Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton next to bottom in League for shots on target

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
I have to give credit to Scoham who brought this to my attention on another thread. I thought it deserved a thread of its' own.

Discuss ...............

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ClubShooting/0,,10794~201025,00.html

Club ON OFF HW
Peterborough 55 49 3
Southampton 48 53 3
Dagenham & R 38 49 3
Leyton Orient 46 38 3
Brentford 35 48 3
Huddersfield 32 50 8
Oldham 40 40 3
Carlisle 43 33 4
Notts County 42 31 3
Yeovil Town 38 31 1
Bristol Rovers 37 31 5
Bournemouth 35 29 2
Swindon Town 33 28 0
MK Dons 30 31 3
Colchester 32 28 2
Hartlepool 32 28 2
Walsall 32 27 3
Charlton 22 37 3
Brighton 23 34 4
Sheffield Wed 27 28 1
Plymouth 22 32 1
Exeter City 29 23 1
Rochdale 27 22 3
Tranmere 15 33 0
On target Off target Hit Woodwork

Comments

• Options
    Ah but there is one team below us for shots on target: Tranmere!

Lack of creativity and a somewhat negative approach may have something to do with it.
  • Options
    And shit strikers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike_CAFC[/cite]And shit strikers.

But then you could argue that Southampton's strikers are far worse than ours given that they have scored just 5 times from 48 attempts on target (1 in almost 10) as opposed to our 7 from 22 (1 in 3).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

But then you could argue that Southampton's strikers are far worse than ours given that they have scored just 5 times from 48 attempts on target (1 in almost 10) as opposed to our 7 from 22 (1 in 3).

Exactly, haven't they gone something like 7 hours without a goal? At least we're scoring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

Exactly, haven't they gone something like 7 hours without a goal? At least we're scoring.

Yes but we haven't actually scored more than one goal in any of our last six matches and only five in total so we can't exactly say we're prolific. Southampton are clealry creating a lot more but missing them whereas we are only actually averaging 3 shots on target per game. Or one every 30 minutes.
  • Options
    Sits back and lights a cigar :-)
  • Options
    I blame the refs.
  • Options
    I don't think our strikers are the problem here. There are better strikers in the league but they're all proven names at this level that we can't afford.

Benson won't do much outside the box but we have to give him good and regular service. Bit like Forster last season, didn't look great but he never had many clear chances.

Sodje is similar in some ways, can look poor outside the box but with the right service he can score a few, his record with us shows that.

Abbott has a decent record in his career. He's again not going to create a chance for himself and needs good crosses and passes into the box.

Anyinsah far too early go judge but he seems useful so far and different to the others.

We just seem to lack ideas or a final ball, that something extra in our play to get in a position to shoot.
  • Options
    I thought Huddersfield would be good at hitting the woodwork this year (8 out of 90) 8.9% compared to our measly (3 out of 62) 4.8%
  • Options
    simple this one, you dont shoot you dont score, you dont score you dont win matches. This cleary shows why we have had a slow start to the season. Also out of the 8 league goals we have scored only 2 have come from a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    Daggers and Orient have had 30 or so more shots than us - not doing them too much good at the moment is it?
  • Options
    No but it makes the result against bournemouth look good now though
  • Options
    i cant wait till ooah reads this!
  • Options
    Its a dreadful statistic but unsurprising as every game I struggle to remember more than a couple of chances of note. Very poor considering some of the players we have.

I sometimes wonder if the players get told to have a shot, it seems they are all too cautious. Take Chelseas 4th against Blackpool as an example, not a great goal but shows that if you have a shot things can happen, if you dont shoot you will never score
  • Options
    Say this every week, THE STRIKERS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM - they are not used. It's the fact we don't create chances for them and have zero creativity and imagination, is Benson / Abbott and co missing tonnes of chances / 1on1's / free headers etc? No, they are not, when they do, that is when you can blame the strikers.
  • Options
    I think the strikers are a problem. Its a vicious circle. If they were sharper in front of goal you would see more chances created because the rest of the team would have confidence in them. We are currently compensating for the fact that we don't believe enough we will score by being too conservative in our approach. Hopefully Saturday will instill some confidence - a 1-0 or 2-1 win in a tight game will depress me almost as much as a draw or defeat because I'm looking for the evidence that we can bloom. It's still early days though.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Hopefully Saturday will instill some confidence - a 1-0 or 2-1 win in a tight game will depress me almost as much as a draw or defeat because I'm looking for the evidence that we can bloom. It's still early days though.

After losing 3-0 at home to Bristol Rovers this can only mean one thing.....and that is a narrow on the edge of your seat hard fought 1-0 Charlton win ;-)
  • Options
    Odd given that we've got a number of nifty wingers. I think there's a tactical thing where we often push for a period of the game and then sit back later in games.
  • Options
    That is part of the problem - of course we are expecting that sort of game because that is generally what happens. The players and Parky need to find a way to break that and instill the confidence. We will see that when we score a goal and rather than be extra cautios, start looking for the second instead. At the moment, this feels risky to the players because they don't beleive that if we create the chances we will score and playing offensively exposes you more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think the strikers are a problem. Its a vicious circle. If they were sharper in front of goal you would see more chances created because the rest of the team would have confidence in them.

so you think we are passing backwards instead of forwards because the rest of the team don't rate their strikers? we are consistently going full 90 mins with creating 2 or 3 chances and half of them will be half baked chances at that. Forgetting the JPT, has Benson been given even 1 clear goal scoring chance with us? He seems to make runs and pop up in the right places but the ball doesn't follow him, what else can he do? It's the final ball / killer pass that just doesn't exist in this team and our biggest downfall. I don't really believe at league one quality level and the physical nature of the league that strikers should be relied or expected to create thier own chances regularly. Our defence is certainly promotion capable, just going forward that will stop us progressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    What nichorob said
  • Options
    I think it's pshycological - it's not just the strikers -it's just the team hasn't got the belief it can convert enough chances into goals so it puts more emphasis into stopping them which in turn encourages opponents to play higher up the pitch as they feel less under threat. A couple of emphatic wins could completely change things or a striker going on a purple patch. Maybe I was being harsh saying the strikers are the problem but I do believe they are the answer. Can at least one of them step up - that is the question?

Say we start to twig that if you give Benson chances he will convert a high percentage- you'll see more chances created, I promise.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He must be converting chances in training.

The biggest problem is we are not attacking as a team enough.

When going forward we seem to attack in pairs sometimes there is 3 players in an offensive position we need to flood the area with atleast 4 or sometimes 5 in a more attack minded formation

Benson and abbott are collecting the ball with their back to goal with half the pitch behind them .

When they do it should be laid off and they move along with supporting midfielders
  • Options
    With very few exceptions a striker is only as good as the service he gets from midfield.

From what I've seen (all home games except the JPT) the actual conversion rate of chances created by our strikers has been better than recent seasons. The problem in my eyes is that we are not creating the chances for the strikers to convert.
  • Options
    It's confidence or lack of it what causes what you have seen. Wouldn't disagree that our conversion rate isn't the worse but I still think it still stands that our players aren't confident of scoring. If we get a goal, they fancy their chances better of defending it than trying to get another. If it's nil - nil they know a goal to the opponents mean they need 2 which they are not confident about getting - so they play a bit cautiously which means players can get isolated up front.
  • Options
    How about playing 3 at the back on Saturday ? That would force us to be more offensive minded!!!
  • Options
    ---------------Worner----------------
    Francis - Doherty - Llera - Jackson
    ---------------Semedo----------------
    Wagstaff-------------------------Reid
    ----------------Martin-----------------
    ----------Benson - Abbott------------

That's what I would go for on Saturday, with an emphasis on attack.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Edit: about the service. I also agree with nichorob. This isn't like the last few seasons with Varney regularly missing chances, or McLeod being brought on as a sub having to help us win the game. Apart from his debut, Benson has had 1 or 2 chances in most games. The likes of Beckford, Lambert, Holt etc last season had plenty of chances, same with the top scorers this season.

On the formation, we played a diamond midfield in a few games last season. Was with 4 CMs rather than wingers though. I remember Dowie trying it with wingers once but I think it was far too attacking and we struggled?
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Odd given that we've got a number of nifty wingers. I think there's a tactical thing where we often push for a period of the game and then sit back later in games.
    Nifty wingers yes but Reid and Wagstaff are more goalscorers than crossers/creators. Martin doesn't seem the type to get plenty of crosses in either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    Worner
    Francis - Doherty - Llera - Jackson
    Semedo
    Wagstaff
    Reid
    Martin

Benson - Abbott

That's what I would go for on Saturday, with an emphasis on attack.

I agree with that lineup apart from Llera. Anyone but Miguel please!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    I agree with that lineup apart from Llera. Anyone but Miguel please!

I don't think we have much of a choice until Dailly and Fortune are fit!