Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson On Sky Sports 3 Shortly Doing An Interview

The Football League Weekend Show.

Talking about his move to Charlton

Comments

• Options
    What did he say?
  • Options
    Basically that its a dream come true. Such a big club. Same sort of thing as been said in his last couple interviews.
  • Options
    And what all players say when they move to a new club
  • Options
    Does anyone know how he played for Daggenham ie was it in a 442 , with a big bloke , as a main striker?
    And how did he get his goals - poaching , from crossses?
  • Options
    i think he must operate on a different level - like Houllier - his game is so sophisticated our players aren't reading it - what appears to the average person that he's simply always running in the opposite direction to where he should be is a really a sign of how good he is.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i think he must operate on a different level - like Houllier - his game is so sophisticated our players aren't reading it - what appears to the average person that he's simply always running in the opposite direction to where he should be is a really a sign of how good he is.[/quote]

Genius, I agree Dan, that must be it!!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Does anyone know how he played for Daggenham ie was it in a 442 , with a big bloke , as a main striker?
    And how did he get his goals - poaching , from crossses?
    I asked that in another thread, would be interesting to know.

Do know he is a poacher, we need to get crosses in and balls into his feet in the box. He's not a big targetman or someone to run at players.

It was said if he's not scoring goals he'll look poor, and we've already seen why. I didn't think he was that bad Saturday but then I wasn't expecting him to do much outside the box. Just keep it simple and win a few headers, which is what he did.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to remember him touching the ball at all in the box!

He must have done, I just don't remember.
  • Options
    When we signed him someone said if he didnt score stright away the boo boo would be on his back. I thought nah surely our fans are more realisticn that these days. Obviously not.
    The guy has played 2 (league ) gasmes for heven sake. Give the guy a chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i think he must operate on a different level - like Houllier - his game is so sophisticated our players aren't reading it - what appears to the average person that he's simply always running in the opposite direction to where he should be is a really a sign of how good he is.

What?

So, after 3 games (that have yielded 2 wins), is it him that's useless, or just the other ten? Not sure where your sarcasm is aimed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've not been impressed with him so far. He only seems to have one pace (which isnt fast enough).
    And not the goal scoring instinct I was expecting. I would have thought he would have been up for it yesterday considering he was playing against his old side.
    He looks like a waste of money but I'm happy to be proved wrong!!
  • Options
    I actually thought his understanding with Anyinsah in the first half looked promising. Once Anyinsah went off injured Benson disappeared and he had no understanding with Sodje. Although he did put in a good header on target, unfortunately straight at the keeper but at least he was in the box. He is a striker that needs to be given the ball not one that goes searching for it and creates goals from nothing.

Unfortunately that is Charltons way with strikers. Every manager we have had, including Curbs towards the end, wanted the strikers to act as creaters as well as finish them off. Sorry but thats what our wingers should be doing. Martin, Reid and Wagstaff have the ability at this level imho, they just need the manager to tell them thats what they are supposed to do. They certainly have the pace to scare defences.

Mendonca was not fast, but you give him the ball in the box and he was dangerous. Lisbie and Bartlett were instructed to go out wide and get the ball which is why they didn't score loads. Look at Lisbie over the past few season since he left us. He was given the ball in the right places and scored goals. Darren Bent had the speed and ability to create things himself, Andy Hunt was also surprisingly very similar in that he could create things for himself. JJ when given the ball in the right area by his wingers scored goals.

Now whether Benson will score 20 goals for us is open to a big debate. The way we are playing him at the moment i doubt it very much, but i don't entirely blame him. Abbot and Sodje are the same for me, in that they need the ball given to them in the box to be affective, thats how Abbot got his goals in the Cup. Anyinsah on the other hand i think can create things for himself so its nice to have him as an option, which is probably why Benson and him looked good in the first half. Two different types of strikers one working off the other, rather than both moving for the same ball.

If Parkinson is gonna play Abbott and Benson, Sodje and Benson, or Abbott and Sodje he needs to instruct his other players to create chances for them or they might as well not bother turning up.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have to say based on yesterdays performance Benson was not great, I hope he proves me wrong and maybe a first goal will help him. That said Abbott has not really cut the mustard thus far either but its fair to say the service has not been A1 either- a real shake up here is needed. I thought Akpo got stuck in and caused them all sorts of problems and gave a good account of himself.
  • Options
    I agree in that i thought Sodje put himself about a bit when he came on. The problem is he doesn't link up with Benson. Maybe our combinations of strikers should be Abbott and Sodje, Benson and Anyinsah. Although i do think Abbot played really well when up top on his own with Martin floating around behind him.

Unfortunately we haven't got the luxury of strikers like Yorke, Cole and Sheringham who could all play together no matter the combination. Its still early days, but they will need to find their shooting boots soon or the boo boys will be on all their cases. Some already were yesterday which was disappointing.