Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things can only get better...

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
and unlike half-time at Old Trafford all those years ago, I believe they will this time:

Francis is already getting better - and I'm sure there's more to come.
Jackson is a quality player covering out of position - more to come.
Fry is very young and inexperienced, yet already looks mature and composed - more to come.
Docherty will be prone to the odd error, but we still have his goals to come.
Dailly's eye socket can only get better. (We never know, Youga might even get better, too...)
Martin is desperate to grasp this chance - shown lots, but more end product to come. Ditto Reid. Ditto Wagstaff.
Abbott needs a goal to boost his confidence, ditto Benson. (Flanagan apparently scoed 1 in his first 25 matches for us, then got a hat trick and there was no stopping him...let's hope ot doesn't take 25 matches though..!)
Anyinsah has already shown what he can do in a match-winning cameo - more to come.

We have had a huge turnover in the playing staff - far more than any normal close season.

Keep the faith.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Fair points but I disagree about Francis and I think Wagstaff has already shown some end product at Orient and v Oldham.

Solly is yet to return meaning that a back four of

Solly Dailly Fortune and Youga are all unavailable. That is some defence
  • Options
    No they can't
  • Options
    Francis is NOT getting better - he is a joke!!
  • Options
    I have been distinctly unimpressed with Francis. But I've seen all his games except Hudds away & he is deifinitely getting better. Saturdays' performance was his best & Exeter away was his second best. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    Very well said, everyone will improve day by day and this will become a quality team, i'm sure of it.
    Once Abbott, Benson, Martin and Reid get one they'll setlle down and we'll become a much better team.
    Really looking forward to this season once they gel into a team. All our strikers can get into double figures with ease this season, Reid is looking for double figures too. Martin and Waggy chipping in and Racon saying he wants to score more goals. Not to mention the goals that we'll get from the defenders. As long as they gel quickly, we'll improve dramatically and as long as they provide the service, we WILL score goals.

Once this side becomes a team. I'm excited about whats to come. Got to keep the faith, we've only played 6 games btw.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    On the subject of Francis: Let's not write him off just yet. He didn't have a pre season to speak of so is possibly playing a bit of catch-up. He is also playing in a developing team with a number of other new players.

I'll leave it a few games before being too judgmental. The same goes for the likes of Abbott although we have seen more of him.
  • Options
    Simon will get better. He is a quality player who, given the understanding of the right mid and right-centre mid will be able to overlap and produce quality crosses. Currently, Martin tends to play too far infield to allow Simon space to overlap and Waggy plays too wide so there is no room. He is quick enough to not get skinned by wingers although, like all rb's, he can be exposed by 2-on-ones. He has a good tackle and learns. At Sheff U, Grimsby & Southend he had no coaching. The great thing about Charlton is that he is getting that coaching and will improve.

The cross for Macca's goal at the O's was no fluke. He is strong on both feet.

Playing with a new team, with no pre-season takes time. Give him time.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I presume you are family and hope you are right.
  • Options
    hope you're right chris , love is blind and fairplay for you sticking up for your brother/relative ......
  • Options
    I hope youre right Chris....nobody on here wants us to perform badly, but having had the last 4-5 years that we have, everyone is getting edgy. I hope sincerely that you dont take any of this personally, its just that we have seen so many players come and underperform we, I think, are understandably nervous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Francis had a decent game on Saturday, bit of hive brain going on about him with some, who have made there minds up on him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]I hope youre right Chris....nobody on here wants us to perform badly.

Oh that's not true
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I thought Francis had a decent game on Saturday, bit of hive brain going on about him with some, who have made there minds up on him

:-)

I didnt think he played well at all, but sincerely hope we/he improve....I just think after Solly's performances he derserves to be playing when Simon obviously isnt yet up to scratch.....we need to put out the in form players...not the favourites as I mentioned elsewhere. I think those that want to see us get worse are a very small minority.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I thought Francis had a decent game on Saturday, bit of hive brain going on about him with some, who have made there minds up on him
    I agree with every word of that Rothko. I can see a very decent young player in Simon Francis. The only thing most people seem to have against him is that he's keeping an INJURED Chris Solly out of the team!! Bizarre.
  • Options
    Solly wasnt injured when Simon came in...otherwise he wouldnt have scored the third goal at Orient ...I hope Simon is a great player....he just isnt at the moment.....time will tell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Solly wasnt injured when Simon came in...otherwise he wouldnt have scored the third goal at Orient ...I hope Simon is a great player....he just isnt at the moment.....time will tell.

But Solly had played two games in a week, so Parky decided he needed the rest. He didn't look too upset when he came on and scored.

Welcome to the site, Chris, and thanks for your considered views. You'll need to be thick-skinned on here if you are close to a player - unfortunately there are a few blinkered people who are very quick to judge! You might want to seek out "uncle" (Jonjo Shelvey's) for some tips on how to cope!! He still seems to stick around with us Addicks even though JJ has headed off to the bright lights of Liverpool. So I guess we can't all be that bad ;-)
  • Options
    Sometime when you write a player off it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. He had a decent game on Saturday, I thought -not fantastic but no worse than anybody else and better than some. Ok, a lot of us would like to see Solly in but we shouldn't allow that to cloud our judgement.

As for the team getting better - for me it largely rests on chance creation - we are currently not creating enough to win the number of games we need to. Joe and Ackpo might change things, giving us a more direct, physical threat. It might not but we need to see how that pans out. Certainly Abbott and Benson is not a partnership we can pursue -too slow and too alike but Ackpo and Benson say might be a good mix.

I really believe this division is about creating chances- If you create enough, the defences are not good enough to keep them all out -whether that be from errors or just good play. Defensively we are probably as good as anybody so we get the front bit right, we should be up there. Certainly we do need to change the game though - did you notice how Sodje made things happen with his energy on Saturday - when the defence feels less comfortable, errors kreep in. Of course he was fresh and the question is can him and Joe threaten from the start.

I will be pretty upset with Parky if he doesn't start with the team that finished on Saturday. Whether it is the right formula, we wont know but the previous formula we can be pretty sure isn't. My gut feeling which tends to be more right than wrong is that we have a dynamic in that striking partnership that could be productive so I am hopeful of getting better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Solly wasnt injured when Simon came in...otherwise he wouldnt have scored the third goal at Orient ...I hope Simon is a great player....he just isnt at the moment.....time will tell.

But Solly had played two games in a week, so Parky decided he needed the rest. He didn't look too upset when he came on and scored.

fair points BUT Francis was poor in both of those games and yet the following Saturday he kept a then fit Solly out of the team. I have seen nothing since to say that Francis is improving and, whether his relative posts on here or not, I think he's crap.
  • Options
    And sometimes your comments are crap, Large ;-)

This thread wasn't meant to be just about Francis...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]And sometimes your comments are crap, Large ;-)

This thread wasn't meant to be just about Francis...

I think we have all been guilty of that at some point...
    :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope those who think that some players will improve are correct.

I'm yet to be convinced by a few including Francis but writing him off or ignoring the positive contributions he has made is wrong.

The most interesting point for me was Chris's statement that

"At Sheff U, Grimsby & Southend he had no coaching. The great thing about Charlton is that he is getting that coaching and will improve."

Now cynics will say that that means our coaching is rubbish and we should just let him play. Others will see that as an indication that we are trying to improve the players we have.
  • Options
    Didnt JJ comment that our coaching was poor though....Im no one judge as I dont hold any professional qulaifications, but I think our positioning is poor, the tactics can be questionable and our set pieces look poor too.....is this down to the players being unfamiliar to each other, and if so how long does it take? or are we seeing a bit of dejavue (sp)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Didnt JJ comment that our coaching was poor though....Im no one judge as I dont hold any professional qulaifications, but I think our positioning is poor, the tactics can be questionable and our set pieces look poor too.....is this down to the players being unfamiliar to each other, and if so how long does it take? or are we seeing a bit of dejavue (sp)

Agree on the set pieces and that has been the case for a long time.

Some of the rest will be down to players being unfamiliar with each other. This is most clearly shown when Solly plays with Waggy. Both look better players than when playing with A N Other and, IMHO, that is due to them having played together for so long in the youth and other sides.
  • Options
    I havent been yet this season due to my own football commitments on a saturday afternoon, so CL is my source for how players are playing at the moment and ive been suprised by the lack of comments and opinions regarding Kyle Reid.

I went to most games last season and i thought he was the one that would really shine this season. So far it appears from reports and ratings that he has been pretty average apart from the first half against Bournemouth.

I watched the game on Sky against Orient and thought he was poor but we all know wingers are prone to the odd shocker. I know only a handful of games played but i thought he would be the one grabbing headlines this year.
  • Options
    Actually things can get worse. We have performed poorly against some of the weakest sides in the division, including those promoted this year, what will happen when we face those with decent squads? Top six looks doubtful.

If we don’t win promotion we face yet another year in this league with a smaller budget and the probable loss of players like Racon, Semedo and Youga at the very least. And Dailly will be 38, will he want another year in an under-performing team?

Finally we’ll be faced with another year of Parky, as he’ll have the excuse of having to develop an entirely new eleven, something he’’ll likely have to do next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Didnt JJ comment that our coaching was poor though....Im no one judge as I dont hold any professional qulaifications, but I think our positioning is poor, the tactics can be questionable and our set pieces look poor too.....is this down to the players being unfamiliar to each other, and if so how long does it take? or are we seeing a bit of dejavue (sp)

Agree on the set pieces and that has been the case for a long time.

Some of the rest will be down to players being unfamiliar with each other. This is most clearly shown when Solly plays with Waggy. Both look better players than when playing with A N Other and, IMHO, that is due to them having played together for so long in the youth and other sides.

Yes they look very comfortable down the right....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Finally we’ll be faced with another year of Parky, as he’ll have the excuse of having to develop an entirely new eleven, something he’’ll likely have to do next season.

when's his contract up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Finally we’ll be faced with another year of Parky, as he’ll have the excuse of having to develop an entirely new eleven, something he’’ll likely have to do next season.

when's his contract up?
    End of this season.
  • Options
    Tel everything you have saiod of late is 100% where i am at the moment i think that all your posts have been spot on
  • Options
    Francis is an interesting one, I habvent been that impressed so far and a mate who is a Southend regular was pleased we took him off their hands - he was more worried about McCormack and of course Bailey previously - yet he also makes News of the World team of the week. A quality guide I know, but he must be doing something right!