and there is international outrage the other way round we just get on with it

Again not saying this guy is right at all
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]As a card carrying atheist, a plague on both their houses is more my stance, just a tad apprehensive at going to Cairo at the moment.
    Who's going to deliver your plague, you godless heathen?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]

Shakespeare, obviously.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Exactly but the fundamentalist Christian book burner doesn't represent me nor do I share any of his views (as far as I know). We come from the same hemisphere, that's about it. Why do I have to apologise for or denounce him?
    Maybe I used the wrong word? In not being represented by these types I think we're kind of denouncing, but maybe just ignoring is the better way forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you stop going to London in the height of the N.Ireland troubles?

Allowing this sort of threat to dictate your actions is playing into the hands of terrorists everywhere, and you are as likely to get caught up in actions in Egypt as you are in the UK, or anywhere else in the world.
  • Options
    Maybe I used the wrong word? In not being represented by these types I think we're kind of denouncing, but maybe just ignoring is the better way forward.

I agree with you. Ignoring or maybe distancing ourselves.

In the same way when we are shown people burning US flags on TV is that the whole population of Egypt or wherever? Personally I doubt it.

My guess is that Stilladdickted's tour guide/hotel staff/etc etc are watching it thinking "idiot, that's another 1000 US tourists you've driven away and less work for me, thanks for nothing, you nutter"
  • Options
    Have a great time. I was there soon after the infamous Sep 11th and found people curious rather than aggressive in any way. Strange time with virtually no westerners around, making vendors more desperate than usual, but most locals were just keen to distance themselves from it all. I guess there's an element of risk at high-profile sites but one-on-one I've never felt at all threatened in any Islamic country. I'd imagine security might well be stepped up at the main sites too. If you feel any unease anywhere, just give it a miss this time - you can always go back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]. I know two idiots don't make a sensible, but everyone should denounce all of these people.

And anyway, we have been burning reliogious iconography for hundreds of years to celebrate our own 5/11 (day month the correct english way), when some religious nutter tried to blow up our parliment, without too much international condemnation.
  • Options

In the same way when we are shown people burning US flags on TV is that the whole population of Egypt or wherever? Personally I doubt it.

My guess is that Stilladdickted's tour guide/hotel staff/etc etc are watching it thinking "idiot, that's another 1000 US tourists you've driven away and less work for me, thanks for nothing, you nutter"

Obviously its the small minority that act in this way, but it doesn't change the fact that a man threatening to burn books in the US receives worldwide condemnation but people in the middle east actually burning flags and effigies in response if met with vague interest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]

Obviously its the small minority that act in this way, but it doesn't change the fact that a manthreateningto burn books in the US receives worldwide condemnation but people in the middle eastactuallyburning flags and effigies inresponseif met with vague interest.

true but

Dog bites man = not news
    man bites dog = headlines
  • Options

Shakespeare, obviously.
    I think Shakey or indeed whoever came up with the line (the story was originated by travelling minstrels so one of them may have come up with the line), I think they had Jeebuz or some kind of similar entity in mind for actually sending the plague over. Can't swear to it though.
  • Options
    My brother was born in the British garrison there.

Perhaps that explains why he was mad enough to go to Charlton Secondary and then go back to teach there.

He has been back to Cairo since. Worth the trip.