Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trevor Brennan

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2007
    anniversary of cantona kick on thursday btw, day after my half birthday.
    can't believe it was 12 years ago

and re: rugby. i like rugby league. less violent and more running. more action instead of kicking it out all the time.
  • Options
    Some of the Union teams average 8,000. Apologise if I am wrong. One of the worst instances of football violence I have ever seen was at Dartford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]anniversary of cantona kick on thursday btw, day after my half birthday.

half birthday??

as an aside, i am birthday boy on sunday in it!
  • Options
    Union for me, more of a game of strength.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SpongeBob[/cite]Well, you can drink beer while watching the game without fear of getting your head kicked in by rival supporters.

Not true. Lots of trouble at league games and some union games as well. another myth of rugby. You can drink and watch football up and down the country. I do it at Bromley who get the same sort of crowds as most big rugby clubs of both codes.

Not claiming any moral high ground just pointing out that rugby which so often does has not right to it as this incident shows. That incident at a football ground would have brought the reaction, and worse, that I was parodying. THe double standard is that Rooney is slated for chewing gum but rugby players can rake each other but that's OK cos they all drink aftershave in the bar afterwards

Rubbish, were is there loads of trouble at Rugby League games? the odd bit of trouble in Hull, but I don't see running battles at Saints v Wigan games, and I've never seen it at a union game. I have seen crowd trouble at Bromley though.

What's Bromley's average gate? What's Wasps, St Helens, Sales and Leicester average gates?

Only from AFC Wimbledon fans who come from SW London = Rugby territory. No idea how much trouble but there is trouble. With such small crowds of course there will be less violence in the crowd.

Bromley average about 900 but they play at level 7 not level 1 like the teams you name. below the top division rugby crowds are in three figures cos no one wants to watch such a violent, boring sport. FACT.

Plus rugby fans wear stone wash jeans and rugby shirts with the collars turned up for which they should all be arrested for crimes against fashion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]anniversary of cantona kick on thursday btw, day after my half birthday.

half birthday??

as an aside, i am birthday boy on sunday in it!

yes, i'm 26.5 tmrw
  • Options
    There are many more instances of both malicious player to player violence and crowd violence in Association football than in both Rugby Union and Rugby League.

Why that should be is worthy of a thread in it's own right but it is undeniably true.

I speak as a fan and former player of both sports and thus have no axe to grind one way or the other.
  • Options
    my ex's geeky brother was a bradford bulls fan, so i just want them to lose everything. silly northerners. he was from cheshire too!
  • Options
    hehe, think Blackheath get 300 or 400 at the lowest national level in this country.

And teams in that division get far more then Bromley.

Bromley fans cause the trouble with there palace inspried behaviour. So Bromley = Palace fan.

Oh dear! HAYES OUT!
  • Options
    I concur.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha ha. Still a dull sport. Dress it up anyway you like but it is. That's why the world plays football and about 8 countries play union and 2 maybe play league.
  • Options
    Coming from a man who thinks Baseball is a interesting sport!
  • Options
    Each to their own. Some people like cricket but i'd rather watch paint dry.
  • Options
    I'm a union man aswell. But having a beer at the rugby doesn't really count as a more 'honest' sport does it? I disagree with Henry above, i've never seen trouble at a Union game. Although Cardiff isn't the nicest place to watch a game with the locals!

Average gate at Leicester is around 16,000 and thats cos they can't fit any more in. The lowest supported sides are Newcastle who get around 5,000 average gate the rest average between 8000 - 14,000

Honesty in how you deal with oppents,
    You might shake their hands at the end of the game, but accross that line anything goes. the whole point is to try and stop your opponent playing or winding them up. So much gamesmanship goes on, diving on the ball to stop the opposition getting it, shirt pulling, blocking any little advantage.

no diving when someone hits you,
    Watch a game everyone kicks the ball ahead, finds the nearest bloke and runs in to the nearest man and falls to the floor claiming obstruction! It's so widespread. MArk Regan the Bristol hooker was banned after admiting he made a meal of an oppositions scrum half's boot accidently touching his face. the scrum half had been sent off and the game won.

no mouthing off at refs,
    This happens but the in game rules mean the ball is marched forward 10 metres by people doing this. You'll get a bollocking of you're own team for doing it!

no acting like a prima donna
    Some of those in the game, not many granted they are all still happy to mix with the public

there are plenty of less 'honest' aspects of Rugby....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Coming from a man who thinks Baseball is a interesting sport!

I was wondering how long before you mentioned that but since you started it name 10 great rugby movies.

1. This Sporting Life
    2. errr
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite] he walks up into the stand pushes the guy into his seat and lays 6 punches in his face. 18 stone 6ft 6in of headcase then gets pulled off

ooh eer missus
  • Options
    I disagree, Rubgy is a more honest game than football is many respects.

Hmm...it's just that the violence in rugby is less overt and obvious and sometimes celebrated. Rugby generally tolerates a higher level of violence - fighting is often punishable with a penalty which doesn't always translate into a kick at goal, just that possession gets turned over, whereas in football the red card is mandatory.
  • Options
    been to a leeds v's st helens game at headingly once with rugby fan mate. didn't really enjoy it. too much stop start etc. was really amased to see the fans all mixed in. chatting together before during and after the game. good atmosphere but football it aint.

rugby film = up and under...with neil morrisey was a class funny film. after all rugby's not serious is it?