Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was. F.A. Cup 4th Round 1976 (Pompey related)

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 24th January 1976. Charlton 1 (1) (Cutis pen 26) Portsmouth 1 (0) (Piper 88). Att: 26,361

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Hope, Peacock, Flanagan. Unused sub: D Young.

Portsmouth: Lloyd, Lawler, Mellows, Roberts, Went, Cahill, McGuinness, Piper, Graham, Reynolds, Eames. Unused sub: Wilson.

Referee: Alfred Grey (Gt Yarmouth).

Replay: Tuesday 27th Januray (note only 3 days later) Portsmouth 0 (0) Charlton 3 (0) (Powell 55, Flanagan 58, Hope 88) Att: 31,722.

Both sides fielded identical teams to those used in the first game.

The Addicks were then knocked out in round five 3-0 (Richards 3) in front of 32,301 at Molineux. An estimated 7,000 Addicks made the journey via two special trains, 16 coaches laid on by Valliants Travel, plus several more from Lewis's coaches.

Will put one up for the younger fans later in the week.

Comments

• went to the home game of course but, more importantly, went to the replay...thought we were on our own for most of it, the open end was jam packed with pompey and three of us stood in the middle of them...cheered out fcking heads off as the goals went in...back to the station we were stuck in the middle of the pompey trying to get into the station at charlton fans and still didn't think there were that many of us and it was starting to look ugly...the ob started tugging out the pompey, one pompey 'hard nut' starting crying for his mummy and with every body laughing that's when we realised thee were loads of charlton there and suddenly all the pompey seemed to disappear...next up wolves away and what a day that was...
  • Home and Away - love your posts top stuff
  • I went to the home one. I was only ten but remember lots of trouble at Charlton station as the upside and downside trains came in at the same time.
  • Do you know, I can hardly remember a thing about the home Pompey match.

But the replay was a different story..,,,,,,,atmosphere was cracking after Paddy Powell put us in front - the Charlton singing and jubilation was really winding up the Pomps, and from then on we never looked like losing.
    Just before the end George Hope made it safe and all the Pomps started leaving before the final whistle.

ltgtr tells it well as it was afterwards.

George Hope was a Newcastle reserve that we signed on a free, I think, because he wasn't getting much of a chance in Geordieland. He never really established himself down here either but played a bit part for a couple of seasons.

That Wolves game sits in the mind still. It was a fantastic atmosphere and we more or less had one end. I seem to remember we played pretty well for most of the match and we won corner after corner - maybe around 14 or 15 - but we couldn't score. Then we got hit on the break, 0-1, but we never gave up even when Wolves had made it 3-0.
    Even though the score was wrong, we didn't really care, it had been one of the classic away days.

• edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Do you know, I can hardly remember a thing about the home Pompey match.

I remember going to the home game, couldn't go to the replay but the score stuck in my brain. At The Valley Portsmouth came mob handed and I remember vividly them signing the Pompey Chimes. Can't remember much about the game though.
  • Look at that forward line:)
    Mark Penfold, tough little nut as I recall, Warman came in originally as back up for Curtis? Or was Warman on the left? Actually, more I think about it he was.
    Curtis began to take on more of a midfield role.
    I am in awe of how much some of you can remember, but keep it up, it's great to read.
  • edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Look at that forward line:)
    Mark Penfold, tough little nut as I recall, Warman came in originally as back up for Curtis? Or was Warman on the left? Actually, more I think about it he was.
    Curtis began to take on more of a midfield role.
    I am in awe of how much some of you can remember, but keep it up, it's great to read.

Hi 3blokes - Bob Curtis was for years number 2 Right Back, and number 3 Phil Warman was Left Back.
    Curtis was converted to midfield by Theo Foley one year - and in an absolute masterstroke, his performances almost singlehandedly saved as from relegation, as we looked dead and buried in the dropzone at the end of March before powerfully finishing lower midtable.

Mark Penfold was a teenaged left back with long 70's style frizzy hair, who had held the record for youngest Charlton debutant (until Konchesky) but suffered a nasty leg break while still young. I think he still plays for Charlton Vets thesedays.

Looking at the lineup, it looks like Bob Curtis was playing Centreback with Jimmy Giles - and Penfold RB, although he was left footed.

It was the first year back in Division 2, after that historic promotion match against Bobby Charlton's Preston.

That was some free scoring attack - George Hope here paired with Killer up front and Paddy & Flash out wide.
    As Keithie Peacock got older he was converted very effectively from the left wing to attacking midfield supported by the vastly underated Peter Hunt, who later went to Gillingham.

'Buster' Tutt was our local young goalkeeper prospect, very highly rated - and whose career was ended against Sunderland aged only 19. Sunderland's Tom Finney recklessly followed through on Tutty, and our boy was stretchered off. Finished.

Years later playing for Cambridge Utd, Finney lined up in a reserve match at The Valley, and our boys were taking it in turns to extract retribution.
    The referee appeared to turn a blind eye to the battering given out, so maybe knew the story......would a referee do that?
    Needless to say, Finney never reappeared for the 2nd half.
  • Blimey, i'm going dizzy.well done Oggy.
  • [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Blimey, i'm going dizzy.well done Oggy.

Do you remember all this stuff too, Badger?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Do you know, I can hardly remember a thing about the home Pompey match.

it was the only cup game on in london that day and featured on the big match on the sunday...lots of anticipation, plenty of frustration and i think most people thought we'd blown our chance by not winning at home...hence, why it seemed so few of us went to the replay...certainly, on our train down there didn't seem to be many charlton fans about and the end for the away fans was jam-packed with pompey which is why we waded into the middle and just right of the goal...spotted a few others cheering by the 3rd goal but certainly didn't hear any group making a lot of noise otherwise we would have squeezed our way through to join up with them...
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a group of us singing and baiting the Pomps around us - and they were starting to get a bit nasty - but some OB moved in between us and them. We were on Lewis's coach so didn't do the train.
  • I remember the home game but couldn't go to the replay for some reason. I did go to Wolves by train on my own. I was chucked out of my seat by some London Wolves fans who claimed they had reservations for all the seats on the train (I was only 16 and believed them) I stood on the home terrace for some reason and remember John Richard banging in the goals (was it a Hat-trick?) Happy days.

Phil Warman left back and a hero by the way. I remember on one occasion, him driving into the car park at the valley in his mini with Christmas presents filling the back seat just before he went out to play a game.
  • time to bump a few of these for the newbies.
  • Thanks for the memories Home&Away.
    I went to all of those games, can't remember much about the actual matches though but to be a young bloke following Charlton at the time was a real laugh.
  • edited January 2012
    Ha. I remember the away game very well, because I was at Uni (or Poly as it was) in bloody Pompey, and two of my best mates were Pompey through and through; it was weeks of wind up, as they' already beaten us at the Valley on Boxing Day, and one of them had driven all the way up to Eltham just to taunt me.
    Anyway I went with them to Fratton Park but we got separated in the large crowd. I was on my own but it didn't stop me having my say. At one point I had an altercation with a Pompey fan standing a few rows behind me. We stared at each other and that was it.
    Two weeks later, I was in the bar of the Centre Hotel in Southsea with my mate, and there was this guy again, with his girlfriend. I could see his limited brain trying to work out if I could really be that gobby Charlton fan, still here two weeks later. I noted something that I had not on the night, that while he wasn't much taller than me, he was heavy duty build. Probably a docker. He came over and with almost exaggerated politeness, asked me if we knew each other, to which I said no, but when he asked me if I was a Charlton fan I wasn't going to deny that, and resigned myself to the beating that he was offering to me outside. At this point my mate intervened and talked him out of it. He seemed oddly placated, as if mutual respect had been restored. So one thing I learnt at Uni was, if you are not built for a fight, don't pretend you are up for it :-)

But the performance was great, despite Killer being oddly quiet. The headline in the local evening paper was "Pathetic, Pompey" It was pinned on my wall the whole term.
  • Went to all three of those games..............memories
  • I remember the Pompey replay well and George Graham playing for them. The locals were not happy at the end and police horses were used to keep them at bay. Pretty sure Ian St John was the very unpopular manager. Went on the coach with my dad. Driver would not stop for chips in the Portsmouth area and said he knew a nice chippy in Guildford which when we got to it was on fire. Could only happen to a coach full of hungry Charlton fans.
  • I seem to remember we played them a few weeks earlier, on Boxing day, in the league at home and lost 3-1. Then the next day we won at Chelsea 3-2. Two games in two days - that doesn't happen anymore.
  • Oggy,was that the game we stood on the half way line,pouring it down with rain,or am i cracking up.Seem to remember brick coming through window on Eddies coach that night,As for Wolves went up on special train thought Richards came on as sub and scored 3 goals could be wrong of course.Very Happy Days back then.
  • Oggy,was that the game we stood on the half way line,pouring it down with rain,or am i cracking up.Seem to remember brick coming through window on Eddies coach that night,As for Wolves went up on special train thought Richards came on as sub and scored 3 goals could be wrong of course.Very Happy Days back then.

I was on the half way line and can remember being chased back to the coaches and a brick coming through the back window. Not sure if it was a night game though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I bunked off school to make the replay. Went via Lewis Coaches. As I recall there was only about 300 of us there.
    Harry Cripps predicted a win for us but didn't say anything about 3-0.
    Lewis, I think you are thinking of a different match. There was one that loads of people de robed as everyone was soaked anyway. I learnt this from 'Mad Mo'. BTW Lewis, I didn't see you at Exeter yesterday did you whimp out:-)

As for Wolves, this was my first really big away game and I ended up getting chucked out 'cos I had a supply of bog rolls from Avery Hill toilets as I thought that was what you did, chuck bog rolls at cup games. It seems that I was wrong.
  • I was also at the Fratton Park replay. Portsmouth were rooted to the bottom of the Second Division and Ian St John talked up the replay big time. It was an easy journey by car from Bognor Regis for my Dad, me and my best friend. The place was heaving, and overcrowding outside the turnstiles meant we must have missed the first five minutes. My abiding memory of George Hope's long run and goal that crowned a great second-half performance. I've still got a cutting of the match Daily Telegraph match report written by Robert Oxby.

Charlton march on in the battle of memories

Charlton qualified to meet Wolves in the fifth round of the FA Cup by scoring three second-half goals - through Flanagan, Powell and Hope - in last night's replay at Fratton Park.
    It was a night of nostalgia for two great clubs of the late 1940's - and for Portsmouth in particular. With thousands clamouring to get in, the Pompey chimes rang out from a crowd of more than 30,000.
    Portsmouth survived a blistering opening onslaught from Charlton. But Portsmouth responding to the atmosphere began to play skilful football which made a mockery of their lowly position in the Second Division. Piper was a constant menace to the Charlton defence.
    So were the lively Portsmouth wingers Eames and McGuiness, who took advantage of a vintage performance from George Graham.
    Yet, for all their pressure Portsmouth still lacked striking power up front, where Giles remained in general control for Charlton.
    Indeed, Charlton went closest to scoring -in the 35th minutes - when Lloyd fumbled a centre and Hunt smashed the ball against the Portsmouth bar.
    Portsmouth inability to have anyone big enough in the central striking position became crucial as Giles and Curtis continued to gobble up a stream of crosses.

Two quick goals

The game changed quite unexpectantly when Charlton scored twice in the space of two minutes. In both cases, Portsmouth failed to cut out low centres.
    In the 55th minute, Hope centred and Powell swept the ball home. Then Hales went past Lawler and Flanagan, tearing in, added the second.
    Desperately, Portsmouth threw George Graham forward in the hope of supplying the aerial power they so badly needed, but Hope sealed their fate, four minutes from the end, when he scored Charlton's third goal after a solo run.
  • Telly Tubby
    RE Exeter Saturday, yes i did whimp out.Been the last 2 years and the weather was snow over night for the return journey.
    14 HOUR DRIVE HOME AND 1100K,S NO THANKS.
    Hope to met up again this season somewhere up North me thinks.
  • I remember the covered end being packed at 2pm. Word had it that Pompey were gonna attempt to take the Covered End so everyone got there early to make sure it didnt happen. They were the best supported team Id ever seen at the Valley and they filled the open end.  Chatham Docks was still in operation then and it was customary for all the Matlows  to team up when Pompey was in town, so they would have swelled the Pompey numbers. 
    West Ham swamped the ground in a mid-week League cup, late 70s?. Tens of thousands walked shoulder to shoulder from Woolwich foot tunnel as a mass. When the players came out the whole ground erupted with Bubbles. I couldnt believe the attaendance that was announced as I would have thought it was closer to 50k than 30k and it seemed as many bunked in that paid. 
    I too didnt do the Pompey replay but jumped on the Wolves band wagon to witness the biggest away Charlton support Id ever seen. The huge South Bank was where they housed us but we didnt get a look in whole match. The support was tremendous but that was just about the only thing of note other than a young Mark Hulyer being ejected from the ground .