Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I've out done Charlton Dan

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Just been on 5 live talking about the reintroduction of Safe Standing.

I'm national lad, you regional upstart ;0)

Comments

• Options
    wahay

waste of time as it'll never happen

or did things get said on there that makes you think otherwise.

I'd love to see it back but there are too many namby pamby farts in this country who won't let it happen. All the jobsworths at councils would have a field day about the 2000 buzzword HEALTH AND SAFETY
  • Options
    The health and safety issues, isn't the issue, it's political will and bottle.

The safety argument has been won as the systems in Germany have shown it's safe, and produces better atmospheres.

27,500 people stand behind the goal at Dortmund, in a Stadium as good if not better then anything in the Premiership, for the princely sum of €13.

It's more a case of whether the government will shift, and football wants to stay a middle class sport, or return to a sport for the nation as a whole
  • Options
    Agree rothko, nothing to do with health and safety, we should bring back terracing, i would rather have the option, then again football is now known as a brand and or product, another load of rubbish,have been to games in europe and there is no problem with the terracing and it produces a better atmosphere, if it was down to health and safety why do we still have grounds in the lower leagues with terracing. So IT'S okay for teams in league 1 and league 2 with stadiums that are falling down but not in the Beloved premier,rant over.
  • Options
    while you`ve got small chance of getting standing re-introduced (I`m not against it, by the way) there`s no chance at all of the ticket prices reflecting the differance, they`d possibly put them up and say "YOU WANTED IT, YOU PAY FOR IT!. Badger, would you pay the same or possibly more to stand, than you are for your currant seat price, not having a dig mate, I`ve just never known any industry lower their prices after any changes were made, I stood towards the back v Bolton in the cup, had forgot what it was like, and I agree it improves the atmosphere 100%.
  • Options
    I have been to many grounds, both in the u.k. and overseas, i like the option of seating or standing, maybe because i started going to footbal in the late 60's,i also like the togetherness,meeting and being with people who i know,it creates the atmosphere that has gone from football stadiums. i have been to many grounds outside the premier league that are still offering the paying customer the chance,i would pay the same price to sit or stand, ie Maccelsfield Town Vs Scuntorpe Town i had a choice.
  • Options
    Only Man U and Arsenal have massive debts based on 60-70000 seats sold every week - every one else (maybe not Chelsea or West Ham) would love to rip out seats in their home ends and replace with twice the capacity of standing room - cheaper prices but more punters/beers sold/shirts and away fans etc etc - ffs Liverpool are planning a move instead of restoring a 50,000 capacity at Anfield and we're talking silly money for an extra few thousand.

This government need the popular vote and might just bite?
  • Options
    Oh I know it has nothing to do with H&S but this country is full of halfwit people who will oppose it on those grounds.

I am all for it.
  • Options
    I don't think there's much chance of ripping out seats and miraculously doubling capacity. If anything capacity might even go down, or at best stay the same. The days of packed terraces, surges, etc have gone for good.

Also agree with comments here about the pricing. Even if standing was to be cheaper you can bet your life that this would be because the seating prices went up - to pay for the conversion work - rather than the standing price coming down.

You have to feel sorry for our Premier League clubs. After all, it's not like they've got much money is it? PArticularly next year when this new deal comes in!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Taylor suggested that seating prices should be pegged to keep tickets affordable. A cost of inflation increase in the cheapest seats would mean a price of around £15. Compare that to £20 at CAFC and not too far off but £26 at Palace and £28 at Millwall. Then there's £32 at Arsenal, £36 at Man Utd. I could go on.

The Football Licensing Authority (FLA) are very anti standing in seats and I can see their point. Standing in seats with no barriers is an accident waiting to happen and I fear that in the UK we need a major incident before anyone will take decisive and radical action to change.

The FLA have the minister demanding a solution to the problem but they can't force 3000 mancs or scousers to sit. At many clubs the attitude is that it is less bother to let them get on with it. However LB Greenwich don't take that view and expect regulations to be inforced.

At CAFC the arguement is won. The board would have German style combi-seating given the money to do it but it needs either a change in the law or a pilot scheme to be authorised by the Govt and FLA. It is the 2nd that I think is a possibility albeit remote just now and not because of the current league position. My own view is that if the Govt, FLA and LBG all said OK and CAFC had the cash to convert there would still be opposition from other clubs who would fear their own fans demanding similar but that is not based on any information just a view. There is also a vocal Hillbrough justice lobby that would make it difficult.
  • Options
    what about when the lower league teams get plum cup ties against top opposition. there is usually standing in much less sophisticated stadia and the majority of the time there are no incidents
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, by "vocal Hillbrough justice lobby" are you referring to our scouse friends? The same scousers that demand "justice" in relation to Hillsbrough but have done nothing about getting "justice" in relation to Heysel - or else hundreds of them would be banged up. Selective memory is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    I would say the Hillsborough lobby, are the types who whenever the terracing debate is raised, accuse people of wanting "another hillsborough".

No one wants that to happen again, hence why the Germans worked out an solution which designed out all the risks assoiscated with the dangerous terracing we used to have.
  • Options
    Stand up, if you want to sit down/Stand up, if you want to sit down....etc etc etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Henry, by "vocal Hillbrough justice lobby" are you referring to our scouse friends? The same scousers that demand "justice" in relation to Hillsbrough but have done nothing about getting "justice" in relation to Heysel - or else hundreds of them would be banged up. Selective memory is a wonderful thing.

As Rothko will tell you, when he went on the radio last night the reaction from a journalist was "so you want another Hillsborough". That will always be thrown at people advocating standing depsite the findings of Taylor that terracing is not "intrinsically unsafe". What is unsafe is standing in seating areas, fences, badly designed exits and entrances, poorly trained stewards and policed, etc, etc.

Don't disagree about the double standard of some Liverpool fans and others who still blame the Juve fans for "running".
  • Options
    Call me naive if you like, but Hillsborough (disregarding whether it was late drunk fans or the police) wasn't due to the terracing, it was due to the fences surrounding the pitch. If the fences hadn't have been there, people could have spilled onto the pitch rather that get crushed against the wire mesh. A crush in an all seater stadium seems far more dangerous to me, people tripping over seats etc.
    I know what I think caused that tragedy, it was reported widely on the day. However once the extent of life loss became apparent, no one wanted to admit it. Much easier to blame bad policing 100%, rather than excepting that the police were only part of the matter.
  • Options
    seats = control. harder to keep an eye on the fans when they can move around an open terrace. the white male football fan still isn't to be trusted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Just been on 5 live talking about the reintroduction of Safe Standing.

I'm national lad, you regional upstart ;0)

But did you get a plug in for CharltonLife or have a dig at Tango Man? ;-)
  • Options
    Charlton mention, so that's good enough.

Quicker interview then the rambling you get on the regional stuff.