Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can't be true, can it ??

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
from the Newsshopper :

JOE Anyinsah became only the fourth player in Charlton history to score after making his debut as a substitute when he netted the winner against Notts County on Saturday.

However, he was second player to achieve the feat this season, following in the footsteps of Matt Fry against Huddersfield Town last month.

The other two players were Marcus Bent and Jay Bothroyd in 2005/06.

so subs came in when, 1971, and from then until 2005 not one sub scored on their debut. Don't believe it.

Comments

• Options
    The only bit I find unbelivable is that Marcus Bent scored!
  • Options
    Was this on the CAFC twitter at the weekend?
  • Options
    1965 as Keith Peacock may remember : - )

I'm guessing they got that stat from Colin Cameron so I'd think it was correct.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]1965 as Keith Peacock may remember : - )

so in 40 years not a single sub scored on their debut. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    But remember in a lot of that time there was only one sub - also making it less likely that the one sub would be a debutant. Now with three subs out of seven, the odds will have increased substantially, I guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]1965 as Keith Peacock may remember : - )

so in 40 years not a single sub scored on their debut. Unbelievable.

What if he was married?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]But remember in a lot of that time there was only one sub - also making it less likely that the one sub would be a debutant. Now with three subs out of seven, the odds will have increased substantially, I guess.

And also that sub would only come on in the event of injury. It was quite a while before "tactical" substitutions were allowed.
  • Options
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=36792&page=1#Item_2

SINK LARGE!!!!!! :-)
  • Options
    despite the valid points that Weegie makes I still find that incredible.
  • Options
    Didn't Kandol score on his debut? Took it round the keeper? Or did he play before that..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't see why this is so shocking, there can't be many players that score on their debut after coming on as a sub.
  • Options
    70 players (out of 713) have scored on their debuts.

So a 1 in 10 chance of it happening.
  • Options
    Johansson scored on his debut against Southampton. He came on as a sub.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What about John Hendry v Millwall? Had he played before coming on as a sub
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Johansson scored on his debut against Southampton. He came on as a sub.

Came on as sub v Arsenal the game before when we lost 3 - 5
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]What about John Hendrie v Millwall? Had he played before coming on as a sub

yes, twice, once as a sub
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sweaty Balmer scored an own goal on his CAFC debut. Not a sub though. Has any sub done that?

I was thinking Bartlett and Pringle off the top of my head (not own goal) but could well be wrong.
  • Options
    It'll be less than 1/10 when you add the caveat that A) they have less time to score in (as a sub) and B) a large percentage will make debuts not as a sub.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dylanthedog[/cite]It'll be less than 1/10 when you add the caveat that A) they have less time to score in (as a sub) and B) a large percentage will make debuts not as a sub.

True, meant for any debut. Will be a lot less for subs (4 in 713 to be precise)
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]

I was thinking Bartlett and Pringle off the top of my head but could well be wrong.

both played as subs in the previous game then scored in their 2nd games