Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hats off to Roy Harper

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
A great suprise to see him supporting Joanna Newsom at the Birmingham Symphony Hall on Friday. Still his refreshingly honest and chatty self. He played some great songs and his voice was sounding brilliant for someone who must be in his late sixties. His anger at the world and belief in change has not been dented, a great strong voice in a very cynical and numbed world.

Comments

• I was lucky enough to be at his Valentines concert on Valentines day (was it 1975?) at the Rainbow...to promote his LP called....Valentine. Great memory, acoustic set, orchestral set, rock set with Jimmy Page, and I think Keith Moon/John Bonham drums, and pretty sure it was John paul Jones on bass. I do remember a very drunk Bonham at the end during the encores suggesting that he and Roy Harper do a duet just vocals and drums. When an old cricketer huh?
  • Such a great voice. Glad he is still in the biz. Used to love his long anti-establishment rants in between songs. Still got all his early vintage LPS.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Such a great voice. Glad he is still in the biz. Used to love his long anti-establishment rants in between songs. Still got all his early vintage LPS.

Me, too. Although all upgraded to CD now.

Here's a 1978 performance of what to me is his finest song, I Hate The White Man (although the studio version on Flat Baroque and Berserk is better...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k899gOpzWRw&feature=related
  • Good old Roy.......I do rememmber he caught an 'infection' from a sheep....... now before you jump to the obvious...... he spent some time trying to be a shepherd, and gave one the kiss of life...... or so the fable goes, or at least I like to think, well it can get lonely on those hill farms I am told!.........

Yeah, liked his music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3AAxXyqOzg&feature=related

Great little song, a festival favourite of the 70s, apparently held in high regard by quite a few musicians!

Had a reputation as an awkward artist!...... good for him!
  • Yeah, I think 'I hate the white man' is Roys seminal song. Nothing else quite like it although Kevin Ayers used to sing:
    'And brown is the colour of skin,
    I would most like to be in,
    because it doesn't seem right,
    to be coloured so white.'
    Is Ben Harper, Roy's son any good? I have never seen him.
    I
  • He played Highway blues, Unknown soldier, Francesca, The green Man, and the whole of Me and My Woman. I saw him at the LSE in 1977 in grand form and at some impromptu events in London Parks, never without a spliff in his hand !

His son is Nick Harper who is a great live musician touring small venue and pubs relentlessly.