Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

[Closed] A quick "B" quiz

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Usual rules apply: no googling, no looking-up, no spitting, no biting.

1. In 1957, Brian Clough made his one and only appearance for the England "B" team. Which Charlton player was selected in the following England "B" match? Mike Flanagan
2. England have played Brazil in several countries. Apart from England and Brazil, what are the seven countries in which these two teams have met? Chile Mexico USA France Japan Qatar Sweden
3. England have played Bulgaria under eight different managers. Who is the only person to manage England against Bulgaria more than once? Ron Greenwood

Comments

• Options
    2. I can think of Mexico(1970), Japan (2002), France (1998 Le Tournoi), Qatar??, Chile (1962 WC I think) - hope that helps someone :-)
  • Options
    1. Leary

2. Japan 2002, Mexico 1970, UAE 2010, USA 2006?

3. Robson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]2. I can think of Mexico(1970), Japan (2002), France (1998 Le Tournoi), Qatar??, Chile (1962 WC I think) - hope that helps someone :-)
    All correct - two to go
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]1. Leary

2. Japan 2002, Mexico 1970, UAE 2010, USA 2006?

3. Robson

1. Leary Wrong

2. Japan, Mexico, USA, correct, UAE wrong

3. Robson wrong
  • Options
    Mike Flanagan played for England 'B', but I have no idea if that was the next England 'B' match after Clough's 1957 appearance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Mike Flanagan played for England 'B', but I have no idea if that was the next England 'B' match after Clough's 1957 appearance.
    Correct!

There was a gap of 21 years between the B team fixtures against Scotland in February 1957 (with Brian Clough playing in the middle of a five-man attack) and West Germany in February 1978 (where Mike Flanagan played in midfield alongside Dennis Mortimer, Terry McDermott and Gordon Hill).
  • Options
    3. They kept banging on about him resigning and then withdrawing it on the TV this week so I'll go for Ron Greenwood. Not sure we've played Bulgaria in any other qualifying though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shamkat[/cite]3. They kept banging on about him resigning and then withdrawing it on the TV this week so I'll go for Ron Greenwood. Not sure we've played Bulgaria in any other qualifying though.
    Correct. Greenwood's England beat Bulgaria twice in 1979 whilst qualifying for the European Championships. The only other times we've been drawn against them are for the 2000 European Championships when Glenn Hoddle and Kevin Keegan managed draws and the current tournament.
  • Options
    So just one more to get - in which other country has England played Brazil?
  • Options
    2. Sweden - am sure they played in a world cup years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played a friendly in Sweden...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: You don't know me[/cite]2. Sweden - am sure they played in a world cup years ago
    Correct.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Mike Flanagan played for England 'B', but I have no idea if that was the next England 'B' match after Clough's 1957 appearance.
    Correct!

There was a gap of 21 years between the B team fixtures against Scotland in February 1957 (with Brian Clough playing in the middle of a five-man attack) and West Germany in February 1978 (where Mike Flanagan played in midfield alongside Dennis Mortimer, Terry McDermott and Gordon Hill).

Ah, Gordon Hill. One of the few professional footballers named after a railway station.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q="gordon hill"

Are there any others?

Stuart Euston maybe?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alan Sunderland

Bobby Charlton
  • Options
    David Beckham's wife is named after a railway station