Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pawell Abbott

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Looking at him on Saturday, and at other home games, im starting to worry that he isnt actually as good as parky makes him out to be.
it seems he can hold up a ball... Sometimes. It may be just me but it seems as though he completely relies on the defender to hold him up?
may just be me, i just wanted to know if im alone in thinking this.

Comments

• Options
    I think he puts in a lot of effort but his lack of control and especially pace is so evident . Having said that Benson looked worse on Saturday.
  • Options
    His acceleration does look pony and benson hasn't impressed yet too. But they're getting no service. McCormack and Semedo are too similar in that neither take the game to the opposition. Thats why i think we need to have racon cm with semedo, or jackson with semedo. Martin and Reid are threats, i just dont think with the current team that they're actually playing their positions. Martin constantly drifts in and the space we leave in those areas is where we are vulnerable.
  • Options
    Abbot and Benson were awful on Saturday, Abbott worked hard but is simply not good enough, Benson is about as fast the tide! Akpo up front with Martin just behind him next game please Parky.
  • Options
    Still early days in both Abbott and Bensons Charlton careers, hope they both get their first league goals soon. Also we were very lucky to have Deon last season who imho was one of the divisions best forwards, even when not fully fit.

I know Abbott has played in all 6 league games but he has had 3 different partners which cannot have helped and it is hardly as if he has been missing a tremendous amount of chances. Judging by Benson and Abbotts records previously, if we create chances for them they will score goals. Therefore the problem lies more with the so called creators.

It is worrying that in our last two home games, I cannot recall the opposition keepers making too many saves (if any).
  • Options
    Early days, but all the players now put the effort in and thats all we can ask as the team gels. It will come and you can see what Parky is trying to do, I don't think its going to happen this year but maybe next (if we keep all, and add a couple). Its a completely new squad so we must give them time, it may still get worse before it gets better, but i think it will improve. Benson was a little worrying, and so is Francis.....but again they need time. I will back them always as long as they keep trying and working for each other.
  • Options
    problem is centre midfield. We could have Torres and Bent up front and we wouldn't score. Esp at home with Semedo in the side we can afford to Martin in there as the creative player. With a McCormack/Semedo partnership there is no creativity. Marginally better with Racon on but let's not kid ourselves he isn't very creative either. Martin could work, if not maybe we need a loanee for what I think is the last piece of the jigsaw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]problem is centre midfield. We could have Torres and Bent up front and we wouldn't score. Esp at home with Semedo in the side we can afford to Martin in there as the creative player. With a McCormack/Semedo partnership there is no creativity. Marginally better with Racon on but let's not kid ourselves he isn't very creative either. Martin could work, if not maybe we need a loanee for what I think is the last piece of the jigsaw.

Exactly what I was saying on Saturday, obvious that we need a "pivot" in there who can collect and feed the wings/forwards and link up by taking a pass from the defenders and move it on into attacking situations. Neither Semedo or McCormack seem capable enough to do this (although as "defensive" midfielders they are effective) and Martin could be the answer. Abbott / Benson only had one decent ball in from wide all game that I can remember and suffered as we were just not fluent enough in moving the ball into dangerous situations for their defense to deal with. Racon improved it slightly in the second half, but we need a real playmaker in there somehow.
  • Options
    Racon changed the way we played, we played football with him, hoofed it without. He's no Fabregas in terms of creating chances, but he offers an outlet to pass to, and therefore starts to run the game. I think him playing in front of Semedo at home, with 3 of Anyinsah, Martin, Wagstaff and Reid on the pitch will create a lot of problems, and then we just need Abbott, Benson or Sodje to be a focal point and start scoring, they are all as bad as eachother at the moment though
  • Options
    Abbott wasn't great but Mr Tierney offered him no protection at all in my view. The Notts County centre back (s) had an arm round his neck nearly every time.
  • Options
    i agree with cafcdan18
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Abbot and Benson, on Saturday's showing both looked utter tripe but i'm sure there must be more to come. On the 2 home games i've been to this season (Saturday and Oldham), i don't know the exact stats but can't think we've had more than 5 shots at goal in total. We don't have a proper centre midfield player in the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]problem is centre midfield. We could have Torres and Bent up front and we wouldn't score. Esp at home with Semedo in the side we can afford to Martin in there as the creative player. With a McCormack/Semedo partnership there is no creativity. Marginally better with Racon on but let's not kid ourselves he isn't very creative either. Martin could work, if not maybe we need a loanee for what I think is the last piece of the jigsaw.

Totally agree with this. Semedo and Mac are way too similar and at home we don't need the pair of them. I could understand them both playing away at say Peterborough or Southampton but at home there's no need. We should be playing a midfield diamond with Semedo holding, Reid and Wagstaff wide and Martin playing at the tip of it, just off the front 2.

I said after one game i thought Abbott was a bit sh*t and i've seen nothing since to make me change my mind. Sodje did more in 5-10 minutes than Abbott did in the previous 80. Having said that, Abbott does hold the ball up well, and his game is probably reliant on us getting crosses into the box, something we don't do enough of.
  • Options
    With regards to Benson, the daggers boss did say that he is all about scoring from crosses. He said if you get the crosses in then he will score a loads. We have never been a team that is decent at crossing so we do need to work on that more!
  • Options
    And he is spot on

Everytime i watched the Daggers if they did not create Benson looked like a passenger so far he looks exactly the same player.

My biggest concern is that he has said that he has had to adapt to a new style of play..

Q1.. What is our Style?

Q2. Why pay money for a player that can score goals from a certain style of play and then ask him to change that Style?

Q3. Are we going to change the way we set up in training to adapt to Bensons style?

Worrying for me this i excpected us to try to create more to adapt to Bensons style unfortunatly that does not seem the case.

I said on Saturday it is not like we are a team trying to gel, A team that is trying to gel tries things that dont pay off but you can see the idea that they are trying.

Saturday first half especially we looked like a team with no cohesion not understanding of where or what they were trying to do

2nd half we got widder and tried to build from there Reidy put 2 killer balls into the box with no one getting on the end and Martin tried to switch from cutting in to going wide.

There was a lot of frustration on show Saturday only time will tell i suppose but i can see this taking a long time and i dont think We or Parky has that time
  • Options
    I think we do have time, depending on the objective and for me that is play off. Because we were poor at home against some of the poorer teams in the division last season we should be able to pick up points in corresponding games this season, in fact last season we only really did well against mid table teams. At the moment we are on par with where we were in equivalent games last season, if we do improve our cohesion which should come with more games then I do not see a play off place as an issue.

That said Parkie has to be a bit bolder and make the gelling happen not assume it is a natural occurrence of playing more matches.
  • Options
    The objective Kap is promotion i will take it via the playoffs but i would prefer not if i could.

if we dont go up this year who knows what will happen next
  • Options
    Agreed, Benson looked lost on Saturday however he made some decent runs. I'd like to see him & Abbott get games from the start and use Akpo from the bench for now. In Reid, Martin & Abbott we've got some decent footballing brains and do think it can work.

Re Parky, RM's notes on Saturday suggest this is a massive season and I think he might be prepared to do something about it if it's not happening on the pitch.
  • Options
    Clearly he's never going to run the channels or sprint in behind but he (Abbott) appears to have the necessary attributes to be the target / hold-up man that the runners & Benson can play off. I'd just like him to put in a lot more than his first half v Notts. Perhaps he should also be getting off the ground better; Benson at least managed to flick on a few long balls. I'm not about to slag him off; 2 lovely striker's goals at Shrewsbury, but let's just see how much it means to him, as he said, to play for a club like Charlton. A bit more aggreession wouldn't go amiss - so far his oppo cb's have had it too easy. Nod one in and take it from there (though admittedly he could do with a few more accurate crosses to do it from).