Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bobby Smith RIP

Double winning Spurs and England.....dont make them like that any more.....Saw him when we just lost 3-2 at WHLin the cup when they won the double.

Not a bad record......Ah well....! http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/19/bobby-smith-obituary

Comments

• Options
    Remember him well, a big, butling player but with a good touch. Saw him score twice for Enland at Wembley in the 9-3 demolition of Scotland in '61. Believe he suffered badly from the effects of injuries in later years. RIP.
  • Options
    One of my Dad's all time favourites players. Built like a brick s... house, but had a great touch. Although I never saw him play in the flesh, I've watched many a video of him. Dont think I've ever seen a braver centre forward the way he used to batter the 'keepers when the crosses came in. Was fortunate enough to meet him when I attended one of the Tottenham Hall of Fame induction events and he was sat on our table with Pat Jennings and Alan Mullery. The word is used to liberally these days, but he really was a Tottenham legend. RIP.
  • Options
    The Tottenham v Burnley FA Cup final is the first football match I can clearly remember watching on television and Bobby Smith played an integral part in that match. Along with Jimmy Greaves his contribution stuck out for me as a young boy.
  • Options
    Saw him play for Brighton at the Den in his latter days. Had a bit of a beer gut! As you can imagine, he took a lot of stick, but as I recall he was giving it back in equal measures.
  • Options
    Reading his obituary I cannot help but think how unjust it is that a very good even, arguably, great player like Bobby Smith must have struggled financially after his playing days whilst lazy dross like Marcus Bent, Jeffers and others will never have to get a "proper job" in their lives unless they choose to of course which is unlikely.
  • Options
    You only have to look at '66 World Cup winners selling off their shirts and medals to realise that, don't you. Don't get much higher than winning the World Cup, eh?