Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere vs. Charlton (18/9/10) - Preview, Poll, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
A somewhat tepid performance against Notts County still resulted in three points – that’s all that is important right?

Seemingly not. Once again, especially in the first half we looked like a team devoid of ideas and creativity and got away as a result of some woeful finishing from Lee Hughes, an excellent penalty save from the now injured Robbie Elliot and a debut goal from Joe Anyinsah.

Other than that the game was – well – pretty boring. Credit to Parkinson, come half time he did the right thing by breaking up the ineffectual midfield combination of McCormack and Semedo and bringing on Racon but will he take that team into this weekend’s game at Tranmere? I’ve got a funny feeling he will.

With Robbie having a funny elbow we are in a race against time to find an experienced keeper to put between the sticks but the rest of the back four is likely to remain the same. Despite the returning Jon Fortune playing 90 minutes in a midweek friendly, Matt Fry (penalty aside) put in an assured and confident display alongside Doc and will more than likely retain his place. Francis and Jackson will continue at full backs.

Away from home, Parky will not even think about the NLA credited 3-5-2 so I can see a similar midfield as last week with Racon coming in for McCormack. I see no reason to drop either Martin or Reid.

I don’t think anyone would have any qualms with either Benson or Abbott being dropped although it could be argued Benson has only been here 5 minutes so deserves some time. Pawel however has looked ineffective and maybe he needs some time on the bench – if so I can see Akpo coming back into the fold. His pace, strength and enthusiasm seems to scare defenders in this league and him and Benson could be the partnership we are looking for…

With Wagstaff, Abbott and Anyinsah amongst the substitutes we can change it up if need be

Tranmere was somewhere we won comfortably last year and with them have a very indifferent start to the season it’s a game, on paper, we should win.

And we will. 2-1.

Comments

• Options
    Disappointing draw, 0-0.
  • Options
    For some random reason i know quite a few Tranmere fans, so i'm keeping my finger crossed for a win.

2 - 0 Charlton
  • Options
    I like Akpo so hopefully a relatively comfortable 1-0 win with him to score the winner- but Tranmere are not pushovers and I don't expect anything more than 2-0.
  • Options
    A win.

The team selection will be intriguing.

A whole first choice back five (Elliot, Solly, Dailly, Fortune, Youga) unavailable but the questions will all be around centre mid and upfront.

Can Super Joe and Akpo reproduce what they did for 15 mins over 90?

Will we go more attacking with Racon or shore up the middle with McCormack?

Where will Martin play and what about Wagstaff?

And who's going in goals? Stick or rush?
  • Options
    A less convincing win than last season but a win nonetheless.

Also fancy us to top last years monster turnout, maybe even 500
  • Options
    same as last year, 4-0 to Charlton
  • Options
    If we were at home then the team would change, but I reckon it will be the same starting 11 (keeper aside)

unfortunately I can see us losing this one
  • Options
    1-1 and we're still gelling as a team and the best is yet to come
  • Options
    I honestly don't know.
  • Options
    We've been second-best in the Central Midfield for long spells of the last 3 games. Wouldn't be surprised if we start with a 4-5-1, with Racon joining Semedo & McCormack as a three man central midfield, Martin & Reid out wide & Abbott as the lone centre-forward.

If we get to 60 mins level, then a switch to 4-4-2, with Benson and Sodje off the bench.

A poor start is to be avoided and we can't afford another defeat for a while.

Not sure about Worner. Caught in "no-mans land" on the first goal at Huddersfield, which unsettled the back four. Good shot-stopper, but lacks height & strength. I'd expect an experienced loan keeper before Saturday.

Also, the full backs need "to get their fingers out", distribution has been poor on both sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 for me

Same as last week with Racon in for Mccormack, would stick with new forwards as i think they need a bit more time and service and hopefully therry can create some for them

Would bring on Akpo if either look ineffective, think he does better of the bench. same with Waggy and swap with either reid or martin, be nice to see tuna on the bench too but cant see it happenning. so if both are ineffective then we can put him on aswell

Improved performance but tough place to go so would be happy with the draw
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to see Akpo start because I think Abbot has been poor. The only good game Abbot has had was against Bournemouth. Charlton to win 1-0 with the goal coming from Semedo.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Pawal is going to score 2 goals tomorrow, don't know why as he has been crap so far for us. 2-0 to charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I have a feeling Pawal is going to score 2 goals tomorrow, don't know why as he has been crap so far for us. 2-0 to charlton.

Abbott unlikely to play due to calf strain.
  • Options
    Worried about the goalkeeping situation.

Worried about not creating enough chances.

Worried about our record in the north west.

Scrappy as hell and a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I have a feeling Pawal is going to score 2 goals tomorrow, don't know why as he has been crap so far for us. 2-0 to charlton.[/quote]

Abbott unlikely to play due to calf strain.[/quote]

Did I say Abbott, I mean Benson :)
  • Options
    If Abbott isn't playing I think that gives us a better chance. I'm in the minority but I'd take Sodje over him any day.

The fact Tranmere are direct might favour our defence, which are strong in this department.

I fancy a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I won't be happy unless the performance is better.

If we somehow manage to nick a win playing the same way as last week then . I will be thankfull but worried.

Imo we won't win playing as we did last week .

I expect a 2 nil comfortable win to us

I predict a 2_1 to tranmere Home win with us creating little scoring from a freekick late in the game to give the score line a look of unluckyness for people to cling on too

Wss great summary buddy
  • Options
    I'll accept nothing less than a 4-0 win....
  • Options
    well this is a much needed game as tranmere are one of the worst sides in this league and any self respecting side will roll them over quite comfortably and we should be no exception really. though i'd imagine that parky just doesn't want to lose and will happily grind out a 0-0 which would delight tranmere no end as they are going down this year and will be grateful to any points they can get.

good luck to our travelling hordes who will probably witness another limpless display of attacking football, but if we can paper over the cracks and snatch a 1-0 victory,well woe betide anyone who is somewhat nonplussed to the result as all sorts of clichés will be thrown at them by the rose tinted cuckoo clan.

0-3 easy charlton win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we will be boring, ugly and disjointed, but will scrap out a 1-0. I'm of the logic that a few crappy wins in a row could force the team to be confident and gel, even if they do their upmost not to! I think parky will go for a 5man midfield, but personally i would still go 442, as tranmere are pretty awful so far this season. If it's still level after an hour (which it wont be, doherty will bury a header from a corner after 20-30 minutes), i'd bring on waggy and anyinsah to inject some pace.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think he'll stick with 4-4-2, especially with Abbott a doubt. I don't think any of them are suited to playing on their own. Will probably be Sodje with Benson, can't see Anyinsah and Benson starting together and I'd imagine Benson will get a decent run of starts.

I think we'll be a bit better than last week. Anything other than a comfortable win by a couple of goals will mean the same worries are still there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]tough place to go so would be happy with the draw

you are bluffing .......
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]well this is a much needed game as tranmere are one of the worst sides in this league

the truth
  • Options
    A Draw for me which means half of the supporters on here will be slitting their wrists or reaching for the Prozac or whining their arses off on here :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]tough place to go so would be happy with the draw

you are bluffing .......
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]well this is a much needed game as tranmere are one of the worst sides in this league

the truth

lol ooaah

I forgot that Ayninsah(whatever) so surely he should get the nod up front if Abbott isnt playing
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]well this is a much needed game as tranmere are one of the worst sides in this league and any self respecting side will roll them over quite comfortably and we should be no exception really. though i'd imagine that parky just doesn't want to lose and will happily grind out a 0-0 which would delight tranmere no end as they are going down this year and will be grateful to any points they can get.

good luck to our travelling hordes who will probably witness another limpless display of attacking football, but if we can paper over the cracks and snatch a 1-0 victory,well woe betide anyone who is somewhat nonplussed to the result as all sorts of clichés will be thrown at them by the rose tinted cuckoo clan.

?

0-3 easy charlton win.[/quote]
  • Options
    i am going and i think a 3-1 charlton win
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not looking forward to driving up with a hangover. Nothing a hedex and 3 points can't sort, 4-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    If we start with the side that finished the game on Saturday I'll go for a 2-0 win. If not- it will be closer.
  • Options
    Tranmere fans don't seem confident from what i've read. Someone reckons they've had about 8 shots on target all season
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!