Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P Eileen Nearne

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Trust me Tom, there is no difference between the service she would have got and thousands of others when a Local Authority makes the arrangements. Each and every one of them gets a decent, dignified send off in accordance with their wishes.

I must admit that I didn't know what the arrangements would have been but it's nice to hear what you say above.
  • Options
    What an incredible lady....

As for the rest of the thread...what is all that guff about holding out in the Channel Islands? You saw what happened to Malta, right? The Channel Islands are a few miles off the coast of (then) occupied Normandy FFS!

As for fall the talk of CO's..although I admire many of these principled folk who put themselves in harms way, it also makes me feel uneasy. Evil must be confronted and destroyed, whether it's fighting Hitler or the Taliban. We are lucky that other folk have been prepared to do that. It may be hackneyed, but the phrase 'freedom isn't free' sums it up. I know that others have paid the price for our freedom. We shouldn't ever lose sight of that.

Thankfully people like Eileen were prepared to fight for more than the people in their family or their close friends. As far as I am concerned, she (and countless others) did what she did so that you and me (who have never met her) could live in freedom, and I am incredibly grateful for that.
    RIP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Trust me Tom, there is no difference between the service she would have got and thousands of others when a Local Authority makes the arrangements. Each and every one of them gets a decent, dignified send off in accordance with their wishes.

As the person sitting opposite me has responsibility for arranging Assisted Burials, as they are called, I can confirm what BDL say's. If you attended one you wouldn't know the difference but I'm still pleased the remarkable lady in question is getting an appropriate service and a relative has been found. My own feelings on why the LA should pay for a funeral service when close relatives are around but refuse to pay are best left unsaid, particularly when these same relatives then start making demands as to what type of service, when, where, carried out by who and then want to chose the most expensive headstone at the council tax payers expense.
  • Options
    Eileen Nearne had no money...like you are her accountant.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

As the person sitting opposite me has responsibility for arranging Assisted Burials, as they are called, I can confirm what BDL say's. If you attended one you wouldn't know the difference but I'm still pleased the remarkable lady in question is getting an appropriate service and a relative has been found. My own feelings on why the LA should pay for a funeral service when close relativesarearound but refuse to pay are best left unsaid, particularly when these same relatives then start making demands as to what type of service, when, where, carried out by who and then want to chose the most expensive headstone at the council tax payers expense.

So I guess that she/he's your officer responsible for work carried out under section 46 of the 1984 Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act.