Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

After Six Games

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Same points as Sheff Wed one point behind Huddersfield, with the amount of changes we have had I agree with Parky its a good start. I think as time goes on we could be pushing for a play of place which would be good.

Comments

• Options
    Last season at this point we had won every game had 18 points in the bag and yes it was still a new team with a complete new central defensive pairing and yes people were still moaning. Was last seasons 6 wins in a row really so bad that people had to moan. I'm of the opinion now that this 1st 11 is not as good as last years and certainly the whole squad isn't. Not sure i agree with Parky its an average start and without what seems to have been a lucky win today it would have been a below average start.
  • Options
    Weve lost some quality... no question...

I feel we might sneak into the playoffs...

Its gonna be a chalenge this year, and some bad results along the way...

I think we are going to be here for a few yrs and all that comes with that... we dont have enough in the squad to be a proper automatic promotion threat, UNLESS we havnt seen what is fully on offer from these players, if Abbot broke his duck, if Benson knocked in a couple and got confident , then that could change things...

We wil see but our goalscorers need to get going or else its mid table..
  • Options
    I completely agree Mascott our forwards really need to step up to the plate. The only difference is last year they wasn't under such pressure because goals were coming from everywhere. Now we seem dependent most of the time on the forwards
  • Options
    Still feel it is too early too have much of an opinion, because of the amount of changes to the team.

Feel we are a lot more effective with Waggy in the team, and as of yet Abbott, and Benson have to find there form!.

Solly, must be feeling pretty upset as well, after his start!

When we play on the wings we look effective, when we play through the middle we do not!, or have not.

The free kicks need to be a lot better and at least effective, which is something that could/should be worked on in training.

I thought for long passages of play yesterday we were very ineffective, A lot of work on the training ground this week guys!
  • Options
    Comparing this season v last season like for like, as much as can be done, we're on par

http://hilltovalley.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Still feel it is too early too have much of an opinion, because of the amount of changes to the team.

Feel we are a lot more effective with Waggy in the team, and as of yet Abbott, and Benson have to find there form!.

Solly, must be feeling pretty upset as well, after his start!

When we play on the wings we look effective, when we play through the middle we do not!, or have not.

The free kicks need to be a lot better and at least effective, which is something that could/should be worked on in training.

I thought for long passages of play yesterday we were very ineffective, A lot of work on the training ground this week guys!

Ken who would you replace for Wagstaff, would you keepthe same formation?
  • Options
    For 'goalscoring' read 'creativity in midfield'.

This squad is going nowhere until Parkinson realises that two wingers plus Semedo and McCormack in the middle isn't going to create enough.

We have a Shelvey-shaped hole in central midfield.

With what we've got, I'd try Martin at the front of a midfield diamond. Semedo at the base.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Agree with this. Yesterday we had two defensive midfielders in the centre, so all out attacking play and creativity must come from the wings, but more often than not the defence yesterday were playing through the middle. Martin in the middle with Semedo and Wagstaff on the wing would give us options going forward both outwide and through the centre
  • Options
    Ken who would you replace for Wagstaff, would you keepthe same formation?......Kap 10 quote

Well, I think Parky will stick with Benson and Abbott for the next couple of games, perhaps sub them again just after half time, if they do not score......say 70 mins.

with Sodje/Wagstaff.

I would play Martin behind the front two as others have suggested, and keep Reid on the wings with Waggy, and Semedo in the middle.
    That leaves Solly, who I would play in the cup games, and with the less physical teams, and drop Francis to the bench.....

I would like to see Jon Fortune in there somehow, playing alonside Dailly.

Personally speaking I like to have a settled side, especially the defence, and just swap the wingers and the forwards. ( I am not one for the rotation system) but alway's like to use the subs........

Let us hope it 'clicks' soon, because at present it is more of a 'clunk'......but a case of early days, and too many new players,!
  • Options
    and some teams have already scored double the amount we have scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and there's still another 40 games in the season to possibly set those few goals straight.
  • Options
    Every other top six team last year had one or more 20 plus goalscorers. We still don 't have one of those (as far as I can see from afar) and without that it'll be tough.
  • Options
    Jury still out. Obviously squad weaker than last year (financially driven). Still think we should manage play off spot but unlikely top 2. Although this will rely on one of strikers coming good. Optimistic Benson once he settles down. Looks like the league will be tighter than this year and the amount to get a play off spot could be 10 or maybe even 15 points less than last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Jury still out.

Exactly.

Things might not seem perfect at the moment, but it appears amongst our fanbase we've about 5,000 who all seemed to do their UEFA A Standard coaching badges over the summer.

Things take time to come together with so many changes. Whether they will come together or not is yet to be seen, but it appears some people have made their minds up already that it won't.
  • Options
    I think that the squad will get stronger and gel as the season progresses.

I remember last season after we won our opening 6 games everybody was complaining that we had'nt played a decent time of any note, this season we have played 5 teams in the top 13, does that make our start as good as last season?
  • Options
    Incidenatlly the bookies think we're for a play off spot. We're fifth faves with ladbrookes and sixth faves with betfred at 12/1 and 16/1 to win it. The top 4 are way ahead - being Swed, hudds, peeboro and the south coast crap. brighton are the othe bet to fill the play off places. Swindon seem to be written off already partic by Ladbrookes which is a bit odd
  • Options
    early days, ok start but its going to be very tight this year and whether we go up will depend on the games against the top sides i think alot of teams will take points of each other this year and its going to be tougher then last year. I think we can do it though just need those strikers to get a couple of goals each and confidence
  • Options
    to ken from bexley, m8 you forgot joe anyinsah in that subs mix ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Incidenatlly the bookies think we're for a play off spot. We're fifth faves with ladbrookes and sixth faves with betfred at 12/1 and 16/1 to win it. The top 4 are way ahead - being Swed, hudds, peeboro and the south coast crap. brighton are the othe bet to fill the play off places. Swindon seem to be written off already partic by Ladbrookes which is a bit odd

Sorry, I think oohaah's assessment is much more accurate 0% chance of Automatic Promotion is about right at the moment.
  • Options
    to ken from bexley, m8 you forgot joe anyinsah in that subs mix ;) quote Uie2

Did not forget, just feel that Parky will want to play Abbott and Benson, and in fairness to Benson he has only been here 5 minutes, so really does need time.

I am sure Joe will get his chance, but may have to wait until a cup game or injury just yet.

I have not seen enough of any of these players to have a definate starting 11. Perhaps Parky does not even know!

Injuries aside, it is a long season and the manager has to be the one who selects the players. We all think we can pick the team!, trouble is in reality I doubt we know the half of it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As soon as I got the sms with the line up I thought...ok, except I wouldnt pair McCormack and Semedo together and I dont rate Francis, other than that we should be playing as a team...which we didnt look anything like doing on Saturday.